Catch can with tune

Mikula

Hey all, new guy going through negotiation on a 2017 Edge Sport and current 2000 Mustang GT Premium owner. I was wondering about this as well, and from what I was told by mechanics is that you should not modify the vehicle or jeopardize the warranty. They recommended using top tier 87 fuel instead of premium to reduce carbon build up from the DI, and to do a periodic "Italian tune up" (flooring it to clean it out) -- unless you're doing a lot of towing or racing in hot weather, the best way to reduce carbon is to use top tier 87 gas like the owner's manual says :)

A catch can may or may not help with intake valve coking, but it will not jeopardize your warranty. Whether a catch can is useful depends on the amount of crankcase vapor carry through on your particular engine, the design of the catch can and the proper installation of the catch can.

Top Tier will do nothing for intake valve coking, as the fuel and therefore the detergents in the fuel, never touch the intake valves on a DI motor.

Using 87 vs 93 will do nothing for intake valve coking. Octane level has nothing to do with coking or carbon build up.

"Italian Tune-Up" will do nothing for intake valve coking, nor will it be of any other benefit. These aren't carbureted, oil consuming engines from 1960.

The owner's manual in Ecoboosts recommends 93 for best performance, if you bothered to read it. The 2.0 drives like a different car on 93.

Thanks for the replies! I guess every mechanic has an opinion lol. I'll just stick with what the owner's manual says

"Your vehicle is designed to operate on regular unleaded gasoline with a minimum pump (R+M)/2 octane rating of 87.

Some fuel stations, particularly those in high altitude areas, offer fuels posted as regular unleaded gasoline with an octane rating below 87.
For best overall vehicle and engine performance, premium fuel with an octane rating of 91 or higher is recommended. The performance gained by using premium fuel is most noticeable in hot weather as well as other conditions, for example when towing a trailer."
So yes, I obviously read the manual and the BIG 87 tag ;)

... and I'll keep things stock. Thanks guys!

Edited by agentl074

The owner's manual in Ecoboosts recommends 93 for best performance, if you bothered to read it. The 2.0 drives like a different car on 93.

my manual for '16 sport says nothing about using higher octane. recommends at least 87. doesn't once state or recommend to use 91 or higher. i just do because.. well.. habit i guess.

... and I'll keep things stock. Thanks guys!

Boooooooo!! Hissss!!

Edited by Mikula

This is from my manual:

E161513
Your vehicle is designed to operate on
regular unleaded gasoline with a minimum
pump (R+M)/2 octane rating of 87.
Some fuel stations, particularly those in
high altitude areas, offer fuels posted as
regular unleaded gasoline with an octane
rating below 87. We do not recommend
these fuels.
For best overall vehicle and engine
performance, premium fuel with an octane
rating of 91 or higher is recommended.
The
performance gained by using premium fuel
is most noticeable in hot weather as well
as other conditions, for example when
towing a trailer. See Towing (page 230).

Here's an interesting article on using premium (doesn't mean top tier gas)

Turns out 'recommended' Premium gas doesn't do much

In many cars and SUVs, Premium gasoline is "recommended," but not "required." Engineers at AAA set out to see whether using Premium gas instead of Regular really makes a difference in these cars.

On average, the vehicles got 2.7% better fuel economy when running Premium gas. But that's just an average. The results varied from a 7.1% improvement in the big Escalade SUV to a 1% decrease in fuel economy in the small Audi A3.

AAA also looked at horsepower output. On average, vehicles produced 1.4% more horsepower using Premium. It made the biggest difference in the V8-powered Mustang GT, which generated 3.2% more power using Premium. But the Jeep Renegade actually produced slightly less power when running on Premium.

Enough for me to stick with top tier premium - Costco is convenient for me, so I almost exclusively use their fuel, which is typically 20 to 30 cents cheaper.

Edited by 1004ron

• 2 weeks later...

Just a tad below 2100 miles since it was last drained (11/2/17), i decided to drain my Catch Can. I was quite surprised by how much came out. The weather has been in the single digits the last few 2 weeks (some nights/mornings in the negative) & this was the result. Very glad that I have a can to catch this junk, 2.0 Ecoboost:

post-41964-0-05541300-1515362688_thumb.jpg

post-41964-0-31628900-1515362700_thumb.jpg

post-41964-0-12488300-1515362716_thumb.jpg

Edited by lildisco
  • Like 1