SYNC3 V2.3 Official Release is Available

Fordpass and the SYNC3 "VHR" worked fine for me when I tested it out a while back.

You have to have FordPass app on your phone, plug your phone in via USB and run the app on your phone. I believe there is also some permission settings under the mobile apps setting on SYNC3 that also have to be set up. Most people have found this to be a waste of time to set all of this up.

Ford's links say that Sync Connect is required and not available on our model - I'd appreciate it if you gave it a try on your Edge and report back if it works.

So, if one updated to v3.0 that was out and about, should one disregard 2.3? Or can 2.3 be installed over 3.0?

UPDATE: Went to try the 2.3 update and SYNC came back with a statement, "Your system already has the latest version. Remove USB and Sync 3 with restart". Guess I'm good to go until the next update.

Edited by RetiredgE

My vehicle updated from 1.0 to 2.2 this summer, didn't even realize it until I check for the version. Now there is 2.3 and an upcoming 3.0?

What do these updates do? I noticed nothing different between 1.0 and 2.2. What does 2.3 and 3.0 offer that 2.2 doesn't? (or 1.0 for that matter)

I live by "if it ain't broke don't fix it", ever since I did an update on an HP printer I had and the update prevented me from using generic ink cartridges.

Give it a try and report back if it works for you, but it doesn't on my 2017 Sport, and I haven't read of any other Edge Sync3 systems working.

The VHR worked for me. I have a 2017 Ford Edge Titanium with SYNC3 which doesn't have SYNC Connect. It's a convoluted process to setup and run and you need FordPass running on your phone. My 2014 Ford Taurus Limited with SYNC2 MFT is a lot simpler and phone can be just connected by bluetooth. Since some insurance companies (State Farm) give you discounts if you use the Ford VHR one would think that Ford would make it easier. Even once set up per Ford instructions it's hard to know if it ran ok till you check owner.ford.com.

• Like 1

My vehicle updated from 1.0 to 2.2 this summer, didn't even realize it until I check for the version. Now there is 2.3 and an upcoming 3.0?

What do these updates do? I noticed nothing different between 1.0 and 2.2. What does 2.3 and 3.0 offer that 2.2 doesn't? (or 1.0 for that matter)

I live by "if it ain't broke don't fix it", ever since I did an update on an HP printer I had and the update prevented me from using generic ink cartridges.

Here's the information that I got from a chat on SYNC from owner.ford.com.

What are the changes in the SYNC3 v2.3 that just came out?

Cara says:

This software release is the latest update in our continued efforts to improve system performance, device connectivity, and the overall SYNC experience.

This software contains the following enhancements:

•Updated voice recognition engine.

•Navigation user interface improvements (if equipped).

•Android Auto™ for supported devices.

•Apple CarPlay™ for supported devices.

Gerald says:

Thanks, Do you know when it will be on the wi-fi update

Cara says:

It is currently being worked on and once it is available, the system will automatically start installing it and you will also be notified in your account.

V3.0 is not official. It was downloaded in pieces from the Ford servers and an install package put together based upon prior update packages and current vehicles leaving the factory with 3.0.

The official 2.3 release shows Ford now has specific files for the APIM version in the vehicle. Using an unofficial release could be missing files or installing files that don't belong in your APIM. Its a use at your own risk update.

My point jmr061 is that if current vehicals are leaving the factory with v3.0 then we should get the official upgrade to v3.0. We should at least get the wi-fi update to v2.3, why does Ford put it out for USB update and not by wi-fi when they advertise how great this wi-fi updating is.

Edited by FordGuy1

Because they haven't worked out all the bugs and details on the wi-fi updates. Something that sounds good on paper doesn't always work out that way once it's in production.

Also on the 3.0 being available from the factory but not for updates is normal. On the assembly line there is only one configuration (latest apim and other components) that has to be tested while updates to older vehicles may need to be tested with multiple older components and firmware versions.

Links for your reference

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41251

Quoted from the page:

DOWNLOAD LINKS TO "UNOFFICIAL" V3.0 BUILD_17276

Nav version: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwH...h3c0dEVWc/view
Mirror: Here

Non-Nav: https://ufile.io/e237n
Mirror: www.transfernow.net/21hge078zolt

(Follow official pdf instructions below) Installation instructions:
1. Download.
2. Unzip onto desktop.
3. Grab a USB Flash Drive, 32GB minimum.
4. Format the drive to exFAT.
5. Put the extracted files inside the flash drive.
6. Turn car on. Turn bluetooth off, just in case(optional). Or master rest before beginning.
7. It might take 5 mins for Updating System Software message to pop up, then 19 mins to install from thereon
Depending on the Ford model, it might reboot automatically after installation is complete, if navigation maps don't come back don't worry turn off/on the car again.
*OFFICIAL UPDATE v2.3.10 --> OWNER.FORD.COM*

**CAUTION:There are FOUR versions to this update, MY 16 Nav/Non-Nav, and MY 17 Nav/Non-Nav, a single file will not work for both years! Even if they appear identical, use the one for your model year! You risk damaging APIM and/or Gracenotes and possibly other things**
***FOR INSTALLATION TO GO FLAWLESSLY THE FIRST TIME, USE MIN. 32GB USB DRIVE WITH 3.0 SPEED FOR BEST RESULTS.***

Mirror links:North America:

Official link to MY 16 w/Nav: http://ivsu.binaries.ford.com/owner-...-14G381-AJ.zip
Official link to MY 17 w/Nav: http://ivsu.binaries.ford.com/owner-...-14G381-AJ.zip

Because they haven't worked out all the bugs and details on the wi-fi updates. Something that sounds good on paper doesn't always work out that way once it's in production.

