2011 Edge valve cover

Gbczyk84

After finding oil in the air filter of our 3.5L 2011 Edge, i purchased the updated valve cover to fix the issue. Replacement was easy, besides keeping all of the wires out of the way.

This is not a How-to as FordTechMakuloco has all the information on YouTube. Simply posting some photos of the inside for those interested. I could not tell any physical difference between the 2 parts.

Part number - BR3Z-6582-R

post-37686-0-33316900-1505357890_thumb.jpg

post-37686-0-15243700-1505357900_thumb.jpg

post-37686-0-74668300-1505357912_thumb.jpg

Edited by Gbczyk84
  • Like 1

Looks like the baffling around the lower right hand part of the valve cover in this pic is deeper, for one thing. That seemed prominent to me, but could be light & shadows. Plus those 3 shapes are extended.

attachicon.gifUpdated Valve Cover Gen 1-5_4_Comparison.jpg

I plan on finding out because I will cut it up to look when I finish installing the new one. Not cutting up the new one but at least will see the inside of the old one.

• Like 1

On the "narrow end" of the cover there is a ford part number in molding. What are they they on the new vs old? I honestly don't see a difference either and think you simply changed a like for like cover.

edited to add - I do see a difference in the far side of the "narrow" side of the cover - there are baffle intakes slots.

Edited by freebird
  • Like 3

Isn't it a gift of words how the Ford Service Bulletin calls it "this concern" rather than "this problem" and therefore doesn't take ownership of their design issue......

It doesn't make any difference what they call it. Even if it was called a "problem" or "defect" it's still not a recall and therefore subject to normal warranty rules.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

So. Almost 2 month update since the replacement, pulled the air filter and again it is covered in oil.. maybe not as bad as prior, it is still oiled now.

So anyone have any words of wisdom?

I also have a 2013 SHO with a similar issue, that of course also has a updated valcover fix available. Im hesitant on purchasing one for that vehicle seeing the fix for the edge doesnt really solve it.

Since I still have oil in the air filter 2 months since the replacement, there may not be a difference between old and new.

On my MKX, before the replacement cover, I saw oil on the intake tube up to the throttle body, though did not see it on the filter itself. I had the cover replaced at least a 18 months ago, and recently I checked & still no oil was present in the intake tube or throttle body.

When you have the valve cover replaced, did you clean the whole intake tube? Maybe there was oil residue.

• Like 1