2016 Sport Engine Concerns

shumax

So, I just picked up my 2016 Sport on Saturday. Drove it 10 hours home. Had a couple of issues - low tire pressure and then some flapping on the underside. Took it to my local dealer today and they said the panels on the drivers and passengers side, underneath, are loose and need to be replaced. They ordered them and it will be handled in a few days. While there, I asked them to pull the Oasis report on the vehicle. They did and, what follows, shocked me:

The vehicle has 12,000 miles on it. Around 7,000 miles, the prior owner brought it in because the oil light came on. This showed up on the Carfax and I questioned it. When I questioned it, the selling dealer called the local Ford dealer and told them it was because it wasn't reset when the oil was changed. I moved on. Well, as I learn today, at 7,000 miles, that light came on and the car was 4.5 quarts low in oil! They filled it and put the prior owner back on the road. At 9,000 miles, the CEL came on and it was verified - DTC S, P0304, etc. was found. Fouled plug in cylinder 4, oil consumption and smoke. They removed the engine and transaxle, etc. They replaced the two cylinder heads and a bunch of gaskets on the cylinder head and turbo's. Put it back together and put them on their way. 2,000 miles later, the prior owner came in for the same rattle noise I heard. The dealer put silicone on that baffle and sent the prior owner on their way.

So, none of this was disclosed by the dealer that sold me the car. The dealer is not a Ford dealer, FYI. When I saw the Carfax, I noticed the remark about the oil light. As I mentioned above, they called the Ford dealer that's affiliated with their dealership - it's a large dealer. They tell them the light was on because it wasn't reset when the oil was changed. Feeling comfortable with that, I let it be.

So, here I sit. Sort of stunned by it. I have 2 years and 24k left on the OEM warranty. I purchased the car 10 hours away. I talked to my sales rep today and calmly explained the situation. They said they would have to have a sales manager call me. So, I'm waiting on that call.

I'm not sure what to do. During the process, I put a minor amount down on the car. They said that was a deposit and I could have it back if not satisfied. They also had me sign a credit app in case I defaulted on the wire transfer. I have not paid for the car and I do have the title. I was to wire the money today, but they knew I had concerns with the rattling/tire pressure issues Saturday, so they knew it would be delayed.

Do I keep the car and see how it goes given it's still under warranty? It's been 3,000 miles since that engine repair - oil level is fine and I drove it 600 miles home with no real issues. Do I push to return it? Do I ask them to buy me an extended warranty? Do I drive it a year and see what happens; if there are issues, get rid of it?

I've not been in this spot before and, frankly, felt like I vetted the purchase very well.

Looking for some guidance. Thanks!

Shumax

Very unusual problem. I HAVE heard of the engine oil pressure switch not being installed properly, but not an internal engine issue with the 2.7L. But as you know, the Gen 2 has been plagued with seal & gasket issues (mostly body, a few engine/transmission related - oil pan, Torque Converter Housing, ...).

An extended warranty (Ford Protect only, please) for the maximum duration available would be nice. But as A.O.E. said, might seriously consider a swap out.

• Like 1

Sounds like a ticking time bomb. 4.5 quarts low on oil and all the other problems. The silicone repair on the baffle sounds like a Mickey Mouse repair.

I would give it back. You are still holding the money. Pretty good bargaining chip. Extended warrantee isn't going to keep you from being stranded on the side of the road.

Good luck