Catch can with tune

Mikula

Several threads on this:

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/17376-direct-injection-and-carbon-buildup/?fromsearch=1

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/22636-2016-edge-sport-catch-can-installed/?fromsearch=1

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/22063-oil-catch-can-on-the-20l-ecoboost/?fromsearch=1

Tuned or not, blow by, coking, carbon build up are issues with direct injection. A oil catch can will reduce the effects of this. Constant flogging with exasperate the effects of the above issues.

Edited by lildisco
  • Like 1

The UPR kit was 500 usd, and then labour was about 400 usd.

12'000 km on the kit now. Both cans had close to nothing in them.

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/20911-27eb-oil-catch-can-lms-tune/page-3 post 42

I'm not bothering with it after reading that.

Didn't your Google Youtube search come up with existing threads on here?

$900 USD is quite high. I forget the exact numbers, but i want to say that i was under $500 including installation. I find that i accumulate more in the winter than in the summer months. Between my wife & i, we don't usually drive like a-holes, so maybe that's why we don't accumulate much. My CX7 2.3L Direct Injection picks up A LOT of blow by & junk, but i tend to drive like an a-hole driving it, but it's 'quick' to me.

$900 USD is quite high. I forget the exact numbers, but i want to say that i was under $500 including installation. I find that i accumulate more in the winter than in the summer months. Between my wife & i, we don't usually drive like a-holes, so maybe that's why we don't accumulate much. My CX7 2.3L Direct Injection picks up A LOT of blow by & junk, but i tend to drive like an a-hole driving it, but it's 'quick' to me.

Makes you question how some of those YouTube posters collect a pint over a few hundred miles.

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/20911-27eb-oil-catch-can-lms-tune/page-3 post 42

I'm not bothering with it after reading that.

Didn't your Google Youtube search come up with existing threads on here?

I'm not sure what you mean. nearly everyone recommends the catch can, beez only had 7500 miles on it with the can, and no one knows his driving style, or weather during that time, and then later admitted he felt the other manufacturers were a better kit. based on the time of his post, it was during summer, therefore less gunk n junk.

paying 35k or more for a vehicle and complaining about a few hundred bucks for a bit of insurance. no brainer in my eyes. also considering the install isn't that labor intensive (for the mechanically inclined) its really not that expensive.

I have a F150 3.5 ecoboost and don't plan on using a can. On the ecoboost forum I haven't read of anyone getting that much crud in only a couple hundred miles. It certainly wouldn't hurt to use one but I just don't think you see any ecoboosts flooding the shops to get their valves cleaned. The valve coking got me scared so I got my Edge with the 3.5 N/A motor.

I have a F150 3.5 ecoboost and don't plan on using a can. On the ecoboost forum I haven't read of anyone getting that much crud in only a couple hundred miles. It certainly wouldn't hurt to use one but I just don't think you see any ecoboosts flooding the shops to get their valves cleaned. The valve coking got me scared so I got my Edge with the 3.5 N/A motor.

its an issue on any direct injection engine, not just ecoboost. seems to be exacerbated by the turbos though.

I'm keen to hear first hand reviews from our members here, vs others on Youtube who drain quarts from their catch cans after a couple of hundred miles.

It can only be considered "insurance" if its confirmed to meet the claims.

i wouldn't see any reason for random people on the internet to give a thumbs up on a product or lie about results. 5 drops of oil in a catch can to me is enough insurance if i plan to keep this thing for any length of time. oil on the valves is oil on the valves. will your engine blow up or run like hell if you don't have a catch can. 50/50 chance. some people will pay it, some wont. i probably will.

I believe that Ford used Low friction rings for better fuel economy, which allows oil to get passed the rings much easier.

I've had several people who had ecoboosts with over 50,000 miles begin to experience hesitation & stuttering on take offs. Ford doesn't want to admit that there is a problem with Direct Injection & have to pay for valve cleaning as, to my knowledge, haven't come up with a solution for this yet.

