3.5 Engine Rattle

Edge Driver 64

I have been getting random codes on my 2011 Edge. Now it has an engine rattle and a slight chug. I took it to the dealer and told them I'm getting Petting P0012 and P0420 codes. I need the to diagnose and let me know what is wrong. I did a little research and the 12 code is trimming over retarded bank one and 420 is 02 sensor out of range. The 420 can be triggered by the 12. They informed me I need a new engine and converter. I asked about the two codes and they said they only got the 420 code. They also said the knock was a bad engine and the converter was bad, they could do the repairs for 8,250.00.

I'm getting random codes that would lead me to believe something else is wrong, may be the ECM. I'm getting 0012, 0022 , 0420 , 0301 but they come and except the 0012 and 0022.

Wasting about putting a pressure gauge on it to check the oil pressure. Does any one know what the oil pressure should be or any ideas.

Any Ford tech lurking?

Welcome and sorry to hear. How many miles on your Edge?

It is most likely a bad VCT solenoid on Bank 1 OR the timing chains are done for. I am guessing since you are hearing rattling that the timing chains are done for. Sadly this can be an expensive fix, maybe $1600 or so, at which time it is also advisable to replace all 4 solenoids & the water pump. Still nowhere near the cost quoted for a new engine. If you can find a nice low mileage used engine, the replacement cost would be around $3,000 most likely. These prices should hold at a qualified independent shop, as dealers almost always charge significantly more.

The converter may or may not be bad. Poor timing control can lead to symptoms because of poor combustion. May clear up once the timing issue is addressed.

• 9 months later...