Tuning 2017 using HP Tuner and Unleashed Tuning

NoDTMF

Hi All,

I chose the data logging feedback loop for tuning. That requires the HP Tuner standard suite software. On the Facebook Ford Sport group I have been documenting my daily progress, but that tends to disappear over time. So I will cut and paste my notes hear in hopes in maybe useful to others

so here it goes...somewhat unedited for grammar and spelling

Day 1

Equipment
Macbook Pro USB-C ports, MAC OS 12.6, VMware 8.5.8 and Windows 7
Installed VCM, and had to manually install drivers from the included USB Stick
Entered the Application Key which was included on the documentation in the box
Connected to Ford Edge. The Tuner box did a firmware update when I tried to read All.
Then I retried Read All…dash blinks some warning signs and goes dark. Progress bar says it will take 9 mins to read. Typing this while waiting to to complete.
After the read was complete, the Edge came back to life. I saved the file. The Software told me if I wanted to make changes I would need a license. I think that is a Credit, of which it says I have 8 Credits available. So I am a little confused. If Torrie modifies this file multiple times to perfect the tune, does it use a credit on each modification? Nope he can modify the file many times
Sept 29 Day 2 Kinda Scary
Had to install TeamViewer for Torrie to have remote access.
So my config Macbook -> VMware-> Windows-> TemanViewer and USB-C-> USB2-> Serial. yech
However It works.
I burn two credits of the 8 that come with the tuner. Torrie is now on my computer adjusting parameters all over the place
more to come.
The first Pass of a tune was loaded. Everything started and seemed correct. Also there seemed to be no performance differences.
Made some loggs…WOT and in 3rd gear 2-4 k
Oct 2
After 2nd version installed did the idle warm up and no issues. Did a 0-60 WOT and it went fine but no faster.
Well today is a fail. Very weird problem the the HP TUNER VCM Scanner software...it literally quit logging some of the PIDs. Thus Torrie cannot adjust the tune. The VCM software and the layouts menu seem a little flakey. I'm wondering if I messed up a layout and even though it shows the PIDs maybe its not really looking at them. Anyone with VCM scanner experience?
Oct3
Okay made an interesting discovery. The config file for the VCM scanner was actually for a ford fusion sport. So pids may be in different locations. I rebuilt the file from the defaults for the 2017 Edge. Will test that they all work and send off the log file. I am on the 3rd update. But for the 2nd and 3rd downloads we realized logging was not complete.
Oct 4
Today was a better day than yesterday...and tomoorow gets a little scarey..I need to do a 20-80 WOT...and not get a ticket. On the 5th load I finally believe I am actually getting faster...but not much yet. Problem is my runs on the 1st and 2nd loads were at a different place the 3,4,5th loads...I played hooky today. I wanted to solve the VCM scanner issue. It seems like it has a registration phase where it can miss some of the variables you want included in the scan. Start and re-start a few times to get a reliable scan. Windows has been more reliable ha ha. I don't think Torrie has done anything for shifts or throttle response yet. One cool thing is in Sports mode it always shows you what gear your in in the Tach window.
Did the do the 0-80 WoT and sent off the log file. Still having trouble with the scanner software dropping logging of some varaibles while logging.
Starting to read HP Tuner forums to find solutions.
Edited by NoDTMF
  • Like 1

So why not go SCT X4 like everyone else?

Because SCT does not support the 2017 Edge Strategy Code :-(

Thus for a data logged tune then HP Tuner is the only solution for 2017. I believe LMS pre-canned from 2015 is the other option. I'm not sure I've heard of a 2017 using LMS yet.

Edited by NoDTMF

Because SCT does not support the 2017 Edge Strategy Code :-(

Thus for a data logged tune then HP Tuner is the only solution for 2017. I believe LMS pre-canned from 215 is the other way. I'm not sure I've heard of a 2017 using LMS yet.

Ahhh, so the 17 edge has same issue as 17 fusion sports. I didnt know that. HP device looks way way better

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

My tune is done. It is a 91 performance tune, and I had the upshifts firmed up. After I learned about brake boosting I did some 0-60 runs and so far my best thus far is 5.3sec. (75F, low humidity, 200') I have the heavy 21" wheels.

I'm happy, and for those with 2017 that go with Unleashed, it should be a much simpler process. That said, if SCT ever supports the 2017 cars I would like one of those for simpler logging setup.

While going through the tune I was getting disappointed because I didn't seem to feel a difference, but I was just doing Wot after Wot. Now that I'm driving it for fun, I love it and notice it. Makes me want to race beemers off the line :-)

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

We have a 2016 Edge Sport AWD with:

- K&N air filter

- 170 T-Stat

- H&R Springs

- Strut tower CB

- RMM (CPe)

- Modified IC grill & AGS

- Custom e30 tune by Unleashed

Ran: 12.94 at 106 mph

DA of -670