HVAC issue!

hawks05

My wife's vehicle is a 2008 Ford Edge Limited. It has dual climate controls.

The issue we are having is not mater how hot you put the driver side it seems to still blow cold air. I have messed with it in the synced mode and the dual mode. The passenger side temp will change in either mode but the driver side will not. It also seems when you put the setting/settings in low the passenger side gets colder.

Thanks in advance for any help.

I want to make sure i have this straight. when both sides are set to HI in synced mode or independent, if an actuator is stuck it will tell the a/c compressor to run so that the driver side will blow cold air.

I think you're misunderstanding how the temp control works. There is cold air coming from the evaporator coil and hot air coming from the heater core. The blend door determines how much of each one gets blended together (thus the name :) ). So even if the compressor is running the blend door can give you 100% hot air.

• Like 1

I have a 2008 SEL without dual climate control, cabin air filter screen was totally plugged, after I cleaned it I noticed that the drivers side AC was room temp while the passenger side was cool. Are there 2 blend doors if I don't have dual climate control?

I would expect you have 1 blend door, not 100% sure. But, does the driver side get hot when you turn the heat on? If yes, the then the blend door is working (changing temp), I'd then say your low on Freon. I faced a similar issue where the driver side was warmer than the passenger side & it was due to low Freon, apparently it causes the evaporator to cool unevenly hence one side colder than the other.

• Like 1

I looked up service manual and there is only one actuator controlling the blend door(s). Wasn't able to determine if there were still two separate doors connected by linkage or a single larger door.

If two doors makes sense that one side was warm if the linkage broke. (If just one large door both sides would be the same, no matter what the actuator was doing).

• 2 weeks later...

I would expect you have 1 blend door, not 100% sure. But, does the driver side get hot when you turn the heat on? If yes, the then the blend door is working (changing temp), I'd then say your low on Freon. I faced a similar issue where the driver side was warmer than the passenger side & it was due to low Freon, apparently it causes the evaporator to cool unevenly hence one side colder than the other.

Spot ON omar302, didn't have access to shop so i bought a 12oz can of ACPro, gave it a shot and cooled right down, Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

Just joined the group and I am having the same issue - driver side always like warm when heat is on. But passenger side is nice and hot.

I have the 2008 Edge SEL w/o dual climate control.

HOWEVER, I have a driver side and passenger side blend door actuator.

Since the passenger side works perfectly (fan 1-4, with A/C or without, hot and cold setting, and all the vent configurations) and the driver side works the same EXCEPT HEAT, I am assuming it is either the driver side blend door linkage that is out of place or the driver side actuator is bad.

I will be testing tomorrow to figure it out. Ill posy an update.

Here is a manual for this issue

Ford Edge HVAC blend doors.pdf

Edited by Shanej

Update - the driver side blend door is for the hot/cold door. I removed it and was able to manually move the door back and forth, no blockage.

After talking to the service department at ford they said that the 2008 edge is Plummer for dual climate control even of you didn't get the model that has the feature.

What this means is that there are 3 blend doors. The 2 already mentioned and the one up by the evaporator or under the dashboard.

This one is used for the dual climate control; again, even if you dont have the feature.

So what seems to have happened is that this valve or door or whatever you want to call it is stuck/moved, into the cold position for the driver side.

This is why when I turn on the A/C and high heat, the driver side gets cold and the passenger side is hot.

Now, the fix.......any ideas? I assume I have to remove the dash board but I am really hoping I don't have to.

Help?

Thanks

Try running a HVAC module reset. Runs a full diagnostic, excercises the door motors and displays any error codes. (This procedure only works with Digital Climate Control Systems).

----------------------

To enter the self-test, press the OFF and floor buttons simultaneously and then press the AUTO button within two seconds. The display will show a dashed line in the center of the climate control display window of the integrated control panel (ICP).

The test may run as long as 30 seconds. Record all DTCs displayed. The self-test is completed when 888 appears in the center of the climate control display window of the ICP. (On mine a good test ends with 88 88).

To exit the self-test and retain all intermittent Air Temperature Powertrain DTCs, press the (cooler) side of the TEMP Sensor Circuit Control/Emissions

button. The RCC module will exit the self-test High Diagnosis(PC/ED)and retain all intermittent DTCs.

To exit the self-test and clear all DTCs, press the front defrost button. All RCC module DTCs will be cleared.

Always exit the self-test before powering the system down (system turned off).

Update - the driver side blend door is for the hot/cold door. I removed it and was able to manually move the door back and forth, no blockage.

After talking to the service department at ford they said that the 2008 edge is Plummer for dual climate control even of you didn't get the model that has the feature.

What this means is that there are 3 blend doors. The 2 already mentioned and the one up by the evaporator or under the dashboard.

This one is used for the dual climate control; again, even if you dont have the feature.

So what seems to have happened is that this valve or door or whatever you want to call it is stuck/moved, into the cold position for the driver side.

This is why when I turn on the A/C and high heat, the driver side gets cold and the passenger side is hot.

Now, the fix.......any ideas? I assume I have to remove the dash board but I am really hoping I don't have to.

Help?

Thanks

Update - All blend doors are working fine.

Last night I switched out the thermostat as it seemed to be stuck on. This worked for the night. I was getting all kinds of heat in all different settings driving home.

UNFORTUNATELY, this morning I did not have heat again.

Is there a reason the thermostat would stay open on a new thermostat?

Thanks,

Shanej