Considering A New Edge

PearlWhiteGT

We currently own a 2009 MKX with 103K miles. It's currently in the shop right now dealing with an anti-theft issue not allowing the car to start and it has been there since December 20th so got me thinking of trading it in for a new Edge. Looking at an SEL model to help save money. The ones I've looked at online all have the EcoBoost 4 cylinder engine. I know nothing about this engine so can you fellas fill me in on it. Is it a good to go engine for the long haul? I'd like to keep this vehicle for 10+ years if possible. Also, would I have to purchase the extended warranty through the dealer I purchase the car from or can I shop around from other dealers? Local dealer has ridiculous prices for their warranty plans.

10+ years should be no problem. There are some complaints about the injector ticking noise (only outside the car not inside), carbon buildup on the back of the valves and some delays in the transmission downshifting. I have the same engine in my Fusion with no issues. You'd really have to drive it yourself to see if you like the performance.

You can buy the warranty from any dealer including online any time before the factory bumper to bumper warranty expires.

Thanks. So I was doing some reading and just noticed that they come with auto start-stop. I don't know too much about this feature but I have driven a vehicle (Chevy Cruze) that had it and I absolutely hated it. It felt so weird when it would go into action at the stop lights. This is something that might steer me away from the Edge but won't know until we actually drive one. Do all of the Edge models have the auto start-stop feature?

Right now it’s only on the 2.0 but it does look like it may be on all models going forward. You can turn it off after you start the vehicle but we don’t know yet whether you’ll be able to disable it via a menu option. Given it’s for fuel economy purposes - probably not. Unfortunately it will probably show up on most vehicles within the next few years so it may be difficult to get away from it regardless of mfr.

Is the SEL model worth the extra $$$ compared to the SE model?

That’s really up to you and what you value. You can see the order guide to see exactly what is different between the SE and SEL and decide how much that stuff is worth to you. It’s worth it to me but may not be to you.

Nothing wrong with the V6 EXCEPT that the water pump is internal to the engine and if it fails it may destroy the entire engine. It’s not a common failure but it has happened a few times.

• Like 1

I came across a 2017 Lincoln MKX Premiere with about 4K miles priced at $31,998. It's about 3 hours away from me so not that easy to go take a look at it. Been looking at some of the Edge's that come with a V6. Found one SEL with cloth interior for about $27,295 and a few SEL's with leather starting at $30K and up. Local dealer has a few 2017 SEL's with leather and the V6 but want around $32K.

Well that MKX I was looking at is Sold already so back to the drawing board. All these Direct Injected engines seem like problems down the road with carbon build up and we would really like to be able to buy something and keep it for a long time. Not interested in always having a car payment and don't have the money to just buy one outright.

I came across a new 2017 Edge SEL with the V6 about 6 hours away from me priced down to $20,596. Seems like a good price. Going to contact them about it and see what I can do.

Edited by PearlWhiteGT
  • Like 1