Turbos Needed - Gen II 2.7 EcoBoost

snmjim

It is a shame that the Facebook guys are not here, you should invite them. They are most welcome, post a link for them. I personally don't care for Facebook too snoopy for my taste.

Thats because most members were here on the Forum, then it went dormant for a few years. Shit I think I went a whole year without logging in from 14-15

• 2 weeks later...

The front Comp turbo was installed without any problems . The rear Comp turbo is a different story, access is limited and it has not been installed yet. To gain access to both turbos the entire exhaust system was removed including the down pipes. To access the rear turbo the drive shaft was removed and several scenarios have been made. First is to remove the front passenger side half shaft and one other part to gain access. The second idea is to drop the PTU a few inches to gain space. And third and most drastic is drop the front sub frame . As of this post this is where we stand. I will post just what method was used to install the rear turbo upon completion. Any way you look at it, changing the turbos is not for the average shade tree mechanic. Without a lift the job would be twice as hard . Once the rear Comp Turbo is installed the UP IC will be installed along with a new RamFab cold pipe and the CNC grill will finish the job.

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 3

Here are a couple photos showing the difference between the stock 6 blade cast compressor wheel and the Comp Turbo 11 blade billet compressor wheel . Notice how the stock input has been hogged out for the larger Comp turbo wheel to fit.

post-46130-0-95079000-1526433138_thumb.jpg post-46130-0-82249300-1526433198_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Any chance to dyno it stock tune and see what the difference is? Or is that gonna blow it up?

I feel like stock tune should be able to auto adjust.

I was told by the turbo builder that it is compatible with the stock tune and they have done many F150 2.7 EcoBoost Turbos with no problem. But this is the first Edge 2.7 turbo. I will still be careful until I get it checked out .

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 1

Friday May18, 2018 the car will have it's first tests. I am following in the footsteps of snmjim and Special_K. I know that the car will run best and safer with a tune and I will check the air/fuel mix and boost with the stock tune to begin with. It is my hope that Comp Turbos experience with the F150 2.7 Ecoboost will transfer over to the Edge 2.7 Ecoboost. Comp Turbos has done hundreds of these turbos for the F150 and they run them with the stock tune no problem. I have added a big Intercooler and a cold side pipe to the mix so I will need to be carful to not as snmjim says zoom zoom Boom! But if everything checks out running the stock tune would be ideal to maintain the warranty and for when I bring it in for service. Then have the LMS My Calibrator with a few tunes on it for fun. Perhaps I am dreaming with running the stock tune . Lots of things to discover now that the parts are in place and lots of dyno time as well.

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 1

How much power was checked out under stock tune? Did it make stock power at lowerboost?

It will be on the dyno a few weeks from now then I will have the numbers. The car needs some service for a bad half shaft and drive shaft seal that are throwing grease first. The dyno I use is called the Heart Breaker because it gives lower numbers than DynoJet or the Mustang Dyno. A long as I stay with the same dyno it will be apples to apples and the tune will be fine.

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 1

Yea...I had a car on one of those at Tune Time Performance in NJ, I have a different name for a dyno that gives crap numbers right before the dyno owner tunes the car and suddenly it falls in line with other dynos.

Edited by 037

The Heart Breaker Dyno is a Dyno Dynamics dyno. This is what they say about it.

Why Dyno Dynamics?

• Most accurate true wheel horsepower rating.

• The most flexible dyno option with the ability to tune RWD, FWD and AWD vehicles.

• Tune race ready vehicles with the high power capability of the quad retarder option.

• Diagnose engine and transmission faults in 4WD, RWD & FWD vehicles.

• Steady State capabilities- Hold at an exact RPM without wandering, cutting down tuning time.

• Industrial spec computer with a solid state hard drive- Long lasting and no noise interference.

post-46130-0-50460200-1526721153_thumb.png

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 1