Edited by lildisco

its an issue on any direct injection engine, not just ecoboost. seems to be exacerbated by the turbos though.

i wouldn't see any reason for random people on the internet to give a thumbs up on a product or lie about results. 5 drops of oil in a catch can to me is enough insurance if i plan to keep this thing for any length of time. oil on the valves is oil on the valves. will your engine blow up or run like hell if you don't have a catch can. 50/50 chance. some people will pay it, some wont. i probably will.

You can get your catch can if you want. I wasn't trying to say you don't need to. You're right all DI engines are prone to valve coking but we were talking about ecoboost engines. I'll bet there are close to 2 million ecoboost motors if not more sold by Ford and they aren't lined up at the dealers getting there valves cleaned. Are the valves coking? Probably. Are the motors blowing up because of coking? Probably not but they may run like crap. Even with a catch can you still will get more then 5 drops of oil on your valves. I know you're going to say it will prolong the coking, and it will. I'm just not sold on one. That's just me. My thought is with millions of these motors out there , there has to be tons of them with lots of miles on them without coking issues. I'll take my chances. Who knows maybe in 6 or 7 years we can post our progress on this same thread. Edited by Tightanium
  • Like 1

I believe that Ford used Low friction rings for better fuel economy, which allows oil to get passed the rings much easier.

I think this issue is related to combustion gas passing the rings and pressurizing the crankcase.

I don't know if Ford use special low friction rings, but if they do and these result in increased bypass, it would be less fuel efficient.

I'm not sure what you mean. nearly everyone recommends the catch can, beez only had 7500 miles on it with the can, and no one knows his driving style, or weather during that time, and then later admitted he felt the other manufacturers were a better kit. based on the time of his post, it was during summer, therefore less gunk n junk.

paying 35k or more for a vehicle and complaining about a few hundred bucks for a bit of insurance. no brainer in my eyes. also considering the install isn't that labor intensive (for the mechanically inclined) its really not that expensive.

UPR SUCKS BIG TIME. I'm at ~ 18 '000 km now. I drain both cans at least at each oil change which is ~ every 5000 km. They never have more than a thin coating of fluid in them, even added SS wool, it helped a little. As to driving habits, I drive the car hard, always getting into boost and its tuned. This was mainly in summer/spring conditions so that does impact what is collected. I'll be updating that topic thread after the winter.

Also, I had the kit installed since the initial quote was cheaper than me buying it paying shipping, duties and taxes and wonderful handling fees. I had to buy the lms tuner, which would've been brutal to pay taxes and duties on. It was just cheaper to have everything done by lms. But after it was installed the labour cost was double of the quote, but nothing I could do.

The kit is not meant to fit well in the edge, the lines bend far more than they should, the rear can is a PITA to remove and drain.

Get another companies kit, they are cheaper, more compact, and overall better. UPR SUCKS.

Edited by Beezz
  • Like 1

Get another companies kit, they are cheaper, more compact, and overall better. UPR SUCKS.

sad to hear about that. I use UPR for nearly everything on my drag car. between them and team z motorsports i've never found better companies for parts and customer service. then again, like you said this isn't exactly made for the edge. I'll look elsewhere for the catch can. thanks for the update.

• Like 1

@Beezz are you planning to install another catch can?

If I dont have to pay for it........ then yes :twister:

I used the large RX catch can on my girlfriend's Edge. I drain it every 5,000 miles when i change to oil. It pulls about 6oz of oil and water at each drain. I use JLT seperators on my boosted F150 they keep damn near all the oil out of the intake track.

Everyone with the RX systems seems to be catching a good amount of fluid. RX is the way to go.

• Like 1

Hey all, new guy going through negotiation on a 2017 Edge Sport and current 2000 Mustang GT Premium owner. I was wondering about this as well, and from what I was told by mechanics is that you should not modify the vehicle or jeopardize the warranty. They recommended using top tier 87 fuel instead of premium to reduce carbon build up from the DI, and to do a periodic "Italian tune up" (flooring it to clean it out) -- unless you're doing a lot of towing or racing in hot weather, the best way to reduce carbon is to use top tier 87 gas like the owner's manual says :)

Edited by agentl074
  • Like 1

Eeeeeh, what type of mechanics were they? Oil changers? The side effects of coking have been seen on many different vehicles. Audi's, Ford, Volkswagen, etc.

