Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford Edge Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Edge Forum - the largest Ford Edge forum discussion board on the web. You must register to create new topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Benefits of membership:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .and more!
Click here to signup now

Guest Message by DevFuse

The official Ford authorized Ford Edge Registry is now live. More here!

Photo
- - - - -

Comprehensive List of Possible Forscan Mods?

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

Ford Edge Legal Resident

• 10,048 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 12:28 PM

which is exactly why no specific mod is good for every use case scenario. in your case, the mod could cause problems. in my case, it removes the annoyance of my horn honking outside the house up the street or wherever. definitely not a "one size fits all" situation!

Agreed

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#42 OFFLINE   roots57

roots57

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 144 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • Edge's Year:2016

Posted 18 October 2017 - 12:49 PM

Agreed

I agree also, all jokes aside.  From day one I found the honking to be incredibly annoying, and also annoying and confusing to other people in the vicinity.  I have a 2 yr old daughter that often falls asleep in the car and that double honk has woken her up before.  Plus I park in a subterranean lot and horns are VERY loud in closed spaces like that.  In my opinion this feature should have been easily selective by the owner, similar to traction control and the other driver assist settings.  There seems to be a large percentage of people who dislike the feature, every Ford forum has multiple posts of people complaining about it and asking how to disable the feature.  Before owning this vehicle, I can't remember ever wishing my car would somehow remind me that it was still running.  Glad there is a way to do it, even if kind of difficult.

#43 OFFLINE   omar302

omar302

Ford Edge Addict

• Edge Platinum Member
  • 1,632 posts
  • Region:Middle East
  • Edge's Year:2011

Posted 18 October 2017 - 01:03 PM

The real solution to the double honk is to just use a soft beeper, mmm..., like most other car manufacturers. You get both, a reminder AND not be annoying to others around you. Nissan for example has been doing from 10 years.

Also, take into consideration that Ford only added this feature midway through 2012, all 2010 & 2011 Ford & Lincoln vehicles with IA key did not have the double honk, how many complaints where there of people forgetting their keys? None that I have seen in any Forum I follow. Never did I also see anyone with a 2011/2012 trying to enable this feature.

#44 OFFLINE   roots57

roots57

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 144 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 01:11 PM

The real solution to the double honk is to just use a soft beeper, mmm..., like most other car manufacturers. You get both, a reminder AND not be annoying to others around you. Nissan for example has been doing from 10 years.

Also, take into consideration that Ford only added this feature midway through 2012, all 2010 & 2011 Ford & Lincoln vehicles with IA key did not have the double honk, how many complaints where there of people forgetting their keys? None that I have seen in any Forum I follow. Never did I also see anyone with a 2011/2012 trying to enable this feature.

A more subtle notification sound would be a good compromise.  Using the horn is way overkill.  I will say that a lower intensity honk sounds rather pathetic though...like a weak "bonk".  My VW Jetta that I owned years back had a less intense honk when arming the alarm and it was comically pathetic sounding, I hated it.

Edited by roots57, 18 October 2017 - 01:37 PM.

#45 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

Ford Edge Legal Resident

• 10,048 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 01:21 PM

Don't forget this was tied to a pending federal mandate to honk the horn when leaving a running vehicle without the key.   That was based on deaths from carbon monoxide poisoning for folks who left the vehicle running in the garage, especially hybrids that may not be running when you stop but could start running as the battery drains.

The mandate never happened but Ford was being proactive and to avoid potential lawsuit liability.  Blame the lawyers as much as anything on this one.

#46 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

Ford Edge Legal Resident

• 10,048 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 01:22 PM

A more subtle notification sound would be a good compromise.  Using the horn is way overkill.

In most cases yes, but not in the case where an elderly person leaves the car running in the garage accidentally.   They probably wouldn't hear the honk.

Notice I'm not against the idea - just pointing out that it doesn't solve the major issue that Ford is worried about which is liability.

#47 OFFLINE   roots57

roots57

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 144 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 01:46 PM

In most cases yes, but not in the case where an elderly person leaves the car running in the garage accidentally.   They probably wouldn't hear the honk.

Notice I'm not against the idea - just pointing out that it doesn't solve the major issue that Ford is worried about which is liability.

I hope it can help some people from getting into a jam.  I just think it should be something that is an option to have on or not by choice (without having to use forscan).  I can't imagine that Ford could be held liable for anything if the feature wasn't included, but in this world of sue happy people, I guess anything is possible.  Even if you do leave it running, it will shut off after 30 mins anyway wont it?

#48 OFFLINE   ben senise

ben senise

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 101 posts
  • Region:Canada British Columbia

Posted 18 October 2017 - 01:53 PM

Don't forget this was tied to a pending federal mandate to honk the horn when leaving a running vehicle without the key. 

interesting point that i was not aware of.

hey, wait, I resemble that remark!!!   :)

when i first got the edge, i parked in an outdoor parking lot on a very busy road, thus quite noisy. i got out of the car and locked it and as i stepped away, the car double honked. i wondered what was wrong and went back to the car to check the doors, etc. i couldn't find anything amiss.

when i got back in the car 10 min later, i realized that it was still running!!! i attributed this to the fact that the car was so quiet and on a street with a lot of traffic noise. plus, i had never had a car with push-button start where i keep the key in my pocket. i guess it was a "senior moment" even though i don't yet qualify for the senior discounts!

so it just goes to prove that even the double-honk is not foolproof for some idiots!! LOL

• WWWPerfA_ZN0W likes this

#49 OFFLINE   candurin

candurin

Ford Edge Enthusiast

• Edge Member
  • 994 posts
  • Region:Decline

Posted 18 October 2017 - 01:57 PM

Here's a good list of mods (they're not specific to F150s, despite the title):

https://docs.google....t#gid=815852466
  • ben senise and WWWPerfA_ZN0W like this

#50 OFFLINE   Nick Halstead

Nick Halstead

Ford Edge Enthusiast

• Facebook Member
  • 949 posts
  • Edge's Year:2015

Posted 18 October 2017 - 07:04 PM

Double Honk was never mandated to manufacturer's, it's a good marketing plug, that's about it.
"if you ever leave your car running and get out with the keys, it will honk at you to remind you" says corporate world.

#51 OFFLINE   ben senise

ben senise

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 101 posts
  • Region:Canada British Columbia

Posted 18 October 2017 - 07:41 PM

Here's a good list of mods (they're not specific to F150s, despite the title):

https://docs.google....t#gid=815852466

wow, that is quite a list!! i didn't even see all the tabs for all the pages at first. thanks for sharing.

#52 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

Ford Edge Legal Resident

• 10,048 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 10:16 PM

Double Honk was never mandated to manufacturer's, it's a good marketing plug, that's about it.
"if you ever leave your car running and get out with the keys, it will honk at you to remind you" says corporate world.

Never said it was mandated. I said it was being proposed as a federal requirement and Ford decided to get ahead of it and as a liability CYA.

#53 OFFLINE   omar302

omar302

Ford Edge Addict

• Edge Platinum Member
  • 1,632 posts
  • Region:Middle East
  • Edge's Year:2011

Posted 18 October 2017 - 11:09 PM

Don't forget this was tied to a pending federal mandate to honk the horn when leaving a running vehicle without the key.   That was based on deaths from carbon monoxide poisoning for folks who left the vehicle running in the garage, especially hybrids that may not be running when you stop but could start running as the battery drains.

The mandate never happened but Ford was being proactive and to avoid potential lawsuit liability.  Blame the lawyers as much as anything on this one.

They did implement engine auto turn-off after ~45 minutes of idling.

• candurin and WWWPerfA_ZN0W like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users