Navigation Update

• 3 weeks later...

Well supposedly map updates are out for SYNC3. Must be ordered through you dealer and requires your VIN and APIM serial #. Cost is around $150 and you get version 1.16...yup maps from 2016...what an upgrade.

Its brand new so don't be surprised if your dealer is in the dark yet. I would imagine Ford pushed out some info on it to the dealers.

• Like 2

Lolololololololol, when most people can use Waze, Google Maps & Car Play for nearly free & charge $150? Wow....

I'm assuming that this requires a dealer visit or is it done via WiFi?

Its an order-able part...you get a usb flash drive specific to your vehicle and you get to spend 70 minutes letting it update.

• Like 1

$150 on top of the $800 outdated option to get what is essentially 2016 maps? Is that what I am reading?

Guess my Garmin will play backup when traveling to parts unknown, though I have recently canceled my landline and gone to cell phones. Have Android auto working with google maps or waze, and data charges..........would much prefer to use the sync system with navigation that I paid for. Ford really needs to step it up with the navigation or just drop it and quit pretending. (misleading customers)

Well supposedly map updates are out for SYNC3. Must be ordered through you dealer and requires your VIN and APIM serial #. Cost is around $150 and you get version 1.16...yup maps from 2016...what an upgrade.

Its brand new so don't be surprised if your dealer is in the dark yet. I would imagine Ford pushed out some info on it to the dealers.

Well $150 for update would SUCK when Malaysian, Australia, and South Africa according to some web sites get free Ford Navigation updates for 5 years.

Here's the South Africa web site:

http://www.wheels24.co.za/OffRoad_and_4x4/Bakkie_and_SUV/ford-upgrades-ranger-everest-with-sync-3-navigation-and-more-20170411

Sounds like Ford doesn't care about us here in the USA where it was started.

I sure hope that this site:

https://ford.welcome.naviextras.com/

comes thru with the free navigation upgrades, at least for 5 years as in the other countries.

Well $150 for update would SUCK when Malaysian, Australia, and South Africa according to some web sites get free Ford Navigation updates for 5 years.

Here's the South Africa web site:

http://www.wheels24.co.za/OffRoad_and_4x4/Bakkie_and_SUV/ford-upgrades-ranger-everest-with-sync-3-navigation-and-more-20170411

Sounds like Ford doesn't care about us here in the USA where it was started.

I sure hope that this site:

https://ford.welcome.naviextras.com/

comes thru with the free navigation upgrades, at least for 5 years as in the other countries.

I agree it is not good. But I think it is from the Maps provider(s) not Ford. And it probably is their last chance to get some money due to Google & Apple providing free Maps with Android Auto & Apple Car Play.

TANSTAAFL. The cost of those “free” map updates is built into the cost of the vehicle up front.

Map updates have never been free on any vehicle I know in the US - certainly not on Fords.

I would prefer to see a subscription where you pay $75 a year and you get automatic free updates every year with the latest maps. But even that may not be feasible with CP and AA and Waze applink.

TANSTAAFL. The cost of those “free” map updates is built into the cost of the vehicle up front.

Map updates have never been free on any vehicle I know in the US - certainly not on Fords.

I would prefer to see a subscription where you pay $75 a year and you get automatic free updates every year with the latest maps. But even that may not be feasible with CP and AA and Waze applink.

I don't know what you mean by "TANSTAAFL" but since we paid $800 for the Navigation I would say that we have paid for maps updates up front. Why should Ford not provide them to us when they provide them to other countries for Ford vehicles now.

I don't know what you mean by "TANSTAAFL" but since we paid $800 for the Navigation I would say that we have paid for maps updates up front. Why should Ford not provide them to us when they provide them to other countries for Ford vehicles now.

Is your google broken?

There Ain’t No Such Think As A Free Lunch.

Ford has to pay for map updates. Therefore the customer has to pay for map updates, one way or the other. If Ford provides them for free then they calculated that cost into the cost of the vehicle or the cost of the navigation or both.

In other words, if Ford offered free map updates in the US then either the vehicle cost would go up or the Navigation would cost more than $800.

It’s like going to two furniture stores - one offers free delivery and the other charges $50. The one that offers free delivery will charge you more for the furniture to pay for the delivery costs.

Either way YOU pay for it.

Is your google broken?

There Ain’t No Such Think As A Free Lunch.

Ford has to pay for map updates. Therefore the customer has to pay for map updates, one way or the other. If Ford provides them for free then they calculated that cost into the cost of the vehicle or the cost of the navigation or both.

In other words, if Ford offered free map updates in the US then either the vehicle cost would go up or the Navigation would cost more than $800.

