3rd Brake light 2015 Edge question

That's a new one to me. There are rules about distance when using high beams (not within 500 feet oncoming or 300 feet following) but here in Florida the only restriction on fog lights (other than mounting and aiming) is that there can't be more than four total forward facing lights of more than 300 candlepower and that they may be used with low beam headlights.

I forgot to put the state, it's a quirky state law...but now I can't even recall the state...but I had a old hidplanet link way back that listed lighting laws in all 50 states like 5 years ago...

Yeah, I know what you mean about the inconsistency of state laws. Up until a year or two ago, Florida still had a law on the books that prohibited headlight modulators on motorcycles despite the fact that they have been legal under federal law for many years. We all took to carrying a laminated copy of the federal law in case we got pulled over.

Yes, I know it seems contradictory that I would use a headlight modulator but complain about how annoying a flashing brake light can be. The difference is that a headlight modulator makes a small vehicle like a motorcycle more visible when other drivers are actually looking (such as when they're turning on to a street or across traffic). Rear end collisions are caused by distracted drivers or following too closely - neither of which would be affected by whether the brake lights flash or not (although I love the idea of flashing under extreme braking only). I can't tell you how many times I've seen a driver about to turn in front of me and then suddenly stop when seeing the modulating headlight.

Here is a site with links to the various state vehicle codes: https://www.motorists.org/blog/vehicle-code-by-state/

Edited by TheWizard

In general, there is no reason to increase following distance to a motorcycle compared to a car - the 2-second rule works in both cases. There is a common misconception that motorcycles can stop faster than a car but that's only if they fall over. Yes, they are lighter but they also have less than half the tire contact patch for traction not to mention that a significant number of riders (particularly on large V-Twins... without mentioning any names) don't know what the front brake is for or deliberately avoid using it for fear of going over the handlebars.

Of course it's always a good idea to increase following distance in poor weather conditions - bikes can be especially sensitive to aquaplaning. Also, increase following distance if the rider appears inexperienced or unstable... it can be really annoying to have to pull a bike (or a Miata for that matter) out from your undercarriage.

As far as distance when stopped, I was always taught to be sure I could see where the rear tire meets the road on the vehicle in front when stopped at a light. That applies to both bikes and cars. It ensures you have enough room to go around without backing up if the vehicle in front stalls or doesn't move for some other reason. It also provides buffer space in case someone hits you from behind and pushes you forward.

This reminds me of something a Driving Instructor told me once.

Who can stop faster a Tractor Trailer or a BMW M3?

The answer is the one who is paying attention. Apparently, his son wasn't paying attention in the M3 & rear-ended a Tractor Trailer. Always pay attention to your surroundings.

Problem is now-a-days, vehicles are so comfortable, quiet & have so much technology, that people really forget what they're doing. I was just talking to a co-worker about autonomous vehicles & how for 99% of drivers would be wonderful. (Think about how many accidents, slow downs, traffic jams could be avoided if the human factor was virtually eliminated). I for one, couldn't stand autonomous cars, mainly because i like to drive. But, the vast majority of people 'cannot drive'. I partially think of their training, if any, & the ease of driving these newer vehicles, people don't realize the dangers of driving anymore.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if your question got answered, OP. I just did this with mine. No need to remove the brake light. Open the hatch and remove the center trim piece at the top of the rear window. Just give it a firm yank. The wires from the 3rd brake light are behind there.

And let me tell you how much it does grab attention. I have the flasher on all of my cars. It does not go unnoticed by people behind me. I get calls a lot, "is your brake light supposed to flash?" Yes. "why?" It grabbed your attention didn't it? It does a quick 3 flash, Similar to a firetruck or ambulance. As for it being annoying to the person behind you, oh well. But to be nice, mine has the capability to disable the flash for 10 seconds after hitting the brakes. So in stop and go traffic it doesn't flash every time I hit the brake.

Edited by tmarsh
  • Like 2

Not sure if your question got answered, OP. I just did this with mine. No need to remove the brake light. Open the hatch and remove the center trim piece at the top of the rear window. Just give it a firm yank. The wires from the 3rd brake light are behind there.

And let me tell you how much it does grab attention. I have the flasher on all of my cars. It does not go unnoticed by people behind me. I get calls a lot, "is your brake light supposed to flash?" Yes. "why?" It grabbed your attention didn't it? It does a quick 3 flash, Similar to a firetruck or ambulance. As for it being annoying to the person behind you, oh well. But to be nice, mine has the capability to disable the flash for 10 seconds after hitting the brakes. So in stop and go traffic it doesn't flash every time I hit the brake.

