check engine light

wayneo

how many miles on it? i always check the spark plug first. that can usually give you an answer. after that i check injectors and then go to ignition and compression tests.

just because it pulled a code for cylinder 6 doesn't mean it is always that cylinder. reset the code and check again when the code comes back, just to be sure its not a random cylinder. though most new cars throw a code that says it is random misfire, just make sure!

Edited by Mikula
  • Like 1

engines are just a fancy version of the "fire triangle" (i mean, not really.. but really). Check spark. check fuel. check oxygen (really more like compression or leak down).

but like i said, to start, check the plug. it may be worn out, or show signs of running lean. simply changing plugs might just be a band-aid, so take a good look at your plugs and see if there is a deeper issue. what do they look like? wet? black? brown? white? yellow? eroded? these things will give more information than we can sit here and guess about.

• Like 1

You have to pull the intake for the injector so it's always the perfect time to do the plugs. If I had more than 50K on the plugs i would do them if the manifold was off.

I would also switch the back coils to the front. IMHO It seems that the back three coils are subjected to much higher temps and their life can be extended by moving them to the front.

• Like 1