PTU fluid replacement

shumax

Does the 2016 Sport have a drain plug? Anyone have a write up out there on the fluid replacement on a 2016 Sport?

Thanks!

Shumax

I believe that the Sport 2015+ has the PTU drain plug.

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/10914-ptu-leak-failures/?p=170489

Take a look at the photos in that post and compare it with yours.

Edited by 1004ron
  • Like 1

Does the 2016 Sport have a drain plug? Anyone have a write up out there on the fluid replacement on a 2016 Sport?

Thanks!

Shumax

1) Remove the under body shield on the oil pan side , bunch of torx heads and a few plastic clips.

2) The drain plug faces the ground, uses a torx bit I believe. Remove and drain.

3) Measure the fluid you got out, should be around 700 ml. Probably will be metallic looking from wear.

4) Clean the drain plug, should be some metal on the magnetic end of it. Re-install (2015 Torque spec is 33 lb.ft)

4) The fill plug is directly under the rear turbo, same style as the drain plug (See 1004Ron's post).

5) Grab some 75W-140 gear oil, I recommend AMSOIL Severe Gear, or Motorcraft. 1 bottle per flush you plan on doing.

6) Fill with a hand pump, roughly 650 ml, at about 700 ml the fluid will start to spill out of the fill port. Total fill capacity is 700 ml.

7) After you get the roughly 700 ml in and it stops dripping, put the plug back in, clean any metal off the magnet. (2015 Torque spec is 33 lb.ft)

8) Re-install the under-body shield.

9) Drive it and then check for leaks, if you plan on doing multiple flushes drive enough to heat up the oil.

The oil that comes out smells horrible, so enjoy! :drop:

Depending on your mileage you might also want to get an oil analysis done. OAI Testing is pretty good.

Edited by Beezz
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

I replaced the fluid on my 2017 Sport. 22 oz came out of the PTU! Double the capacity stated in the user manual. I filled with OEM synthetic and it took 22 oz as well. The change was done at 7500 miles, sort of early for this, but since crawling under for the oil change, it was an easy change to do. The fluid was liquid, and dirty. The drain plug has a magnet, and had typical shavings on it.

Does anyone know if there was a design change in 2017? Btw the fill and drain plugs are Torx 50. However the T50 felt a little loose but worked. The torque spec I found was 33 ftLbs. While I did torque it to that, that did feel pretty tight. The seal is metal to metal, no o-ring or crush washer, so perhaps that tight makes sense.

Hi All,

I replaced the fluid on my 2017 Sport. 22 oz came out of the PTU! Double the capacity stated in the user manual. I filled with OEM synthetic and it took 22 oz as well. The change was done at 7500 miles, sort of early for this, but since crawling under for the oil change, it was an easy change to do. The fluid was liquid, and dirty. The drain plug has a magnet, and had typical shavings on it.

Does anyone know if there was a design change in 2017? Btw the fill and drain plugs are Torx 50. However the T50 felt a little loose but worked. The torque spec I found was 33 ftLbs. While I did torque it to that, that did feel pretty tight. The seal is metal to metal, no o-ring or crush washer, so perhaps that tight makes sense.

That's what mine held, and only that you mentioned the manual I took a look and it states the capacity as 11.8 oz which is clearly incorrect - very odd.

My 2017 Sport has almost 4k miles on it. I have had it for maybe 3 months? Anyway, if the PTU is having heat issues and the OEM stuff is crap (no surprise) then I might as well go ahead and put some real oil in it. I have been a huge Red Line junkie for years! Both my 350z and BMW 335i had Red Line products in various systems, and those cars were modified and tracked... the stuff WORKS, excellent brand.

So, it looks like I am lucky and my PTU has a drain valve? The Red Line website doesn't even acknowledge Ford Edge vehicles, but I guess because our PTU is sold as maintenance free. Either way, it looks like their 75-140 GL5 Gear Oil (popular in F150 trucks) would be perfect for this application since it is literally designed for maximum heat protection. As far as the engine, they told me 1st oil change is free... and I think these cars do have automatic oil change indicators but I would rather do it now (get both done at 5k miles, engine by them and PTU myself). Hopefully they will do that and get their freebie out of the way, plus I am assuming they will do a vehicle inspection at that time as well, and top off stuff like washer fluid. Once I start doing my own oil changes, it will be Red Line (just saying). I plan to add Red Line water-wetter to the coolant eventually as well. The rear diff, or RDU I believe you guys call it, can probably wait until about 25k miles for it's oil change.

Bouncing ideas, any thoughts? Am I missing something? Hmm, might as well throw in a K&N air filter too, looks like 33-5000 model number for $50 free shipping. Now I just need some catless 3" downpipes ;)

Cheers

Edited by Xephiron
  • Like 1

If heat is the killer of PTU's, then the answer is 100% ester based oil. Redline and Motul both make readily available 75W-140 ester gear oils. I wouldn't be so hung up on brand, both are excellent oils. It can't hurt to upgrade the oil.

I put Redline Water Water in new vehicles the day they come home. There is no reason to wait.

Redline oil in the engine is unnecessary and expensive overkill. Mobil 1 5W-30 is one of the best oils available and is great for the 10,000 mile OCI's.

I wouldn't bother with air filters or downpipe's just get a tune. My tuned 5 Star tuned 2.7 F-150 is amazing. Still searching for a tune for my 2.0 Edge.

• Like 1

Thanks, all. Is the hand pump required to fill it back up?

Shumax

Yes, Actually I bought a Big syringe...

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B075NKV4CR/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It has measurements on it so it helps for an accurate fill. In my case I had the front end up on supports, so if filling such that fluid runs out the fill hole, I would have overfilled because of the slant the vehicle was on.

Not sure that the OEM PTU is "crap," as it is 100% synthetic. My way of thinking is that regular fluid changes are key. But that said, next change I'll probably go with an ester based synthetic.

After the free 5K dealer change I then changed the engine oil and PTU at 7500. BTW, I believe the dealer oil for the engine is only semi-synthetic so I wanted that out of there soon as possible. I am more worried about our valves coking as a result of the direct fuel injection than actual engine lubrication...hence the desire for synthetic engine oil.

I have not yet decided on a catch can....can't really find definitive answer on it.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

I am going to be changing out the PTU fluid on my 16 Sport this coming month. The service manual makes it seem pretty simple and from the above info it sounds like it. Question though....I am getting the Amsoil 75w-140 in the EZ-Pack....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NU7_Mrpf9A8

For those that have done it, is there enough room to use it like the video shows or will I still need a pump?

Just want to make sure I have everything I need.

Thanks

Jason

I am going to be changing out the PTU fluid on my 16 Sport this coming month. The service manual makes it seem pretty simple and from the above info it sounds like it. Question though....I am getting the Amsoil 75w-140 in the EZ-Pack....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NU7_Mrpf9A8

For those that have done it, is there enough room to use it like the video shows or will I still need a pump?

Just want to make sure I have everything I need.

Thanks

Jason

No need for a pump.

There's enough space for me to use the standard Royal Purple bottles, and the EZ-Pack would have even more space.

• Like 3

I did change the PTU fluid today. Pretty simple with the right tools and plenty of room to use the Amsoil EZ-Pack. The old fluid ran out pretty freely and didn't have the strong offensive odor most seem to say it has. I am guessing it was still in good condition rather than being burned up. While I had it up on the quickjack lift I put on the winter wheels and changed the engine oil/filter.

Very pleased with how easy the PTU is to access on the 16 Edge Sport.

• Like 3