Power Stop Z23 Evolution brake kit upgrade - great performance and value!!!

15k mile update on my Power Stop brake kit!

My leased 2013 Edge Sport developed a shudder you could feel in the steering wheel under braking from warped front rotors at about 12k miles. Two Edge rentals I drove and my current 2013 Edge Sport with 25k miles all had the same condition of warped front rotors and it seems this is a common issue.

I'm a rather "spirited" driver and have a heavy foot. It seems the OEM and basic aftermarket rotors all have a tendency of easily warping under heavy driving conditions. Since this drove me nuts I decided to check out the Power Stop Z23 Evolution K5452 brake upgrade kit which includes front & rear drilled/slotted rotors, related hardware, and ceramic brake pads.

I found the kit on sale for a little over $300 and couldn't possibly be any happier with the results. In addition to a significant improvement in stopping power the rotors are still completely true after 15k miles of hard driving, and the pads are wearing great and generate very little brake dust on the wheels.

Kudos to Power Stop for a great product, great performance and a great dollar for dollar value! I'm really impressed with these brakes and strongly recommend this kit for our Edges!

post-26462-0-87007200-1505958223_thumb.jpg

post-26462-0-39787800-1505958310_thumb.jpg

Edited by edgesportguy
  • Like 2

Yep, got the same kit on my '11. Have about 8500 miles on them so far and no problems or complaints whatsoever. I'd be interested to find out where you got them. I only paid $218 for the same setup from AutoAnything. $300 does not sound like a sale price.

EDIT: Correction: You got the K5452 Z23 set. I went with the KOE5452 OEM set. I did not get the drilled/slotted rotors.

PowerStop KOE5452 F+R Kit.ppt

Edited by chefduane
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

I have a 2013 Sport and was also disappointed that the rotors were warped around 25k. Replaced them with the powerstop OEM kit, saved my ass two weeks after I installed them. Some clown a few cars ahead was weaving and caused an wreck, I was about a foot from the rear of the car in front of me. I've been using Powerstop for the past 10 years on all my vehicles.

Roots, I doubted your post of a 2+ ton vehicle then I looked up the GVCW for the Gen II and you are correct, Sir. The FWD goes 3912lbs and the AWD is 4060lbs. I had no idea that the Gen II's were that heavy! Putting a few groceries and my butt in the seat definitely brings it way past 2 tons.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I have had good experiences with Powerstop products, but none of you are 'warping' your rotors. You need to read up on brake pad deposition. The #1 cause is heavy braking followed by a complete stop with the brakes applied. It welds a bit of pad material onto the rotor and now the rotor surface is uneven and vibrates. Once you are aware of the causes you can adjust your driving style to avoid it.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Used to go to a cheap brake guy, rotors would warp every 10k! Then I found a good honest shop! He pointed out what the "cheap" brake job did wrong. He also suggested the Centric premium rotors and Powerstop semi-metalic pads. I was never happier after he put them in, braking after that was straight and true.

When it comes time to change the brakes on my Edge he's the first guy I am taking it to. I like the slotted rotors as well so will have to watch this post to see how the fair.

I've been lucky so far no warpage on my rotors but then again only have 20k on mine. I have rented a few that were pretty bad. Even the Escape's seem to have problems with their rotors as well.

• Like 1