spare tire suggestion

Mgavin1985

I am looking for advice I have 2013 edge trim is SE. I bought the factory sport wheels 22 inches. what can I do for a spare? can I use the spare wheel and just put a larger tire on it to match the height of the sport wheels on 265/40r22 tires or does the sport trim come with a different spare wheel?

I think the question was could he swap out the temporary spare tire so it matches the height of the new tires.

There is a 1.3 inch height difference between the factory sport tires and the SE tires. I don't know if they supply a different spare from the factory or not - that's only a 4% difference.

Perhaps someone with the factory 22s can provide their spare tire specs for comparison. I couldn't find them on fordparts.com.

You could go with a slightly shorter sidewall on the 22" tires to keep them the same diameter if you're buying new tires.

It does not matter the spare is only designed for about 50 miles of use. If you have a flat the tire is only supposed to be operated at 50 mph. Enough to get you to the tire shop. The AWD system will adapt short term to the difference. Main theory being you quickly get the tire replaced/repaired.

• Like 1

With a stock 40 series sidewall, how much shorter are you thinking to bring it to the same height as the spare (which I believe is a 18" wheel). Your logic won't hold water.

The 'space saver' spare is just that. Even a small 245/60/18 tire will not fit in the spare cavity.

'You could go with a slightly shorter sidewall on the 22" tires to keep them the same diameter if you're buying new tires'.

I think the question was could he swap out the temporary spare tire so it matches the height of the new tires.

There is a 1.3 inch height difference between the factory sport tires and the SE tires. I don't know if they supply a different spare from the factory or not - that's only a 4% difference.

Perhaps someone with the factory 22s can provide their spare tire specs for comparison. I couldn't find them on fordparts.com.

You could go with a slightly shorter sidewall on the 22" tires to keep them the same diameter if you're buying new tires.

With a stock 40 series sidewall, how much shorter are you thinking to bring it to the same height as the spare (which I believe is a 18" wheel). Your logic won't hold water.

The 'space saver' spare is just that. Even a small 245/60/18 tire will not fit in the spare cavity.

'You could go with a slightly shorter sidewall on the 22" tires to keep them the same diameter if you're buying new tires'.

I was referring to whether the existing temp spare would work ok with the factory 22"s (assuming the same size factory tires). I think it's ok - I doubt they use a different temp spare for the factory 22s even on AWD models since you're only supposed to drive for max 50 miles.

The issue on replacing the temporary spare with a regular tire is not the diameter but the width. A regular tire is too tall laying on its side.

• Like 1

The issue on replacing the temporary spare with a regular tire is not the diameter but the width. A regular tire is too tall laying on its side.

Height as well. I had a flat and tried to put the regular tire in the well for trandport. Not even close. Way too big.

As I stated, mine is a 17". From the looks of it, don't believe an 18" will fit. Do you have an 18" in yours?

Thanks for replies that is good news I'll just use SE spare in case of flat. I replaced tires on sport rims for the first holy Christ are they expensive I went with new general tires g-max as 05. I wanted Contential DWS but too expensive. Contential owns general so these are suppose to be poor mans DWS. Looks like tread should be decent for winter weatherpost-44395-0-45948400-1504743997_thumb.pngpost-44395-0-45948400-1504743997_thumb.png

Couple of things about 22's. They run hard and wear out fast. (Not my words, Ford's. In the Owners Manual.)

They do not warrant 22" tires are the fail easily and wear out quickly. At dealers for oil change, service agent came in waiting area to bs, told me just just replaced 2nd tire for Edge that just left. First tire hit a pothole, second one picked a up a screw. Guy was complaining that that tires were junk and getting expensive. (Car was only two months old at that point and he had already bought two new tires.) Hopefully you will not run into such bad kick like he did, but I would recommend you carry a spare; as the odds favor it.

• Like 1

3.5L engine noted for water pump failures (allows coolant to leak inside the engine, diluting the oil and killing the engine. One good way to prevent is to change coolant on schedule. Plastic guides wearing on timing chains. (Again do all scheduled maintenance is best defense).

2.xL direct inject turbo engines noted for carbon buildup on back side of intake valves. Several have installed Catch Cans with varying results.

Fuel tanks corroding and leaking gas. (Recalls issued).

Air bags needing replacing. (Recall).

Brake boosters failing. (Ford replacing on several different years).

(What did I forget?)

All-in-all, a very reliable car.

Edited by enigma-2