Transfer Sirius Lifetime, Lose 5-Yr Traffic?

I have the same problem with my Mustang. I've had my lifetime subscription for many years, transferring to various portable receivers until I got the car with satellite radio built-in. The reason you lose the traffic (and TravelLink) is because their accounting system is keyed on the ESN of the receiver. They don't have any way to assign your lifetime subscription to the receiver and also assign a separate account for you to pay for traffic on the same receiver - it won't let them create the separate account with the same ESN. It seems like there would be a simple accounting change that could fix this but I have been after them for seven years now without any success.

The other thing to keep in mind is that transferring your lifetime subscription to the built-in receiver in the vehicle ends your ability to ever transfer again. You can only transfer if you have to replace the receiver in the same vehicle because of theft, accidental damage, or it becomes defective. You can no longer transfer to a portable receiver or different vehicle. So you should consider how long you plan to keep the vehicle before making that decision. I have had it on my car for seven years now and plan to keep the car for years to come so it was a good choice for me. I got the lifetime subscription in 2006 when it was on sale for $299 (average $27 per year up to now) so I'm already way ahead of what a regular subscription would have cost. YMMV.

Edited by TheWizard
  • Like 2

Yeah, I contacted customer service. They said theyd get back to me within a day. They never did. Looks like a loosing battle.

Seems to me they should be able to do it if they want. But why would they. As far as they are concerned it means another radio or traffic subscription if they dont.

Not really sure what to do at this point.

Suspend the Lifetime account? It's been a while, but I think you can do that.

Wife has a Lifetime on an aftermarket on her old truck. When she bought her new Mazda, the first CR didn't want to do the transfer, but the second did. My theory is that you only get 3 transfers on a Lifetime, so anytime they do it counts better for them. Rules always change for their benefit....

I've had my Lifetime on my ancient Sirius boombox since 2004-ish (whenever Stern started). The portable part is the size of a small paperback. It's been out in the sun for too long and a good portion of the screen is faded, but hasn't cost me anything since the initial purchase. I don't remember any issue transferring my other monthly subscription from my 2000 BMW to the '07 Edge, but that could of been as simple as dropping one and starting another.

There would be no reason to suspend a lifetime subscription... it will be available for life regardless of whether it's in use or not. If one decides not to transfer the lifetime subscription to a particular vehicle and use a monthly or annual subscription instead then the monthly/annual subscription will be added to your SiriusXM account with the lifetime subscription still there but not being used. The portable or aftermarket receiver it is assigned to will still work or it could be left in a box until needed for another vehicle.

A lifetime subscription can be transferred three times to other portable/aftermarket receivers but only once to an OEM built-in vehicle receiver. You can transfer a monthly/annual subscription whenever you want. Actually, it's not really transferred... a new subscription is added to your account. The cost works out the same as if it was transferred but your account will just show the old receiver's ESN as inactive and the new ESN activated. That applies whether it's a portable/aftermarket receiver or an OEM one. They generally charge $15 for activation of the subscription on the new receiver but otherwise there is no restriction because you're still paying for it. It's the lifetime subscriptions that they want to limit because they're not making any money from them.

Right now Sirius is not playing. They are not offering lapsed accounts and renewal deals and playing hard ball with the take it or leave it approach. I let my account expire tried to renew with a good deal and they said this is the price take it or leave. I left it on the table and walked away. My phone is now my entertainment on the road.

• Like 1