Shifter handle

tmarsh

Does anyone know if the shifter handle on the 2G Edge is the same used in other ford models? Im wanting to get one with the +/- buttons and that handle is not offered on any model Edge, but models like escape, focus, and fusion have the same style shift handle. Just need to know if one from another model might fit. Thanks

ANSWER in post 31

HOW TO post 38

Edited by tmarsh

Yes I do have the paddle shifters but dont really care for it. I always have a hand on the shifter its a habit from driving a stick. So Id much rather have the buttons on the shifter.

Was just wondering if someone knows if other ford models use the same style shifter before I order one

Edited by tmarsh

Both hands on the wheel is much safer than one on the shifter & one on the wheel. It's also much more comfortable for 'spirited' driving as you can downshift & upshift without taking your hands off the wheel.

I've driven a manual for years & can relate, but you're talking about a lot of work & it may not even 'work' when completed because of all the electronics involved (fooling the computer & safety features, etc).

Wish you luck, but i don't think it's economically feasible & more hazardous than the stock paddle shifters.

• Like 1

No I legitimately want the shift handle buttons to use as the select shift buttons. The paddles will then be used for the horn, but that is irrelevant here.

The wiring will not be very involved at all. I have access to schematics. It would be simple as cut the wires to the paddles and connect the shifter to them.

Edited by tmarsh
  • Like 1

love folks that say that flappy paddle shifters solve all problems.

try this. put your car in sport and make sure you've shifted with the paddles.

stop at an intersection with your hands at 10/2 or even 9/3. in 1st gear.

now turn right and accelerate.

it is impossible to properly complete the turn and position your hands correctly to shift into 2nd at an appropriate rpm.

flappy paddles came from f1. where the steering wheel never even sees a full turn lock to lock. more like half a turn so the hands don't need to move.

on the street is different.

this is why you see rally cars, drifters, touring car, etc use a sequential shifter. because they actually have to turn the steering wheel just like a normal car.

flappy paddles in cars are a fad put in place by marketing bozos and everyone has to copy everyone nowadays so now all auto cars have stupid flappy paddle shifters.

it's dumb and if you argue you're proving you're dumb. :)

Maybe you should get your facts straight before making dumb statements. The paddles are attached to the wheel, not the column so they move with the wheel and your hands.

ROFL

Yes, and having them attached to the wheel is in the racing world considered incorrect. They are supposed to be attached to the column to truly be properly functional and are usually around 6" tall. Not 2-3" in size like on most street vehicles.

Again, that applies to a wheel you only turn at most 90* each way lock to lock.

Consider your facts straightened. :)

Doug DeMuro has an excellent write up on paddle shifters. Doug explains why race cars have static paddles attached to the column and why most manufacturers have moved them to the wheel. Hint, it's a compromise.

My counter point is instead of putting them on the wheel, shifting should be placed back on the center console like it's been for the last 50+ years.

https://www.autotrader.com/car-news/whats-the-correct-location-for-paddle-shifters-266345

Here's an overview of the situation as I see it. Right now, there are two types of paddle shifters -- paddles on the wheel, or paddles on the steering column. The vast majority of street cars with paddle shifters stick them on the steering wheel, while virtually every race car with paddle shifters has them mounted on the steering column.

To me, and to everyone who's serious about driving, the race cars have it right. Here's why: When you're in a tremendously tight corner, and you've gone hand-over-hand on the steering wheel, meaning that you no longer really know exactly what part of the wheel is "up," you don't want there to be any ambiguity at all about where you can shift gears. So if you're in a tight corner, and you're slowing down from 200 miles per hour, and your steering wheel is inverted as you negotiate the bend, you don't want to have to look down and figure out where your downshift paddle has gone. You want that thing sitting there, precisely where you'd expect it, precisely where it always is, on the same side of the steering wheel.

The alternative is tremendously annoying: While you're turning, while you're braking, while you're finding the right racing line, you have to also be thinking about the direction of the steering wheel, in case you need to fire off a downshift. It's bad design for anyone who's really serious about driving on the track.

