Considering a used 2015 Sport...

shumax

Our 2007 SEL AWD has about 130k on it. It's served us well, but it's about time to retire it.

My wife and I have been looking at all of the Edge line - SEL/AWD, Titanium and the Sport. We drove all three yesterday and she preferred the Sport because of the interior - stitching on the seats, trim panels, etc. Wow. Never saw that coming, but it's her car, so whatever! :) The 2.0 ECO felt like a rubber band to us. Not linear enough with the acceleration. The 3.5 was nice, but the interior on the Titanium was too bland in black.

So, I found a few 2015 Sports with around 25k-29k on them for between $29k-$32k. They all have the 401A package. $30k seems to be the sweet spot on it based on my location - 44691. I'm curious what I should be looking out for?

I know about the oil pan and water leak. How can I check to see if those have been taken care of? Anything else I should look out for? Where can I look at an extended warranty at? I admit, all of the electronics in these cars has me nervous.

Thanks!
Shumax

I would look at extended warranty first off when buying turbocharged vehicles, without a doubt. First thing after running through the normal "inspection" process - does it accelerate well, brake well, handle well, accidentfree, etc etc etc. To get an idea of pricing, you can visit https://www.lombardfordwarrantys.com/and enter in the info. If you can go for Premiumcare, that is the best. Rental coverage may be separate, check on that. There are other online dealers that may give you even better pricing. Flood, Ziegler, etc. Your selling dealer may even match.

post-23566-0-39934100-1506271588_thumb.jpg

As far as TSBs and recalls on the 2015, you can check those here to get informed:

https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2015/FORD/EDGE/SUV/AWD

and

http://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/Tsb/Results?Year=2015&Make=54&Model=5858

Make sure all recalls are performed, as dealers are required to complete those prior to selling the vehicle.

As far as pricing in your area, HERE.

Thanks for the information. So, wow - those warranties are expensive! Like, $2,500 for 125k of coverage for 7 years with a $100 deductible. I get it - blow an engine and it pays for itself. I was hoping it would be $1,250-$1,500. May have to swallow that some more. That's a lot of $.

Thanks again!

Shumax

I would look for a 2016. You can get a 2016 sport with 401a in the 32k price range. If you go with the 2016 you will get the updated head unit with sync 3 with carplay/ android auto. If you use an Iphone you will need to upgrade the USB ports. If you use android you're good to go.

It will be a year newer, fewer miles, and depending on the build date a year or so left on the factory warranty.

Within the year or so you could save for the extended warranty plan.

HTH

Edited by onyxbfly
  • Like 1

Point me to where on that 2016 with the 401k for 32k. I assume you mean used, correct? Not finding ANY new 2016's at this point. My wife now says pearl white, black or red (in that order) will work. So I now have some serious flexibility. I would much prefer a 2016 for the reasons mentioned. I'm in 44691, but I don't mind driving if it makes sense. I'm not driving 1,000 miles for one, but you get the point...

Very aware of the PTU - have it on my 2014 Explorer Sport and we flushed it twice on the Edge. Definitely an item to watch carefully!

Shumax

Edited by shumax

Yes you and WWW are correct! I was referring to used since the title of your post is "Considering a used 2015"

Here is a used 2016 with 401a that is $254 over your 32k limit. I'm sure the sales manager would not let you leave over $254

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inventorylisting/viewDetailsFilterViewInventoryListing.action?sourceContext=carGurusHomePage_false_0&formSourceTag=112&newSearchFromOverviewPage=true&inventorySearchWidgetType=AUTO&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity=c24832&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity2=c26802&zip=44691&distance=500&searchChanged=true&trimNames=Sport+AWD&colors=Black&colors=Red&colors=White&modelChanged=false&filtersModified=true&sortType=PRICE&sortDirection=ASC#listing=180362450

I found one very quickly using one website. The WWW is big! There has to be dozens if not hundreds of sites to choose from.

PSA: if you belong to a credit union, try to use their car buying service. Most (not all) credit unions use true car. I can't speak to the veracity of their claims but a few of my neighbors have used them and all are happy.

When I initially checked with my credit union. They ran the numbers told me what I was approved for and said they could find me a vehicle for that price. I asked about tags and taxes they said they try to negotiate the best price possible including tags and taxes.

Unfortunately I don't have all the details but call your bank and see if they participate.

Edited by onyxbfly
  • Like 1

Thanks. We are fortunate to be healthy savers. We would pay cash for the used 2016. So, show me those. Many are "bait" off a finance scheme that allows me to participate at $33k. If I can pay cash for it - 401A, AWD, etc., I am in.

Likely is the case I am naive, but I was told today some Sports are FWD. I have not had the chance to research - is that true?

Thanks again!

Shumax.

Well, I vetted that list and came up with nothing, unfortunately. From vehicles with hail damage to a few that had the wrong wheels - 21's won't do well on Ohio's roads. I've been down that path with large rims - never again. Have to keep an eye on it, I guess.

We did decide that the 2016 is the way to go. We get the new Sync and I like the idea of being away from the early 2015's that may have had issues with water leaks and the oil pan, etc.

Shumax

• Like 2

Hail damage - how bad, PDR or worse, dealer willing to fix before delivery?

21's - dealer willing to put on different wheels/tires 4 u, u willing to buy separately and sell the 21's privately?

Sync3 - make sure the 2016 has it, not sure it is guaranteed to be on there just coz it is a 2016.

Issues - always something, sloppy installation even, make sure you have plenty of warranty remaining when you buy.

• Like 1