It’s like going to two furniture stores - one offers free delivery and the other charges $50. The one that offers free delivery will charge you more for the furniture to pay for the delivery costs.

Either way YOU pay for it.

You must work for Ford in some way since you seem to always stick up for Ford. To bad you don't use that to get us map updates.

I believe that everyone on this site, other than you, would agree that for $800 we already paid for map updates in the up front cost. You can purchase a Garmin for $140 with lifetime map updates. Don't tell me now how much Ford has to go over the map data to ensure that it is correct before they place it out in vehicles, if they did all that checking than we shouldn't have vehicles that are brand new with maps that are 2-3 years old.

The SYNC3 system in these vehicles is in it's 3 model year 2016-2018 and whether free or for purchase there is no method to even get map updates that we can find, even through dealers. The update process should have been setup 3 years ago prior to the first release of SYNC3. Any business in programming will setup a method to control revisions, update and also backup their software prior to releasing it. Even the free apps you down load on your smart phone have a method for revision and updating, although they use the phone manufacturer for the update process. Ford already had a method in place for the SYNC2 MFT so they could use the same company to offer the updates, it would just be by a different media, USB instead of SD cards.

I don’t work for Ford and this isn’t a Ford issue. When you buy a product - any product - it comes with certain features. You only get a 3 yr bumper to bumper warranty. You want more you have to pay for an extended warranty, even on a $100K super duty or Expedition.

Ford has never offered or hinted at free map updates for the US. You were never promised free map updates. What they do in other countries is meaningless because the pricing is completely different.

Could they offer free map updates? Of course. Should they? Probably. I’m not arguing all that. What I’m saying is that Ford - for whatever reason - chose not to include those updates and those updates do cost Ford money with the map supplier.

The argument that you already paid for it isn’t true. That’s like saying my Edge didn’t come with 22” wheels but since I paid $40K i think they should throw those in for free now.

My Lincoln MKX gets free oil changes but your Edge doesn’t. It also gets a longer warranty. Why? Because it’s built into the price of the MKX but not the Edge.

Just because maps are digital that doesn’t change the equation.

I guess we wouldn't be talking so much about free or paid for updates if Ford would provide the initial map that is up to date when you purchase the vehicle not 2-3 years behind. Also read my last paragraph above, where Ford doesn't even provide a method for us to get an update for the navigation maps for SYNC3.

Still amazed that ford hasn't found a way to let the customers suggest map edits/updates. How many cars on the road with navigation, you have millions of drivers at your fingertips providing you with useful information.

Hit a (?) on the screen, and a little menu comes up with options such as:
-Incorrect speed limit

-Not at this destination

-New road construction

blah blah blah.. you can do any number of different options, and once ford has received numerous complaints about the same thing, they investigate.

how might they investigate?

Hell, google maps street view is more accurate than the damn navigation. Ford could partner with them to get the latest updates. Better yet, start their own division of maps, create some jobs, make the navigation price a bit higher on the initial purchase, but offer free updates via wifi and USB so there are no dealer visits and time wasted in the service department.

If someone wanted to pay me 50k a year to drive a new ford with a big ball of cameras on top all across the country, sign me the hell up.

Or subcontract someone from a local Ford dealer within 50 miles to investigate once every 4 months and confirm an update is needed, then release the damn thing twice a year.

Still amazed that ford hasn't found a way to let the customers suggest map edits/updates.

Ford builds cars. It's the suppliers who design and build the add-ons. The map software is produced by HERE maps and the DO have a procedure for sending in edits. I've done it twice.

In order to just "hit a button" the navigation unit would need to be a full computer, with a specific i/o function dedicated to just this purpose. Used what, once a year? If you go onto the HERE website you will find the method for making edits on their maps.

As far as why so long, I called HERE and it's not them, it's Ford. Appearently Ford has decided to switch venders for the map software. But then that's not comfirmed either.

Edited by enigma-2

It’s NNG software.

https://ford.welcome.naviextras.com

That site does say Ford Sync 3, but it's been saying updates are on their way for over 2 months. If you go to their "map update portal" site and search, there is nothing about Ford or Sync3 listed anywhere. It maybe that there eventually will be updates there but Ford is taking their sweet time about it, over 3 model years of vehicles and still no method to update maps.

https://www.naviextras.com/shop/portal/newLogin

Edited by FordGuy1

The point was they appear to be the new map supplier for sync 3. It's possible they need Sync 3 to be able to perform the map updates and sync 3 is just now rolling out.

I don't understand your saying that sync 3 is just rolling out? Sync 3 has been in vehicles starting with Ford model year 2016 (partial) and full in model years 2017 & 2018. That's 3 model years. That means that it was at least developed in 2014 or 2015 at the latest.