And so, race cars do it right: In a world where hundredths of a second count, race car designers take great effort to ensure they have no disadvantages. Race cars mount their paddle shifters on the column, and they sit there, bolted down, unmoving throughout the race.

But it isn't quite as easy in road cars. You see, race cars don't have column-mounted stalks for the turn signals or windshield wipers. Instead, virtually everything in most modern race cars is controlled solely from the steering wheel itself, leaving race car steering columns freed up to contain the paddle shifters.

But road cars do have stalks -- for the turn signals, the wipers, the cruise control and sometimes even the transmission. And if a car manufacturer started bolting the shift paddles to the steering column, it would have to redesign a car's column-mounted stalks to be longer, and to have strange angles, so they could still integrate these things easily around the paddle shifters. Naturally, carmakers don't want to do this because it adds cost and complexity, and so most cars have steering wheel-mounted paddles.

However, Maxy, they probably shouldn't. For a serious car, with serious driving capabilities, intended to be used on the track, the paddles should stay still when the steering wheel turns. With that said, most of us don't drive on the track, so most of us don't really care -- and this isn't a topic that earns a lot of complaints. Nonetheless, I hope I've successfully pursueded your friends.

No one here ever said paddle shifters solve everything. If you read my post, with spirited driving, both your hands on the wheel is much safer than one on the wheel & one on the shifter. I don't consider turning from a stop sign or a light spirited driving.

A manual transmission is going to give more power & acceleration than a automatic (things are getting better) BUT, how many Edge's made for the US Market have a manual trans? The American car market is geared towards Automatic Transmissions more so than manuals because most people don't want to learn to drive a manual.

If you want to get real technical, you should always try to do your shifting, accelerating, braking in the straightest line possible. That way, it doesn't upset the vehicle with jerks or potential lock ups or wheel spins. Granted, LSD's will help with acceleration to put more power down than an open differential.

I've never said that paddle shifters would replace a manual transmission, but for the occasional 'spirited drive' they work fine. I'd almost bet to say that over 98% of all Edge's sold never go into Sport or manual mode. A manual trans Edge would be nice to have, but they wouldn't sell enough in the US Market to justify their production costs.

Paddle shifters or shifters with an up or down switch on them basically replace the older style shifters with, 1,2,D & OD. If these weren't in placr, there wouldn't be a way to manually select these gears. Again, 98%+ of these things produced will never be used, but it's there just incase.

No one here ever said paddle shifters solve everything. If you read my post, with spirited driving, both your hands on the wheel is much safer than one on the wheel & one on the shifter. I don't consider turning from a stop sign or a light spirited driving.

A manual transmission is going to give more power & acceleration than a automatic (things are getting better) BUT, how many Edge's made for the US Market have a manual trans? The American car market is geared towards Automatic Transmissions more so than manuals because most people don't want to learn to drive a manual.

If you want to get real technical, you should always try to do your shifting, accelerating, braking in the straightest line possible. That way, it doesn't upset the vehicle with jerks or potential lock ups or wheel spins. Granted, LSD's will help with acceleration to put more power down than an open differential.

I've never said that paddle shifters would replace a manual transmission, but for the occasional 'spirited drive' they work fine. I'd almost bet to say that over 98% of all Edge's sold never go into Sport or manual mode. A manual trans Edge would be nice to have, but they wouldn't sell enough in the US Market to justify their production costs.

Paddle shifters or shifters with an up or down switch on them basically replace the older style shifters with, 1,2,D & OD. If these weren't in placr, there wouldn't be a way to manually select these gears. Again, 98%+ of these things produced will never be used, but it's there just incase.

Not sure why you're bringing up manuals. Not talking about manuals.

The original poster wanted to put a sequential style shifter on the center console. Most argued why as you have the paddle shifters. I explained why paddle shifters are not the 'best' alternative. It is a marketing fad. Nothing more.

