2013 Edge Sport capless gas replacement

Benjamin2112

Hello everyone, I'm having trouble with my capless gas, not sure if i will need to replace it or not. My edge keeps throwing codes for emissions and I have narrowed it down to the capless gas area, it will sometimes be hard to insert anything into the hole and this is usually when it begins to throw codes, are there any ideas on whether i can repair the existing part or do I just need to replace it, any inquiries are greatly appreciated.

Just had our 2010 Fusion pop a P0456 code the other day. Internet says filler neck or purge valve. I cleared it and it hasn't come back yet.

I use a locking "cap" on the capless filler of my F150 to keep out dirt and dust- maybe I should do the dame to keep crud out of the filler on the Fusion too.

• Like 1

I don't care if it locks or not- I just want a cap to keep dirt out of the fuel filler. It's begging for dirt and dust to collect in there with the way it's designed. I wish it just had an old school setup with a normal cap really. Our '10 Edge has a normal cap, and I'm glad it does.

Edited by IWRBB

I don't see why dust or dirt would collect at the filler neck. I live in a dusty area and the filler area behind the fuel door is always clean. There is a gasket on the back of the fuel door that is supposed to seal the filler neck when the door is closed. Maybe the fuel door is not closing properly.

My point is the capless filler using a design that has a large open/recessed area that leads to the fuel tank seems to be, not the best? The gas door seal may work for now, but if the seal is damaged, then what? New filler neck and fuel door? .

Could it not have had a flapper at the top of the "hole" as a deterrent to debris and dust? The whole setup just seems like a solution to a problem that never existed, which in turn fails and actually creates problems that never existed. A $6 gas cap is a lot easier to replace than a filler neck. I guess I'm just a luddite.

• Like 1

A gas cap (locking or not) would keep most, but not all, dust and debris out of the filler neck. A locking cap accomplishes that and locks also. The cap I have completely covers the filler neck and tube flap. Best of both worlds. Plus I have the sense of well being that some young whippersnapper won't pee or put sugar in my tank, gollygarshdadgummit!

Edited by chefduane
  • Like 1