2016 Edge Sport (G2) Front & Rear Sway Bars

snmjim

I also stopped by Pep Boys yesterday to grab something and for kicks had them give me an estimate for installing my new bar, guy tells me $275 for the labor. I laughed in the guys face and told him that price was actually insulting. Thats roughly 4 hrs of labor to loosen like 6 or 8 bolts, swap out the bar, then tighten them again...ridiculous! If it takes a mechanic 4 hrs to install this bar, he should look for another career.

• Like 3

Got my bar in finally. Glad I decided to wait until I had the shaft collars. It looks like there is plenty of opportunity for the end link studs to start ripping into the parking brake module if it migrates sideways just a tad in either direction. I highly recommend adding them to this mod! Just from the short drive I took, I could immediately notice the reduction in body roll. I played it safe and went with the lighter setting for now.

post-44888-0-64068000-1534291250_thumb.jpg

post-44888-0-51635000-1534291317_thumb.jpg

Edited by roots57
  • Like 4

Got my bar in finally. Glad I decided to wait until I had the shaft collars. It looks like there is plenty of opportunity for the end link studs to start ripping into the parking brake module if it migrates sideways just a tad in either direction. I highly recommend adding them to this mod!

Great information :detective: with good photos :camera: Thanks :salute: . Was there room to put the lateral lock / shaft collars on after the sway bar was installed or did you have to put them on first ?

• Like 2

Great information :detective: with good photos :camera: Thanks :salute: . Was there room to put the lateral lock / shaft collars on after the sway bar was installed or did you have to put them on first ?

There's room to put them on afterward, on either side of the brackets too. You can also measure the bracket spread and then add the collars before you put the bar on, but its probably easier to just put them on after. Plus, that way you can be more precise with centering the bar and the amount of play you allow for with the shaft collars.

• Like 4

I got mine from McMaster Carr, they're just two-piece hard anodized aluminum shaft collars w/ stainless steel bolts. I paid the same as you guys, $30 for the pair.

Your McMaster Carr collars look better and more beefy than the Whiteline collars and they cost the same. What is the part number of those?

Your McMaster Carr collars look better and more beefy than the Whiteline collars and they cost the same. What is the part number of those?

6436K143 for the 2024 Aluminum

6436K39 for the 303 stainless

9633T22 for the 316 stainless

They also come in black oxide, zinc plated, and chrome plated.

• Like 4

I found a front tower brace for my 2018 Edge and installed it yesterday........took about 45 minutes and was a great fit.

Seems to have tightened up the front end on turns...now to get rid of the Pirelli tires for something better (very limited by 21 inch size), so I may go to 20 or 22's

This the right page for these products?

https://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/124/1262/=1e6yhfy

Looks like snmjim and SpecialK have another addition for their already extensive performance mods page :)

Manu, please put this post in the "Ultimate" build topic so SpecialK can add it to the list...thnx! Edited by snmjim

For anyone not in the United States purchase from here: https://www.globalindustrial.ca/p/motors/collars/power-transmission-collars/metric-two-piece-clamping-collar-gm2c-30-ss or try out amazon in your region. Fastenal is also a good place to check.

Since McMaster doesn't ship to international non business/ non school customers.

global industrial also has black oxide steel collars, but if you're in Canada like me, you will be much better off with the stainless ones.

Edited by Beezz
  • Like 1

Just installed the Sway Bar and will test this weekend.

attachicon.gifWHITELINE LATERAL LOCKS.JPG attachicon.gifSTIFFER SETTING.JPG

Xtra....Congrats on the install!...How long did it take? I will have to have a shop do mine and I would like to have a good idea as to the length of time for the install so they dont pad the labor cost (which is up around $125 per hour)

Xtra....Congrats on the install!...How long did it take? I will have to have a shop do mine and I would like to have a good idea as to the length of time for the install so they dont pad the labor cost (which is up around $125 per hour)

**** I just remembered that I had the dash cam on while the car was serviced and I have reviewed the Memory Card. Total time including a test drive was 63 min.

The Ford book says 1 and a half hr for the job around $200. So you should pay anywhere from $125 to $200.

Mine took two hours to do. With a baby sleeping I did not turn on my large 60gal air compressor so it was all hand tools. That was from the time I pulled into my garage till the time I pulled out. I think I could do it in a hour if I did it again with air tools.

**** I just remembered that I had the dash cam on while the car was serviced and I have reviewed the Memory Card. Total time including a test drive was 63 min.

The Ford book says 1 and a half hr for the job around $200. So you should pay anywhere from $125 to $200.

Mine took two hours to do. With a baby sleeping I did not turn on my large 60gal air compressor so it was all hand tools. That was from the time I pulled into my garage till the time I pulled out. I think I could do it in a hour if I did it again with air tools.

Thanks guys...good to know

I think the Whiteline collars will be fine, they should provide plenty of stability for keeping the bar centered. I only got mine from McMaster because the stuff gets delivered from their local warehouse the next day, sometimes even the same day if I place orders in the morning.

• Like 1

now to get rid of the Pirelli tires for something better (very limited by 21 inch size), so I may go to 20 or 22's

The Atturo AZ850 tires I have now are a decent low-cost performance tire in 21", I'm pretty happy with mine so far with just about 10k on them now. Will be buying again for sure, they are a fraction of the cost of 21" Pirelli's (about $125 per tire compared to $300+)

Edited by roots57
  • Like 2

I do not recommend installing the ADDCO bar without lateral locks. The stock OEM sway bar has lateral locks pressed onto the bar. Without the locks the sway bar could possibly shift and cause interference problems. Adding Lateral Locks is a good idea with this bar and car.

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 1

Being the R&D platform, design team and having the first bar SpecialK & I would have to disagree with the urgency but do agree with installing the locks.

However, note that as of today we have been thrashing our platform fairly abusively at times and have yet to find evidence of the bar making any contact in its tight tolerances with the Elect brake calipers or the springs.

Yes, we have ordered locks as well but only as a logical precautionary measure...

BTW, the tolerances change significantly when the car is on the ground and has been rolled out to level the suspension before measuring...;-)

Edited by snmjim
  • Like 2

The Atturo AZ850 tires I have now are a decent low-cost performance tire in 21", I'm pretty happy with mine so far with just about 10k on them now. Will be buying again for sure, they are a fraction of the cost of 21" Pirelli's (about $125 per tire compared to $300+)

I second roots57 recommendation for the Atturo AZ 850'S...Im running mine at 38psi and once you get 'em heated up they become nice and 'grippy'..They are HP Summer tires, so bear that in mind if you have to deal with cold winters.