A proper sequential lever on the center console accomplishes the ability to manually change gears far more efficiently than paddle shifters. I'm not sure who taught you how to drive, but i'm not aware of anyone that drives aggressively and leaves their hands on the shifter, manual or not. You move your hand to the shifter, change gear, and move it back. The process can happen in less than a second.

Also, I do believe a vast majority of drivers who are just driving normally do not keep their hands at 10/2 100% of the time.

Safety nazi's and this trend in touch screens along with the marketing ploy that the car has paddle shifters and therefore is sporty is causing the steering wheel/column to be the end all location of all vehicles controls. There simply isn't the real estate to do this efficiently.

Frankly, I think the whole idea of manually shifting a "slush box" is a marketing ploy aimed at overgrown teenagers... the ones who put baseball cards in the spokes of their bicycles so they could pretend to be on a motorcycle. For most people there are only very limited situations where manually shifting an automatic is useful and those can be accomplished by moving the normal shift lever (e.g. using second gear in stop-and-go traffic). Otherwise, "spirited driving" in a CUV (especially an unmodified one) is something of an oxymoron.

Doug DeMuro has an excellent write up on paddle shifters. Doug explains why race cars have static paddles attached to the column and why most manufacturers have moved them to the wheel. Hint, it's a compromise.

My counter point is instead of putting them on the wheel, shifting should be placed back on the center console like it's been for the last 50+ years.

https://www.autotrader.com/car-news/whats-the-correct-location-for-paddle-shifters-266345

Here's an overview of the situation as I see it. Right now, there are two types of paddle shifters -- paddles on the wheel, or paddles on the steering column. The vast majority of street cars with paddle shifters stick them on the steering wheel, while virtually every race car with paddle shifters has them mounted on the steering column.

To me, and to everyone who's serious about driving, the race cars have it right. Here's why: When you're in a tremendously tight corner, and you've gone hand-over-hand on the steering wheel, meaning that you no longer really know exactly what part of the wheel is "up," you don't want there to be any ambiguity at all about where you can shift gears. So if you're in a tight corner, and you're slowing down from 200 miles per hour, and your steering wheel is inverted as you negotiate the bend, you don't want to have to look down and figure out where your downshift paddle has gone. You want that thing sitting there, precisely where you'd expect it, precisely where it always is, on the same side of the steering wheel.

The alternative is tremendously annoying: While you're turning, while you're braking, while you're finding the right racing line, you have to also be thinking about the direction of the steering wheel, in case you need to fire off a downshift. It's bad design for anyone who's really serious about driving on the track.

And so, race cars do it right: In a world where hundredths of a second count, race car designers take great effort to ensure they have no disadvantages. Race cars mount their paddle shifters on the column, and they sit there, bolted down, unmoving throughout the race.

But it isn't quite as easy in road cars. You see, race cars don't have column-mounted stalks for the turn signals or windshield wipers. Instead, virtually everything in most modern race cars is controlled solely from the steering wheel itself, leaving race car steering columns freed up to contain the paddle shifters.

But road cars do have stalks -- for the turn signals, the wipers, the cruise control and sometimes even the transmission. And if a car manufacturer started bolting the shift paddles to the steering column, it would have to redesign a car's column-mounted stalks to be longer, and to have strange angles, so they could still integrate these things easily around the paddle shifters. Naturally, carmakers don't want to do this because it adds cost and complexity, and so most cars have steering wheel-mounted paddles.

However, Maxy, they probably shouldn't. For a serious car, with serious driving capabilities, intended to be used on the track, the paddles should stay still when the steering wheel turns. With that said, most of us don't drive on the track, so most of us don't really care -- and this isn't a topic that earns a lot of complaints. Nonetheless, I hope I've successfully pursueded your friends.

Doug Demuro is a writer, not a racer. And he's completely wrong. Because the paddles stay with the wheel, upshifts are always via your right hand and downshifts via your left hand (or vice versa) regardless of position. You don't forget which one is which just because the wheel is turned. I've experienced this myself on Gran Turismo with a logitech racing wheel.

