Engine sounds like an old diesel tractor

Timmah

I have around 42k miles on my 2015 titanium. About 200 miles ago, it started getting this rattling noise like a 2000s VW Jetta. Now it is sounding more like an old diesel tractor.

It happens right at start up and at idle. Goes away at about 1000rpm but comes back during any deceleration and doesnt change with engine temperatures.

I topped off the oil and it didnt change anything

It appears to be coming from the top of the engine by the oil fill/dipstick area. But I havent really looked into it.

Has anyone had this issue? Resolved?

Wonder if the intake valves are coked over? Do you get any hesitation or missing when you take off? Has your mileage dropped in comparison to when you 1st got it?

If you're semi mechanically inclined, I'd pop the intake manifold off & see if you can get a look at the intake valves. I took me under an hour to take my intake manifold off & back on again.

• Like 1

I was thinking something with the timing chain or valves too. No noticeable difference in performance.

We will see what is wrong soon, I’m taking it to the dealer of Wednesday! Although my service guys will probably not be able to hear anything and charge me the 400 minimum for looking at the engine.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

My 2016 did the same thing,was replaced about 8 months ago and 10k miles later is making the noise again. Going to the dealer Wednesday, took it in two weeks ago and they couldn't replicate but now it shaking and rattling like a diesel. 

I found a TSB that stated if the removed the dowels alining the transmission with the engine if they don't replace with new it could cause a reoccurrence. Wonder if the dealers are not doing this.

• Like 1