2009 Edge Help

pmoylan66

I recently had gas tank recall work done at my local dealer. Ever since then, when I fill my tank, my gas gauge only shows 3/4 full and smells of gas. I never had this issue prior to the recall work. I have taken it back twice for the dealer to correct this, but the problem is still there. The only thing the dealer was finding was a kinked hose. I suspect that the tank was not installed properly. Any suggestions as to why the tank gauge isn't reading properly and the gas smell?

What problem was the recall addressing? It seems reasonable to assume that there is only one reason why the gauge isn't reading correctly and you smell gas, and that's due to the reason you already suspect...the repair was not done properly. Is it a Ford dealership? I'd speak to the service manager one more time and give them a chance to get it right and let them know that your next call will be to Ford since the repair is part of a recall.

Hi, I have a 2009. I am not sure what your problem is, but I would be curious to find out how it is ultimately solved. I have some information to share that might help and share a similar problem.

I have not had the recall performed on my car yet. I actually was hoping the recall would fix my problem where my gas gauge only goes to ¾ as well. Here is what happened with mine. My gauge worked fine until I was hit in the back (rear-ended). The gas tank did not have to be replaced, but ever since then, my gauge only goes to ¾. I assumed, incorrectly, that the fuel pump that also is the gas gauge sending unit was somehow damaged and had that replaced. It was replaced, with no resolution, still only ¾.

Another thing I noticed on mine is the “counting down” of miles until empty is off. It will hit zero at the correct time, but will say I have only 50 miles to go when in fact I can probably go 125. It then counts down slowly (meaning I drive 4 miles and it is only reduced by 1 mile). Prior to the accident, it was very accurate. Does yours also have that issue.

Anyhow, I was actually hoping that the tank replacement might fix my issue – where it has now caused yours. I was possibly wondering if a baffle (if it has them) was knocked loose and somehow is getting in way of the measuring unit. Just guessing of course. I am not sure our problems are related, but it is funny it is the same issue. Let me know if your miles to empty reading has changed like mine has.

The gas smell could be some gas spilled on your interior when they performed the repair. Gas can smell for quite a while. Easy to tell – get back there and smell around your carpet in the back.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Just an update on our situation. It's been 6 months and the problem has not been resolved. We've had the gas tank replaced, a couple of hoses and even the sending unit. Fuel gauge is still malfunctioning. When we fill it, it only registers less than 3/4 of a tank. The gas smell appears to have been resolved and was due to gas was actually leaking from the top of the tank and would splash back up onto the bottom of the tank. This seems to confirm our suspicion that the recall work was not done properly. If it was done properly, gas wouldn't have been leaking. However, since the fuel gauge issue still persists, the check engine light keeps coming on & going off. We've taken this back to the dealer at least 4 times since the original recall appt.

As much as I didn't want to, I did finally call Ford to complain. I explained the entire situation and how frustrated I was and that these issues weren't present until the recall work was done. I was frank with him that there is no reason for these issues to be occurring, especially since they replaced the tank. Although the rep was courteous and did listen to my complaint, he said he could only recommend continuing to work with the dealer that did the recall work because the work they did has a 12 month warranty there. He did say that he would pass along the complaint to the dealer's service manager. At this point, I'm not feeling very confident in the dealer's ability to resolve this. My next avenue will be to file a complaint with DMV if the dealer can't get this resolved, although I don't want to.

• 3 months later...

Just a quick follow-up on my reply in this post where I had a similar gas gauge issue (you can read about it above). I just got my Edge back from having the gas tank replaced as a result of the gas tank corrosion recall. It seems to have resolved my issue. I just filled up and the gauge went all the way to full. It hasn't gone past 3/4 for over 3 years now and I always fill it completely when refueling. I guess I should have had the recall done earlier... :doh::doh::doh:

• Like 1