Just look at all the major racing series - IndyCar, Formula 1, LeMans prototypes, etc. etc. - they all have the paddles attached to the wheel as one unit.

Are paddles on a daily driver a marketing ploy? Somewhat. But that doesn't mean they aren't occasionally useful for downshifting before you get on the gas to make a pass or to hold a lower gear while going downhill or to hold a higher gear and prevent downshifts. They are not a substitute for a true manual transmission. They just give you complete control over gear selection for the rare occasions you need it.

Even on high performance vehicles such as the porsche 911 GT3 or Ferrari 458/488 the dual clutch autos are so good in auto mode that you don't even have to use the paddles. They downshift while braking and keep the car in the perfect gear 95% of the time.

Are paddles on a daily driver a marketing ploy? Somewhat. But that doesn't mean they aren't occasionally useful for downshifting before you get on the gas to make a pass or to hold a lower gear while going downhill or to hold a higher gear and prevent downshifts. They are not a substitute for a true manual transmission. They just give you complete control over gear selection for the rare occasions you need it.

Even on high performance vehicles such as the porsche 911 GT3 or Ferrari 458/488 the dual clutch autos are so good in auto mode that you don't even have to use the paddles. They downshift while braking and keep the car in the perfect gear 95% of the time.

Agreed... there are definitely times when manual control is desirable. Your example of hilly/mountainous driving is a good one although I found that the simple overdrive override on our '13 Edge was quite sufficient for that. Going through North Carolina and West Virginia with the OD off made a huge difference both up and downhill - almost no kick-down shifting going up and much less brake usage going down. And, as I mentioned, in stop-and-go traffic it's nice to be able to control speed with the throttle in a lower gear rather than being on and off the brakes all the time. But neither of those (or most other driving situations) necessitate manually and sequentially rowing through the gears regularly. As you mention, automatic transmissions are much better than they used to be and will generally respond appropriately without the need for manual control.

Doug Demuro is a writer, not a racer. And he's completely wrong. Because the paddles stay with the wheel, upshifts are always via your right hand and downshifts via your left hand (or vice versa) regardless of position. You don't forget which one is which just because the wheel is turned. I've experienced this myself on Gran Turismo with a logitech racing wheel.

Just look at all the major racing series - IndyCar, Formula 1, LeMans prototypes, etc. etc. - they all have the paddles attached to the wheel as one unit.

Have you ever driven, you yourself, a ferrari on a race track? I doubt it, because you're coming across like a 12 yr old trying to one up argue his friends.

Seriously, you've lost all credibility by comparing real life street cars with Gran Turismo and a logitech steering wheel.

Next you're gong to tell me you're on the level of navy seal because you play call of duty.

Edited by commbubba19

My complaint isn't the functionality of paddle shifters, it's the placement. Wheel or column, street cars should have the gear shifter on the center console, not the wheel. Justifying the shifter being on the wheel because race cars do is just dumb considering many race cars also use sequential shifters on the center console. It's a marketing/packaging thing only. Not what's most efficient for driving.

Is it handy to down shift using the paddle when passing or slowing? Sure. Can i do the same thing with a lever on the console? Absolutely. Is it more dangers? No.

Is it more convenient and practical to shift on the console vs wheel? Yes.

it is a trend that will die off eventually but not soon enough.

Have you ever driven, you yourself, a ferrari on a race track? I doubt it, because you're coming across like a 12 yr old trying to one up argue his friends.

Seriously, you've lost all credibility by comparing real life street cars with Gran Turismo and a logitech steering wheel.

Next you're gong to tell me you're on the level of navy seal because you play call of duty.

I actually have driven a ferrari 458 (and a porsche 911 GT3 and an Audi A8) on a real racetrack and I have video to prove it. I was using the game controls to illustrate why it's perfectly fine to have the paddles attached to the wheel and that you can easily shift even if the wheel is turned 180 degrees. I've aldo driven cars with stick shifts, cars with electronic shifting on the console and cars with paddle shifters.

