Antifreeze (coolant) fluid change

Edgingage

Another route that one could follow in refilling a cooling system would be the use of a premixed coolant. Such as Peak Global Lifetime 50/50. Meets Ford ESE-M97B44-A and Ford WSS-M97B51-A1 standards and doesn't change OEM coolant color.

The water used in the mix is deionized water, which is better than distilled and reverse osmosis water. Just pout it in and your done. Easy/peasy.

No matter what's used, the warranties on the coolants always require a full drain and flush. I would also think that if a change in coolant is performed, the flush should also include a neutralizer as well.

The problem with flushing a coolant system usually figuring out how to drain tbe entire system. The closed thermostat presents a formidable blockage in completely draining the engine. In the past I've used a Prestone flush kit where you install a garden hose tee connector in the 3/4" heater hose. It flushed the system using the garden hose by back-flushing the engine and heater core.

Edited by enigma-2
  • Like 2

Draining the coolant is messy. It is a plastic nut on the bottom or the radiator for the 2011+ Do not pull it out as it is attached. Not a real clean way to drain it.

Thanks macbwt and everyone else for the help! I did the coolant flush this weekend and used the same Peak 50/50 pre diluted antifreeze. I must say, your video is spot on and very easy to follow/comprehend the steps. It took me a minute to find the drain plug, and you were right... its definitely messy.

Draining looked the same as yours lol. Luckily i was able to get a decent size bucket under to catch most of it. My coolant looked a bit dirty/dark, so im glad i did it now!

Thanks again for the easy instructions everyone!

• Like 1

Thank you WWWPerfA_ZN0W, enigma-2, macbwt and all for your helpful info, encouragement, advise, suggestions and hints. I changed it using green Motorcraft coolant 70/30 deionized water.

PS: now on to the next task: trans fluid change. Thanks in advance ;)

Edited by Edgingage
  • Like 1