Train horns

tmarsh

Hey guys. just bought my 15 sport a few months ago. Came from a fusion, and had a train horn on it that I am in the process of transferring into the edge. There is not as much room to work with on the edge lol.

The horn, if anyone is interested, is a Hornblasters conductors special 228V I believe. The ~$500 kit, 4 trumpets, 2 gallon tank, 150 psi, fast fill compressor.

I have already fitted the tank. It is mounted between the rear subframe and sway far. with JUST enough room for the exhaust pipes to clear it. I got lucky with this spot.

The compressor is mounted in the rear quarter panel, with little room to spare. Air lines go through the grommet thats in that area and out to the tank.

Two things I need help/suggestions with. And will be happy to do a write up when all is done and working.

1. I don't plan on using the horn button to honk the train horns, for multiple reasons. I didn't use the horn button on the fusion either. What I would like to do is get the shift handle that has the +/- buttons used for select shift on other vehicles and use it for select shift, and then use the paddle shifters on the wheel to honk the horns. I used to drive a stick, and even now keep my hand on the shifter just because. So Id much rather shift with that than the paddles.

So I need to find out a part number for possibly a fusion or a focus shift handle with the buttons if they will fir the edge(they appear to be the same style and size?). Ive gone to the dealer and they are no help. Wiring is no issue for me.

2. Any suggestions on where to mount the horns? Room in the front bumper? Biggest horn is 30x6x6.

Simply because I want it. It comes in handy for things like: a bicycle riding in the middle of a busy road. Anyone texting and driving or just not paying attention. That person that wants to go ten under the limit for no reason. Deer in the road or when they run in the road, or anything at all in the road. That asshole that tries to cut you off or turn out in front of you. A group of road workers standing with their hands in their pockets not doing any work.

Its especially handy when youre behind a diesel truck that blows black smoke on purpose, Honk the train horn near a cop and the truck will get stopped for it.

Just a novelty thing really. Ive had it on all of my vehicles.

Edited by tmarsh
  • Like 1

Honk at the wrong person and get shot.

Not to mention that's it's ILLEGAL IN ALL STATES. All states have a line in their vehicle laws and regulations that states a car horn can not emit an unreasonably loud or harsh sound. Not all of them have that exact wording, but they all make the same point.

So why would you spend $500 on something that you can never use, and risk an expensive ticket if you ever did? Just to scare the shit out of a person riding a bicycle in your way? They have an equal right to use the road. Locally we have a lot of horse and buggies on our roads. About the speed of bicycles. They also have an equal right to the road. What your suggesting is just plain mean.

• Like 1