21" All Season Tire Options?

akirby

Has anyone found a good alternative to the OEM 265/40/21 Pirelli Scorpion Verde? They were great the first 10K miles but got a little noisy after that and now they're really noisy at 23K. But I can't find any decent alternatives. I'm not a fan of off brands - would prefer to stick to Michelin/Continental/BFG, etc. but I don't think that's going to be possible. If not I'll just get another set of the Verdes.

Edited by akirby

I think the reason you are paying so much for the Verdes is because they are pretty good in snow and ice and pretty good on tarmac. I was actually shocked at how close they are in snow and even ice to my Conti Wintercontact I currently have on the car. Its only when we hit -40's the other day where I think the Verdes would've fallen off the edge (so many puns LOL!!!!!)

Anyways, maybe worth going to full summer and then flipping to full winter?

Not worth buying extra wheels and tires and storing them or swapping twice a year (to me). We also don't drive in snow or ice in Atlanta. I can live with the Verdes.

I found a good price at Discount Tire ($211 each) which is cheaper than Tirerack.com after you factor in shipping costs. Trying to get Kauffman to match it.

Why not stick to summer tires?

:thumbsup: As long as you don't live in a place that gets crazy weather, I think summer tires work just fine in the occasional rain. The P-Zeros and the Atturos I have on now did just fine in the rain (just rained in SoCal today actually). I tried to see how much of an effect the rain had and I was really surprised how well they still gripped during launch and cornering. I didn't expect that. Because I couldn't detect any substantial loss of grip compared to my experience with all seasons, I'll probably run summer tires for the duration of my time owning this car. I'm sure the AWD helps too, esp during launch.

Because it was 8 degrees last week and regularly gets down into the teens and sometimes single digits in Atlanta. And I don't want to change tires or store an extra set of wheels and tires.

8 degrees F i presume? In which case I understand. There was a video uploaded on youtube a couple of weeks ago where the guys from engineering explained tested a set of summer tires against winter tires in very cold temps (no snow or ice) and the summers actually whooped the winter tires... maybe worth a google.

Yes, Fahrenheit. It's just too cold for me to feel comfortable running summers year round. They're also significantly more expensive than the Verdes.

I just wish I could get more than 25K out of tires. The only vehicle that got more than that was the 08 Edge with 18" Michelin Latitudes. Even then it was only 35K or so. Must be the roads and temps around here - we certainly don't drive that aggressively.

Out of curiosity, at what tread depth did you replace the Latitudes? Seems the Premiere LTX is deceiving in that regard since it wears down quick initially then holds its ground for the remainder of rated life.

Honestly I don't remember, but it was pretty close to the minimum.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Ended up getting a replacement set of the Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Seasons 265/40/21 for $1K out the door including free replacements no questions asked from Discount Tire. The noise is gone! Not sure if one slipped a belt or if they just get loud after 20K miles. Worst case I’ll just buy a new set every 2 years.

• Like 1

Out of curiosity, at what tread depth did you replace the Latitudes? Seems the Premiere LTX is deceiving in that regard since it wears down quick initially then holds its ground for the remainder of rated life.

Do the LTX get slippery in the rain after the initial wear down? All my experience with Michelin is with LT M/S.