Coking is an issue with Direct Injection as there is no 'recommended' way to clean the intake valves. The back side of the valves catch all the oil & 'junk' spit out from the pcv system & then get baked onto the back of the valve.

Using a Top Tier gas station is DEFINITELY recommended. I do think that the Top Tier term isn't as 'elite' as it used to be,but the benefits of using a Top Tier gas station has been proven.

A catch can isn't going to void your warranty. If purchased from a reputable source (not ebay knockoffs), installed & mounted properly, the can shouldn't even be noticed by the average person. Also, they have to PROVE that the catch caused something to fail. Like for example, the sun roof failed to open, welp you have a catch can installed, sorry, your warranty is voided. Nope, isn't going to happen. Having said that, I've seen warranties voided before, but it was quite obvious that the component in question did cause a particular part to fail.

The occasional "Italian Tune Up" also doesn't hurt, but you have to realize that these ecoboost turbos are being used a lot more than what you might think. Pretty much every take off (when not driving like a granny) you're in boost. Going up a hill, you're in boost. Passing someone, yep, you guessed it, in boost. These smaller engines with turbos work harder because they're designed to. It's just that pesky PVC & emission systems that regurgitate all that nasty stuff back into the intake to be burned off & it gets baked onto the intake valves.

Changing your oil before the car recommends it OR around 5,000-7,000 miles also helps as also with Direct Injection, there's oil dilution. Some unburnt fuel makes it to the oil with compounds with the other coking issues. Fresh oil, preferably a reputable company such as Mobil 1,also keeps things 'fresh & clean(er)'.

What all of this boils down to is personal preference. If you plan on keeping the car for years passed the factory warranty, i would recommend installing a catch can. If you're going to trade it in at or around the time the warranty expires, then i wouldn't worry about installing one.

I had a friend trade in her 2.0 Ecoboost Escape around 60,000 miles because it was stuttering under light acceleration & would hesitate on take offs. Both known issues related to coking. She didn't want to pay to have the intake taken apart & the intake valves cleaned. I'm 99% certain that the dealership cleaned up the exterior & sent it out to be sold within a week & didn't address those issues. The issues are there, it's up to you on how you want to proceed.

Edited by lildisco
  • Like 2

Hey all, new guy going through negotiation on a 2017 Edge Sport and current 2000 Mustang GT Premium owner. I was wondering about this as well, and from what I was told by mechanics is that you should not modify the vehicle or jeopardize the warranty. They recommended using top tier 87 fuel instead of premium to reduce carbon build up from the DI, and to do a periodic "Italian tune up" (flooring it to clean it out) -- unless you're doing a lot of towing or racing in hot weather, the best way to reduce carbon is to use top tier 87 gas like the owner's manual says :)

that mechanic hasn't driven one with a tune on it, or else he, too, would say screw the warranty!! ok all jokes aside I have not one time used anything but 93 octane since the moment i drove it off the lot with 26 miles on it. mostly because i've always been more concerned with detonation than coking, especially since i'm in texas and its got a turbo (or two).

what i've learned over the years is that every single situation is inherently different. exact same mods to exact same vehicle with different results. or "ford sucks, i had one blow up on me" to "well i had the same vehicle last me 7 million miles". do what you feel is good and go with it. if mine blows up at 15k miles and no one elses has blown up with the same mods, then i was the unlucky one, and i'll sleep in the bed i made.

after it has been tuned, yes, it could void the warranty if you take it in and theY check to see if it has been tuned. but yes, you can flash it back to stock before you take it to a dealer. same goes for a catch can (or any other mod for that matter). most mods can be switched back to stock, and no harm done to the warranty. though some of us aren't as mechanically inclined as others, which could pose a problem.

this place (and most car dedicated forums) have some good people giving you their real world experience with things. take it with a grain of salt, and realize no 2 situations are identical. That said... BUY THAT EDGE SPORT, BE IN THE COOL KIDS CLUB WITH US, AND BEAT ON IT!

Edited by Mikula
  • Like 1