Auto lock/unlock

First time here. I am a DiYer and need help with a diagnoses Have had the 2013 Edge since Aug 17. Up until about a week ago have had no problems with the auto lock system. The lock works fine, when i hit 10ish mph the doors lock, but when I stop, park and shut off ignition the doors will no longer unlock, like I said they did up until a week ago. Side note, I did (and still do on drivers rear door) have the problem that the door ajar warning stayed on when doors are closed. I ran a magnetic switch parallel to the door switch circuit and it fixed that problem, that was months ago so I am pretty curtain that has nothing to do with current auto unlock issue.

Any ideas on which direction I could investigate this problem will help a lot.

Thanks

From your owner's manual:

The autounlock feature will unlock all the doors when:
• the ignition is on, all the doors are closed, and your vehicle has been
in motion at a speed greater than 12 mph (20 km/h);
• your vehicle has then come to a stop and the ignition is switched off
or to accessory; and
• the driver door is opened within 10 minutes of the ignition being
switched off or to accessory.

It has worked that way on all Ford vehicles for at least the last decade, maybe longer.

You don't have to manually unlock - you just have to open the driver's door.

I suspect in the past you were probably opening the door and turning off the ignition at the same time without realizing it. Or you just misremembered.

If not then maybe the owner's manual is wrong but I know that's how it worked in the past on other vehicles.

My 2013 SEL works as described above. All doors unlock once the key is out of the ignition and the drivers door is opened. Kids in the back are locked in unless I open my door.

They should be able to open the rear doors by pulling on the handle twice even if they're locked - unless you've activated the child locks.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

Mine is a 2013 Edge Limited with push button ignition. As I approach the car, with Fob in hand, the running lights go on and off, the door locks go up down, and the lights go on and off. These events occure at diffenrent times eg: not the same each time. I can be setting in the car, engine off, and a mechanisim in the door keeps pulsing as if the door is going to perform an operation. These events do not occur if the Fob is not moved eg: lay on dash.  I have disconnected the battery, cleaned the posts and replaced battries in the Fob.

9 hours ago, Guest Roy said:

Mine is a 2013 Edge Limited with push button ignition. As I approach the car, with Fob in hand, the running lights go on and off, the door locks go up down, and the lights go on and off. These events occure at diffenrent times eg: not the same each time. I can be setting in the car, engine off, and a mechanisim in the door keeps pulsing as if the door is going to perform an operation. These events do not occur if the Fob is not moved eg: lay on dash.  I have disconnected the battery, cleaned the posts and replaced battries in the Fob.

If you dissemble the remote completely, you'll find under the number pad small flexible "discs" glued to the button pad that make contact to the board when the buttons are pressed. I recall in some cases with this Fob design (used on 2011-2014 Edges) that the discs move from their positions and then would cause unwanted button presses. If that's your issue, try to positions them back correctly & maybe use a tiny amount of super glue between the discs & the button pad.

Edited by omar302