My Android Auto/Sync 3 crashes all the time

I can't figure this out so I thought i'd put it to the collective brain power here.

I have a Pixel XL running Oreo 8.0.0. Sync 3 is 2.2 and I did the upgrade via USB stick from the sources here on this forum.

My phone sits in a ProClip dock with USB charging cable attached. As soon as i drop the phone in the cradle, AA fires up.

It quits regularly. the only solution is to pull it up to disconnect the USB plug and then drop it back down again. It resumes where it left off.

i've rebooted the phone many times and i've cleared the data for the AA app. It still keeps happening.

first question is whether or not anyone else is having this same problem.

second is, has anyone found a solution or have any other suggestions?

Personally, I think AA has a buggy connection in general. I've used maybe a half dozen usb cables and while at the beginning AA works good, it is short lived and have to find a new cord. Have no idea why it does it. It'll connect for a couple seconds, then disappears. A lot of connecting and re-connecting. I think I read that version 3.0 has updated AA.

Mine used to crash consistently after about a half hour or so of driving. Sometimes it would wait a little longer until I was about 5 minutes away from my destination if I was using Google Maps to navigate (at least it seemed that way). Lately, it hasn't been crashing as much. There have been a couple of AA updates on my phone, so it's possible that one of those updates made it a bit more stable.

I still find it to be a bit finicky though. Every now and then, AA won't start when I connect the phone. When that happens I'll need to either reboot the phone or reset Sync to get it to work again. Sometimes it will let me control Spotify over Bluetooth but it will play the music through the phone speaker. That happens about once every 20 or so times I use Spotify that way.

I'm using a OnePlus 3T with Android Nougat. I have a short 6" USB cable that fits between the USB jack in the little Sync cubby hole in the console and the phone.