Yes, I did it exactly the way you said. Thanks for the input regardless. Mine also disables for stop and go traffic.

That's not just an opinion... if the tractor trailer (or any vehicle for that matter) was already stopped then a flashing brake light could not have made any difference because it wouldn't have been flashing at the time - it only flashes at the start of braking. And that's part of what makes them so very annoying... so many fools are stabbing at their brakes on the highway when simply maintaining a safe following distance and backing off the throttle as necessary would be quite sufficient in most cases. In fact, I'd venture to say that the inappropriate use of brake lights (especially flashing ones) is a significant factor in many highway slow downs because everyone behind hits their brakes causing a chain reaction slow down.

Well, since we are now reduced to speculation and conjecture about accident causes, I'd venture to say that the number one cause of rear end accidents is tail gating, I will never understand why the fool tailgating me thinks that by doing so, traffic will travel faster.

If you rear end a stopped tractor trailer then you obviously weren’t even looking at the road ahead so a flashing brake light would not have helped.

If you can’t discuss something without name calling then don’t bother posting.

do.. please do tell where i called you any names. don't get your panties in a wad. If flashing lights don't get peoples attention, please call your local police department and tell them not to bother with flashing lights. a simple red and blue glowing on top will do the job.

i wouldn't suppose the kid had his eyes closed. if he's bouncing his eyes between a cell phone, a cheeseburger, the bikini car wash, a flashing light has a potential to draw your eyes attention. bright colors, same story. if you disagree with that, then be sure to call the local construction company and tell them not to bother with their lime green reflective vests, just wear black and do jumping jacks as they cross the road.

many things have POTENTIAL to stop an accident. daytime running lights, flashing brake lights, hi-vis clothing, any little bit helps (and adds up). but for you to say it would do NOTHING, was an ignorant statement.

Edited by Mikula
  • Like 1

Flashing lights get attention of folks who are looking in that direction already. If someone is looking down at their phone or the radio or somewhere else they’re not going to see anything in front of them.

You said my opinion was ignorant. That’s not necessary. My panties aren’t in a wad - I’m just doing my job as the moderator. And for the last time - if you can’t have a discussion without personal attacks then don’t bother posting.

Flashing lights get attention of folks who are looking in that direction already. If someone is looking down at their phone or the radio or somewhere else they’re not going to see anything in front of them.

You said my opinion was ignorant. That’s not necessary. My panties aren’t in a wad - I’m just doing my job as the moderator. And for the last time - if you can’t have a discussion without personal attacks then don’t bother posting.

you can't be reasoned with. look forward. continue looking forward while you have your boyfriend stand 90* to your left with a strobe light.. you'll see it flashing. it will get your attention. however you will not be looking at it.

ever have a something thrown at you when you weren't looking? if it is in your peripherals, you most likely had flinched/ducked/thrown an arm up (albeit probably late). we're not discussing reaction time here, we're discussing the plausibility of a flashing light in your field of vision causing you to notice it, which you are stating WILL NOT happen.

we have 180* field of view, and 130* vertical visual field. outside of the visual field we need stimulus to make us notice things. anything from movement, relative to the background, or a flashing or pulsating light, or bright light. why do you think our indicator lights flash? so they can be seen by other drivers, even outside their field of vision. I'm not staring at the cars lights next to me when they turn their signal on to move into my lane, the flashing sure helps to notice them coming

Like Mikula said, I've also found that these incidious lights get my attention, even if I'm looking somewhere else. They do grab your attention but it's ALWAYS annoying. Art is right, if your looking down you won't see the flashing, but your not supposed to be looking at your cell phone when there are other cars around. Right?

So, this thread devolved quickly...

1. There's clearly a legality involved. If you are not an Emergency Responder, a flashing light is not allowed (I had to take 2 EVOC courses and sign my life away to get a blue light in NJ).

2. If you're not paying attention, a neon barn wouldn't grab your attention. Yes, I agree that something is better than nothing, but you just can't unteach stupid.

3. I have been on a conference call (hands-free) and, admittedly, have paid no attention to flashing lights in my rearview (luckily, they blew past me).

Clearly, anyone will do whatever they want to their vehicles, just please keep in mind the effect it will have on all other drivers who, respectfully, pay attention.