Also on the 3.0 being available from the factory but not for updates is normal. On the assembly line there is only one configuration (latest apim and other components) that has to be tested while updates to older vehicles may need to be tested with multiple older components and firmware versions.

They haven't worked out the bugs.... Ford has been advertising wi-fi updates for 3 model years now, that's the problem (false advertising) they should have had the bugs worked out in 2015 before they advertised it for the 2016 vehicles. They also have not updated the Navigation maps in 2 years, they advertise that Sync3 is better than Sync2 MFT but the only thing better is the touch screen, what good is that if the maps are so old that they are useless. Also if you live in countries other than the USA you get map updates for free for the first 5 years. I like my 2017 Ford Edge Titanium in every respect except this Sync3 update problem. True you can use Car Play or AA but that eats up your data plan and it doesn't work if you don't have cell reception (mountain areas).

Well of course they should have all the bugs worked out. The seat cooling should work. PTUs shouldn't be failing. Water pumps shouldn't be taking out an entire engine. Oil pans shouldn't be leaking.

I think what we're seeing with sync 3 is the direct result of Mark Fields incessant cost cutting and it's going to take a year or two to get back to normal. It's a shame because sync 3 is a great product IMO. At least it's been stable unlike the MFT launch in 2010.

• Like 1

The official release of 2.3 is out for non-nav units now. Wi-Fi updates have been reported to work by numerous people. Updating via Wi-fi takes place in background. Just give it time if you choose to do it that way. Ford has said it could take weeks to do it that way. If you need it now, then do the usb method.

Is it true that it only does the wi-fi downloads while the vehicle is running? If so that would explain why it would take so long. You only have a couple of minutes when the engine is running and you're in range of your home wi-fi in most cases.

Seems like it should be doing at least some downloading while the engine is off even if it's only 15 minutes or so at a time.

• 2 weeks later...

Well of course they should have all the bugs worked out. The seat cooling should work.

You mention the cooling seats, it's funny, using mine over the summer I kind of thought they worked like crap. Not much cold air. I drove a Lincoln MKZ as a rental, I think it was a 2014 or 2015 and they had much more air flow.

Lenny

My Edge is a 2017 Titaniam

The 17s do not have removable filters like the 13. The seat is a redesign and sucks for cooling. Your 17 may fall under a TSB otherwise there is a guy that sells a kit to make them work better. Ford refuses to do anything to improve them.

I do not endorse or have this product...just passing it on

http://seatguru.wixsite.com/fordseatfix

I have a 2016 Ti AWD non-Nav. Currently running Sync v2.2. I downloaded the v2.3 update from the Ford website onto my Windows desktop. I unzipped it to my hard drive and then copied it to a newly formated Kingston 32GB USB stick. I get the "Updating System Software" message but then after about another five minutes or so, I get an error stating that the installation failed and the error code is MEM_ERR03.

I called the number on the screen and the agent that helped me said that they've been having quite a few calls about this. He suggested that I wait for the OTA update to happen but patience is not one of my greater virtues. The main reason is that I'm hoping that the update will alleviate the android auto crashing that occurs constantly.

just wondering if anyone here is having the same issue and if you managed to work around it. i'm open to any and all suggestions.

thanks

Change the filters or remove them completely...much cooler!

The 17s do not have removable filters like the 13. The seat is a redesign and sucks for cooling. Your 17 may fall under a TSB otherwise there is a guy that sells a kit to make them work better. Ford refuses to do anything to improve them.

I do not endorse or have this product...just passing it on

http://seatguru.wixsite.com/fordseatfix

Replacement filters for the previous years have shifted to so called lifetime filters (no filter in reality).

The same basic design is applicable to older & new Fords, the seatback cooling/heating device is confined to a limited space which eventually gets filled with hot exhaust air and thus cooling becomes non-existing. I think the main difference between the old cars & newer ones is the the seatbacks are now much thinner, amplifying the same issue. In my MKX, the seatback cooling is barely noticeable, especially compared to the seatbottom (which is open from the bottom towards the floor).

I have a 2016 Ti AWD non-Nav. Currently running Sync v2.2. I downloaded the v2.3 update from the Ford website onto my Windows desktop. I unzipped it to my hard drive and then copied it to a newly formated Kingston 32GB USB stick. I get the "Updating System Software" message but then after about another five minutes or so, I get an error stating that the installation failed and the error code is MEM_ERR03.

I called the number on the screen and the agent that helped me said that they've been having quite a few calls about this. He suggested that I wait for the OTA update to happen but patience is not one of my greater virtues. The main reason is that I'm hoping that the update will alleviate the android auto crashing that occurs constantly.

just wondering if anyone here is having the same issue and if you managed to work around it. i'm open to any and all suggestions.

thanks

Using a USB worked for me on my 2017 Ford Edge Titanium. Make sure that your USB is formatted as fat32 and that the 3 files are in the root of the USB with no other files on the USB. Should have "SyncMyRide"-folder and "autoinstall.lst" and "DONTINDEX.MSA" files.

Using a USB worked for me on my 2017 Ford Edge Titanium. Make sure that your USB is formatted as fat32 and that the 3 files are in the root of the USB with no other files on the USB. Should have "SyncMyRide"-folder and "autoinstall.lst" and "DONTINDEX.MSA" files.

thanks. i have formatted the usb stick to fat32 and the three items are at root level but still no joy. i'll try a different usb drive on tuesday when i have a 40 min drive coming.