Hid lights with auto on

I have installed an hid kit in my 2013 Edge. Everything works great except when I switch to the auto setting. The lights just flicker and one goes out. I have a relay harness installed. Shouldnt the harness be suppying full power to the ballasts? If so, why would the auto setting on the light switch be a problem? Im confused!!

Edited by Sandpointspud

What brand and wattage? Some owners have had luck with capacitors added to the kits to give that initial boost.

Did you check polarity of the plugs, switch ballasts, etc?

Here's some food for thought:

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/9188-automatic-lights-not-working-with-hid-kit/

Edited by candurin
  • Like 1

I have capacitors, great HID brand, and still find the odd one light no start. To be honest (and I know a lot of people will say "that's why oem is the best"), but if you start your car in the lights off position and immediately turn them to on (thus negating the auto light function) you will never have the problem again. It's muscle memory for me now so I'm fine with it. Better than ugly halogens or only one hid bulb working.

• Like 1

Check the ground (if your kit has one) and make sure all connections are tight. Maybe even check and make sure all plugs are secure and correct polarity.

My TRS kit had some similar symptoms when I first installed. Haven't had any issues since I rechecked, tightened, etc. It's been 5 years and have only ever used Auto setting.

• Like 1