Hood/bug guard/deflector

shumax

I have it on mine and it's not translucent at all so painting the inside wouldn't work. If it was clear, you would be able to see the double sided tape around the edges. You could paint match the outside of it, but I'm sure you would need to prime it first with something and you would have to use plasticizer it the paint, similar to how bumper covers are painted, but that might work. I would suggest that you simply use clear PPF (paint protection film) on the leading edge of the hood. It's thick enough to protect against most road debris. Way cheaper than trying to paint match something.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I bought the clear vinyl off of Amazon. It was of nice enough quality. 2 hours of messing with it, along with a heat gun and I had it down and it looked like crap. I've tinted windows before, so I get how the process works - this isn't my first rodeo. Tiny white bubbles like you see in window tint everywhere. Let it dry and it was actually worse. Peeled it off and sent it back to Amazon. Frustrating use of my time and effort.

A week later, I have the AVS deflector on my porch. After taking it out of the box, it was on the car in less than 10min. I am not a fan of these things, but the dark grill helps it bend in and looks acceptable to me.

Shumax

• Like 1

I bought the clear vinyl off of Amazon. It was of nice enough quality. 2 hours of messing with it, along with a heat gun and I had it down and it looked like crap. I've tinted windows before, so I get how the process works - this isn't my first rodeo. Tiny white bubbles like you see in window tint everywhere. Let it dry and it was actually worse. Peeled it off and sent it back to Amazon. Frustrating use of my time and effort.A week later, I have the AVS deflector on my porch. After taking it out of the box, it was on the car in less than 10min. I am not a fan of these things, but the dark grill helps it bend in and looks acceptable to me.Shumax

Might have just been a crap film. If you already have decent experience with auto films, it should not have that problem. Some of the top brands I know of for PPF are 3M, Hexis, Avery Dennison, Vvivid, and Oracal. Did it say the brand on the backing paper or anywhere? I know there are a lot of cheap no-name brands of auto films all over the internet. After I remove my avs aero-skin (one corner is lifting off) I'm hoping to try PPF instead and hopefully I don't have that problem too. Or I may trace the profile of the avs guard and do it over in black vinyl. It wont have the same level of protection as the avs, but should be sufficient to keep common road debris from damaging the paint.

Edited by roots57
  • Like 1