2017 Edge Sport. No rails. No holes. No gutter. WAT?

Really excited to about my new 2017 Ford Edge Sport! I'm on day 3 of ownership and I'm starting to order some accessories, get those windows tinted (hello So Cal sun), and get some low clearance snow cables. My plates are headed to me in the mail and I'm ready to strap a snowboard to the top and hit the road.

One problem: I went to order some crossbars for the roof rack, when I realized... there are no base rails. When I hopped up to look at the roof, I don't see any plastic or rubber lined gutters on the side edges. There are no fixed holes for a base rack to screw into. I don't have a the panoramic sun roof (it's just solid up top).

Please tell me Ford didn't just sell me a Sport Utility Vehicle, in the sport trim, with AWD... does not have roof rack options. Was my vehicle supposed to come with base rails? I don't even see where Ford sells the base rails.

I tried Googling and searching this forum for about 2 hours, with no real results. Other posts are from years ago (older Edges seem to have a rubber-lined gutter that reveal fixed mounting points). Is this something Ford just changed with the 2017 models? Is this something that's just omitted on the Sport trim?

Thank you!

Edited by jeremydgreat

Hi enigma-2. I'm just learning about "bare roof" aftermarket racks (looks like Yakima and Rhino Rack make them). They attach by gripping the painted edges of the vehicle, in the door jam, with a metal clamp. Yikes! I understand the base of the racks (that bear the weight) have rubber feet. I just can't imagine those rubber feet won't scuff up that roof paint over time. I'm more concerned about those metal (METAL!) clamps on the paint. Anyone else used these? Are those my only option? :shrug:

@nick - From the factory only? Or can you get them afterwards? Do they need to be drilled into the roof?

I called my local dealer and a parts manager spent 30 minutes clicking around https://accessories.ford.com with me, grumbling at his slow computer, and finally giving me a part number for the crossbars (the ones that require the base rails :huh: ). I couldn't find a listing for the rails.

Do you have a link or a part number? I see the "Side Roof Rails Bars" for older Edge models here but can't find the equivalent for 2017 models.

Edited by jeremydgreat

bare roof rails are factory install only. I'm guessing there's a fair amount of internal installation that once the roof is put together you can't get to.

I have the Yakima rack system with the core bars on my non-sunroof 2015 sport. Have used it summer and winter for carrying all assortment of items and have no problems. There's no metal-on-metal with the install, and the rubber mounting surfaces haven't scratched or marred anything.

@ben After talking with the dealer and for part directly, it's true. Ford sells a Sport Utility Vehicle, in the sport trim, with no roof rails. And they're not available after market. I'm not sure it would have been a deal breaker, but it's definitely a bummer.

@redlancer Can you clarify what you mean by "There's no metal-on-metal with the install"? I know the main supports have rubber feet on them (the part that sits on top of the actual roof) but there's also a metal bracket that extends out and into the door jam. From that I can see, even on the Yakima version, they're all metal brackets.

• 4 weeks later...

@redlancer Can you clarify what you mean by "There's no metal-on-metal with the install"? I know the main supports have rubber feet on them (the part that sits on top of the actual roof) but there's also a metal bracket that extends out and into the door jam. From that I can see, even on the Yakima version, they're all metal brackets.

You can see on the brackets the second black layer, that layer is rubber over the top of the metal part. It's relatively thin, but sufficient and durable enough to get the job done. I've had them on/off probably a dozen times since getting them and there are no marks or scratches

Y06139_21_1000.jpg

• Like 1