First you said that paddles are attached to the column and therefore unsuitable except for cars where the wheel doesn't turn much. That was completely incorrect. They are attached to the wheel.

Why did older race cars (and some current ones) use a console shifter? Because they were using a mechanical shift linkage. You can't use paddle shifters to shift a mechanical transmission. With the move to electronically controlled transmissions came paddle shifters.

It is inherently safer to keep both hands on the wheel than it is to take one hand off the wheel every time you need to shift. Insisting otherwise is silly.

I actually have driven a ferrari 458 (and a porsche 911 GT3 and an Audi A8) on a real racetrack and I have video to prove it. I was using the game controls to illustrate why it's perfectly fine to have the paddles attached to the wheel and that you can easily shift even if the wheel is turned 180 degrees. I've aldo driven cars with stick shifts, cars with electronic shifting on the console and cars with paddle shifters.

First you said that paddles are attached to the column and therefore unsuitable except for cars where the wheel doesn't turn much. That was completely incorrect. They are attached to the wheel.

Why did older race cars (and some current ones) use a console shifter? Because they were using a mechanical shift linkage. You can't use paddle shifters to shift a mechanical transmission. With the move to electronically controlled transmissions came paddle shifters.

It is inherently safer to keep both hands on the wheel than it is to take one hand off the wheel every time you need to shift. Insisting otherwise is silly.

I said flappy paddles came from f1. didn't say which style.

f1 cars do have them on the wheel because the wheel does not turn very much. therefore the driver always knows where the paddle is.

on race cars derived from street cars and high end street cars, most have large paddles attached to the column much like explained by doug. others have moved to the wheel. the problem occurs as soon as you go hand over hand, you've lost the location of the paddle (on the street, rare on track).

however, many other race cars like i already mentioned, use a sequential console style.

my point is, for a STREET based vehicle, such as the edge. Having steering mounted paddles is for marketing. not to actually improve street driving dynamics. a sequential style shifter on the console is far more practical.

go try what i asked you to do and be in sport mode with the gear selector in 1 at a stop turning right into the inside lane and try to keep your right hand near the shift paddle. you can't. you will have to look down to upshift or be some sort of contortionist or simply rev it out in 1st until you straighten out the steering wheel and can flick the paddle. it's dumb for street driving. to argue about what's best on a road course is pointless considering an edge (and most street cars with flappy paddles) will never see a road course.

and yes i call bs on the whole keep both hands on the wheel at all times crap.

Perhaps you misunderstand what it means to have the paddles attached to the wheel. The paddles are at the 3 and 9 o'clock position all the time. You hands are at 3 and 9 or 2 and 10 and your hands always have access to the paddles no matter how far you turn right or left. That's why you can always find the paddle to shift - you don't have to hunt for it or look for it - it's right there.

Unless you're saying that you don't keep your hands at 3 and 9 and you move them around on the wheel while you're driving. But that's not recommended. You keep your hands in the same place with access to the paddles.

And if you insist on claiming that one hand on the wheel is just as good and safe as two hands then we can just stop the discussion now because you're being irrational.

Perhaps you misunderstand what it means to have the paddles attached to the wheel. The paddles are at the 3 and 9 o'clock position all the time. You hands are at 3 and 9 or 2 and 10 and your hands always have access to the paddles no matter how far you turn right or left. That's why you can always find the paddle to shift - you don't have to hunt for it or look for it - it's right there.

Unless you're saying that you don't keep your hands at 3 and 9 and you move them around on the wheel while you're driving. But that's not recommended. You keep your hands in the same place with access to the paddles.

And if you insist on claiming that one hand on the wheel is just as good and safe as two hands then we can just stop the discussion now because you're being irrational.

So you've never been on a 500 mile drive and taken one hand off the wheel? Do you feel less safe if/when you do? Doesn't matter, let's stay on topic or at least more so.

Speaking just to driving on the street, you're assumption is that your hands always stay at 9 and 3 when making a turn. It is impossible to turn a vehicle from lock to lock while your hands remain at 9 and 3.