2017 Heated / Cooled seats TSB?

Just continuing this from the other thread,

So the heating portion of the seats seam to work fine. The cooling portion, not so much.

Is the heat delivered by air or heating elements? I hear a blower come on when I use cooling but not with heat even though they get warm.

It's been mentioned that the cooling sucks on the 2017 and there might be a TSB, does anyone know the number?

Now that it's cold out I won't need cooling till the spring.

I just want to be prepared for the warm weather. (It can't come soon enough!)

Thanks

Lenny

Just continuing this from the other thread,

So the heating portion of the seats seam to work fine. The cooling portion, not so much.

Is the heat delivered by air or heating elements? I hear a blower come on when I use cooling but not with heat even though they get warm.

It's been mentioned that the cooling sucks on the 2017 and there might be a TSB, does anyone know the number?

Now that it's cold out I won't need cooling till the spring.

I just want to be prepared for the warm weather. (It can't come soon enough!)

Thanks

Lenny

Where was that mentioned, any links?

My 2017 seats heat and cool great.

I believe the heating feature is done with electric heating elements (pretty much just resistors) positioned throughout the seat (similar to an electric heating blanket) but the cooling feature is A/C air flow piped into seats that exits thru the perforated inlays and onto your back and arse (hence the blower sound when turned on).

Edited by roots57

I believe the heating feature is done with electric heating elements (pretty much just resistors) positioned throughout the seat (similar to an electric heating blanket) but the cooling feature is A/C air flow piped into seats that exits thru the perforated inlays and onto your back and arse (hence the blower sound when turned on).

Not true...its a TED unit that controls both. If you had access to the service manual you would be able to see for yourself.

The seats with heat only have just a heating element. With air conditioned seats, like JMR061 said, the current flows on way through the TED and the seat heats, the opposite way and it cools. The difference between them, in the heating mode the fan only comes on low, in cooling mode is depends on which of thr three levels you set the control.

The seats with heat only have just a heating element. With air conditioned seats, like JMR061 said, the current flows on way through the TED and the seat heats, the opposite way and it cools. The difference between them, in the heating mode the fan only comes on low, in cooling mode is depends on which of thr three levels you set the control.

I don't want to sound stupid, but what does TED stand for? Also, when in heating mode, if the fan is on low, what controls the temperature when you change settings on the switch (hi, low, medium)? I I'm assuming some kind of blend door. But You know what happens when one assumes.....

In cooling, the switch seems to change the fan speed.

Thanks guys

Lenny

Not true...its a TED unit that controls both. If you had access to the service manual you would be able to see for yourself.

Yes I just figured this out myself, it uses thermoelectric coolers to reduce the temp of the ambient air being sucked into the port below the seats. Pretty cool. I'm glad it doesn't use A/C flow.

It transfers heat between 2 plates with semiconductors. Depending on which side you're on and/or the polarity of the current you get heat or cold (lack of heat).

A fan blows air across the device.

Think of it like a miniature window air conditioner - it blows cold air on the inside and hot exhaust air on the outside. But it does it with electrical components instead of compressed gas.

• 5 months later...

Anyone else have zero airflow in the seat back but plenty on the seat bottom? I noticed this yesterday in my 2018, only 800 miles on it so I don't think it's a dust / blockage issue.

Generally, the seat back`s cooling effect is weak & hard to feel, especially compared to the seat bottom. I had the same issue with my previous MKX. There was a TSB for 2015 models & early build 2016's, but later builds & 2017-2018 models already have the newer seat back TED units. If you turn on the seat hear, do you feel the heat in the seat back? If yes, then there is no blockage.

• Like 1

Generally, the seat back`s cooling effect is weak & hard to feel, especially compared to the seat bottom. I had the same issue with my previous MKX. There was a TSB for 2015 models & early build 2016's, but later builds & 2017-2018 models already have the newer seat back TED units. If you turn on the seat hear, do you feel the heat in the seat back? If yes, then there is no blockage.

Thanks Omar! Yeah that definitely is the case in mine, just making sure it isn't defective from the factory.

PerfaZn0w, my wife decided she was tired of driving a Focus so she "allocated" my 2012 to her daily driver. Traded the Focus in on the 2018 Edge for myself. Now we are a two Edge and one Corvette family.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...