Ford Build Quality

MaX83_ZA

So I have owned my 16 Edge Sport now for 5 months. I drove 10 000 kms in the 5 months (which is a lot for me) and am starting to build a strong opinion of the vehicle and would like your input on whether I am being over critical.

I recently moved to Canada, In South Africa, I exclusively drove German cars for the last 10 years, M135, 328 M Sport, 335 Active Hybrid, A6 3.0T, Audi TT, Golf 7 GTI PPK, etc etc. So when we got the Canada, my only requirements for a new car was, it must be big enough for the family, it must do 0-100 in about 6s or faster and it must be something that was not available in SA.

Enter the 16 Edge Sport with 15 000km on the clock.

So I really like the following points:

* The car really drives and handles like a car, especially on the optional 21s. Look, it is nowhere near my M135 or TT but for what it is, it is pretty darn good.

* When you jump on the gas it really hauls @ss. I am amazed at how something this big can accelerate this fast with a 2.7 V6 Turbo motor.

* Its got a lot of space in the boot (trunk)

* Excellent consumption on the open road, low to mid 8l/100kms are fantastic!

* Road noise at speed is very good, even with the big tires.

What I really dislike:

* When it snows, I use the one wipe wiper function a lot. I have noticed 3 times, that using it too much causes the system to "freeze" and the wipers wont work... Terrifying when driving in snow at night.

* Sync 3 looks great but it has frozen multiple times and it feels like I am beta testing software for Ford

* Xenon headlights do not have the lighting power of other Xenon cars I have owned. Again, not good for driving at night.

* The gearbox (slushbox) is soooo mushy and slippery, it almost detracts more from the package than what the engine adds (bring on the 2019 Edge with the new 9 Speed)

* We hit -36 over the holiday and only half the car worked... Memory Seats, Steering wheel, indicators stalks, LCD panel lagging...

* Sunroof refuses to close... It opens ok, albeit a bit slow... but then stops when closing. To the point where you need to use both hands to pull it close. I cleaned the rails (all 5) and added fresh dielectric grease and still wont close on its own. Will have to take the car to Ford to sort out.

* The doors seam is located underneath the car, when driving on ice, it freezes the door shut. When overtaking on a dual carriage there is more snow and ice in the left lane. After 400km the ice was packed to think around the bottom of the driverside back door seam (underneath the car...) that I had to use de-icer to melt enough snow to be able to open it.

I am wondering if I should sell the car and get a Tiguan or maybe even a BMW X1/3. Even wondered if I should look at a 2018 2.0T Hyunday Santa Fe... Those will not be as much fun but from past experience, they tend to work all the time.

What is your Edge experience and am I being hypercritical?

I have a '16 as well (and live in Toronto - so cold as well) and I've never had issues with anything freezing up. The head unit screen can be a little slow when it's that cold, but almost all screens are in those temperatures. The transmission is what it is, and is much livelier in sport mode, but nothing to write home about. If you are having issues with Sync 3 I would bring it to the dealer (maybe they'll even upgrade your software for free). I've never had a single issue with mine freezing up. Again, the doors and pano sunroof just bring it to the dealer to work out. Some have problems, and others have not (myself included, although I don't open and close the sunroof that often).

Don't buy a Tiguan (especially the new one - they are absolutely anemic to drive). X1 is small, although the X3 is pretty decent. However, take a look at BMW pricing in Canada, it's outrageous. An X3 loaded up the way most would want, and going to be SEVERAL thousands more than a fully loaded Edge Sport, and nowhere near as fun to drive. Sure you get the brand prestige, but meh. The Santa Fe is probably going to give you a laundry list of things you don't like or are problematic just like the Edge (not saying they are bad or unreliable, just that you can find fault in any car if you really look).

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback Burrcold. I think you are right about just letting the dealer sort the issues out. They are minor (except for the wipers) and not worth going to a boring or more expensive boring car. Think I will just book the old gal in and see if they will sort out the issues under warranty.

I rented the latest model BMW X3 a couple months ago and I was so disappointed with it. I am a huge BMW fan, but this thing seemed like it was merely rushed out to fill the market need without paying any attention to the details that most BMW models are known for. My biggest complaint was how bad it handled and how unbalanced it felt, especially at highway speeds. It was also way under powered (albeit the entry trim level) and the interior was uncharacteristically cheap for a kraut sled. I bet you would also be disappointed in the X3 if you value the way the edge drives. I'd take my 2016 Edge Sport all day, I missed it the whole time I had the X3. I'm sure the X6M is a different story...if I only had $120k to spend. So far I'm one of the Gen II Edge owners who have not had any real issues to speak of (knocking on wood) so I cannot knock the build quality of mine. I also live in SoCal so the cold is never a contributor to potential problems. I agree with your opinion on the edge tranny, its very plain and outdated and it does take away from the cars potential. This has pretty much been the opinion of most owners/reviewers of the gen II edge. I'm sure I'll be jealous and want the new tranny when it comes out. The only other real performance complaint I have is the brakes. IMO they are way too small and weak for a vehicle of this size/power and they fade on me all the time. I've read a lot of posts with people having problems with the pano moon roof, I think this summer I will go thru the cleaning/lube procedure.

Edited by roots57
  • Like 2

Thanks for the feedback Burrcold. I think you are right about just letting the dealer sort the issues out. They are minor (except for the wipers) and not worth going to a boring or more expensive boring car. Think I will just book the old gal in and see if they will sort out the issues under warranty.

Did you buy your Edge 'new' and the first owner?