2007 3.5 edge cranks but won't start.

twizlerbabe20

I have a 2007 ford edge that I purchased december of 2016. Thursday it was driving rough and check engine light came on and was flashing. I stopped by autopart store and had them read codes. Code reader stated ignition coil fail primary on 1,3,5 and 6. Bought 6 new spark plugs, and had gottan 6 boots to replace. pulled all the ignition coil packed and 2 of them were bad. 1 just had a small crack and the other look like it had been melted. Replaced both car still driving rough, then died, then wouldn't start. would crank but not start. I pulled the last coilpack that i put in and it was metled real bad (brand new) so i got it replaced for free from Orielly. still won't start. I am at a loss. My father in law is coming over tomorrow afternoon to see about code reader again. any clues????

X2 on PCM. You will have to replace or repair the PCM, replace all the coils. THEN you can attempt to start the Edge up again. Otherwise you will be stuck in a loop.

Ā 

You can send your PCM in for repair to

https://circuitboardmedics.com/2007-2010-ford-edge-pcm-ecm-repair/

Ā 

There is also a vendor on eBay who charges less for repair and seems to have great reviews. Call & talk to them first (same with CBM).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Edge-ECU-ECM-PCM-Repair-Return-Ford-Edge-ECU-Repair-/322522155438/

Ā 

OEM coils are preferred, and you can get them relatively cheap through this kit

BA5Z-12259-A

Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W
  • Like 2

They have 2 repair options. Repair your own ECU or have a repaired one shipped to you. Better off letting them repair your own. No key programing issues. Make sure all your coils are still good. A bad coil can take the ECU out in a heartbeat.

What is your mileage? The plugs should have been changed before 90,000 miles.

There are other service items that need attention on these cars, Most importantly!

1. Coolant. If you don't have a service history on the car have it changed. The water pumps on these cars are an internal part and will cost you about $1700 to replace. Flush and replace.

2. Transmission fluid. Ford says lifetime Don't chance it. Spend the money now and save the big bill later.

3. If you have an all wheel drive have the PTU fluid changed.

• Like 1

2. Transmission fluid. Ford says lifetime Don't chance it. Spend the money now and save the big bill later.

X2 on everything Paul said.

Ā 

The only part I would add to, is servicing the transmission. Under "severe" service, the maintenance manual states change fluid at 30,000 miles if (1) pulling a trailer, camper or rooftop carrier, or (2) excessive idling or all local trips (think taxi).

Ā 

Basically, if your uncertain as the the service history, its best if you change ALL fluids.

• Like 1

it was running then shut off as i was going downhill. (was running a little rough) then i couldnt get to start back up at all..would crank but not start. i had also just replaced all 6 spark plugs, 4 coil boots, and 2 ignition coils..so IDK. im frustrated its not at a Ford dealer right now so its taking forever for them to do anything. They said that the cylinder head had no compression. The codes it was throwing was misfire on the #6 cylinder and that there were primary and secondary ignition coil failures..

If a cylinder has low to no compression, either the head gasket has failed, or a piston ring has failed, meaning a new engine needs to be installed. Nobody rebuilds engines anymore. If the head gasket has failed, you can check for exhaust gases in the coolant, that is a sure sign.

Ā 

The PCM still looks the likely culprit, save for the compression issue.

Head failure on a 3.5 duratec is not a very common thing unless it was ran without coolant. The vote is the PCM failing plus the best bet is a coil pak and new pcv. Oil change and a rebuilt PCM installed BEFORE you even try to start it with the new plugs and coils.

Ā 

Note I would have no faith in them if they are saying no compression in the cylinder they probably hosed up the compression test.

• Like 1

I told them about it a good possibility that its the PCM and they weren't hearing it...im so irritated that they wouldn't listen to me. its at a dodge/chrysler dealership and of course they have only 1 person that works on nonchrysler products.

Why?????????????

Ā 

Why would you not take it to a Ford dealer?

Ā 

My wife's car is Sebring Convertible and we NEVER take it to the local Chrysler dealer.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So after 3 weeks of them having my vehicle and doing unnecessary tests (sent cylinder heads to machine shop to be inspected) they finally deemed that I was right and its the PCM..but the stupid waranty company is saying that its not covered..how the heck is it not covered its the powertrain control module i mean come on?! I haven't even had this vehicle 12 months!!!!!

So after 3 weeks of them having my vehicle and doing unnecessary tests (sent cylinder heads to machine shop to be inspected) they finally deemed that I was right and its the PCM..but the stupid waranty company is saying that its not covered..how the heck is it not covered its the powertrain control module i mean come on?! I haven't even had this vehicle 12 months!!!!!

Post a copy of the warranty. Lets take a look at the fine print. The rep is often likely to not understand the vehicle. Plus if they paid to test the heads, they already shelled out mucho moolah. Whats a little more?

Oh I went over it and in the excluded section it specifically has electrical things including the powertrain conrol module..so yes I am screwed...and ticked off that I haven't had this vehicle even 1 year and its gone to crap in a hand basket...

Get the PCM repaired you should be good unless the total hosed up the engine work that they needlessly performed. Man what a mess.

• Like 1