First oil change interval?

TurboToad

I was wondering if there's any valid reason to change the oil the first time at a shorter interval on the 3.5L? I realize that new engines today don't require 'break in' quite like they used to and metallic wear deposits are nearly non-existent. I also know I had a new 91 Jeep that had so much casting medium left in the block the oil filter was nearly filled with it requiring a new crate motor at 5K miles. I am thinking I will probably change oil early at 3K and make the switch to full synthetic like I've always done, plus we keep our vehicles a long time. The Edge is used primarily on very short trips around town but Summer temps here are consistently 100+ deg. I've used the MotorCraft blend in my 2011 E-350 since new and it seems to be a good choice. Thanks

Edited by TurboToad

Engineers run hundreds of tests to determine what intervals to do any service. engine especially. Ford would not want to give you a false number that would cause a premature engine failure, as that would look bad in every aspect of purchase/resale/etc. my service manual says 10k miles or whenever the oil life monitor instructs you to do so.

with all that mumbo jumbo being said, i will ALWAYS change my oil every 3500 miles or so. Royal Purple full synthetic went in at 3650, and i just did my oil change again at 7525. maybe its habit. maybe i'm paranoid.

Technically, the oil the engine leaves the factory with is the same as recommended in the manual (5w20). The engine is already supposed to have been broken in. BUT I would still change the oil that first time early, within 3,000 miles. Albeit drive it normally during that time.

The reason? This excerpt from the 2016 manual:

Calculating Fuel Economy
Do not measure fuel economy during the
first 1000 miles (1600 kilometers) of
driving (this is your engine’s break-in
period); a more accurate measurement is
obtained after 2000 miles - 3000 miles
(3200 kilometers - 4800 kilometers).

• Like 1

There's probably not a valid reason to change it earlier but it certainly wouldn't hurt. I also always change engine oil on a new or used purchase within 3k miles. It sets the benchmark that I can then follow. In reality, it probably would be great to change your oil every 1000 miles but there would be no valid practical reason to do it.

Thanks All. I think I'll stick with the 3K for it's first change and then full synthetic. I have lots of time to think, it only has 900 miles since July and my wife obviously doesn't drive it very far. It probably needs to spend more time at varying freeway speeds. On every older motor I've re-built the single weight break-in oil was changed at 1000 miles or # hours; same thinking applied to new generators, motorcycles, lawnmowers, and any 4-cycle equipment.

• Like 1

I change my oil every 200hrs (roughly 10K miles) have been for for a while. I use synthetic oils. If you are concerned with the heat you can bump up the viscosity a bit to a 30 and it will be fine in high heat situations. I have ran a 10W30 in the Duratec with no issues. As far as oil types. Humm it is what you believe it is. I am currently running my Duratec with this. Just about ready to drain it and test the oil but no issues so far, but I will let the oil test speak to the results.

• Like 1

That being said, Ford recommendations are fine for most people in the U.S. and Canada. For extreme cold like Alaska or in that region, try the 0W oil. For hotter regions like Florida, Arizona, Texas or further south, 5W30 still works well for the Ecoboost, and should work well for the 3.5/3.7.

In the Middle East, Ford recommends 10W30.

• Like 1

I just read / watched the attached video pretty interesting... https://jalopnik.com/heres-how-mobil-1-decides-engine-oil-can-last-20-000-mi-1821604891

I ran 0W20 and discovered higher than normal metal wear after 200hr of run time. I stopped using 0W20 and went back to 5W20 and metal wear stopped and I also reduced the hours of use to 100hrs. Lesson learned. Mobil is selling snake oil.

• Like 2