2016 Edge Sport (G2) Front & Rear Sway Bars

snmjim

I know I'm late for the first batch too, but I'm in for the second batch!

Check first with the contact on post # 48 page 3 of this thread to see if more can be made. Then someone like you will need to get 10 to 12 people to commit to bars for a second batch.

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 3

So John Wright from ADDCO promptly called me back this morning and said he has the rear anti-sway bar for the Ford Edge in stock. So $185 later (plus shipping) I should be getting it in a few days! He also said that there isn't a need for a "second batch" group buy anymore! Anyone can call him (at 800-338-7015 x102) and order one!!! I hope this helps anyone who wanted one but missed out on the first group order.

• Like 5

I have this odd noise coming from the rear end, its hard to describe, but it's not a squeak. It almost sounds like the exhaust is swaying and bumping into some other part of the car (like a hollow tapping noise). It happens when I drive over an uneven bump or go over a speed bump at an angle and I hear the bump/tapping noise once or twice then it stops when the suspension finishes damping out. I posted this here because I only noticed it recently and the last work I had done was the sway bar install. I had the rear wheels off last weekend and none of the rear suspension components seem to be loose or broken or anything. The car seems to be driving/handling fine too. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what this might be? Kind of driving me nuts now! :gaah::shrug:

I have this 'Bonk' also..coming from the rear end also. Started about 2 weeks after I had the Bar installed.I can not get under the car to take a look because the H&R Springs have made it impossible to get my fat head under the car to take a look...Did you figure out what is causing yours Roots?

I have this 'Bonk' also..coming from the rear end also. Started about 2 weeks after I had the Bar installed.I can not get under the car to take a look because the H&R Springs have made it impossible to get my fat head under the car to take a look...Did you figure out what is causing yours Roots?

Reference my post (#219) in this topic thread...

• Like 2

So John Wright from ADDCO promptly called me back this morning and said he has the rear anti-sway bar for the Ford Edge in stock. So $185 later (plus shipping) I should be getting it in a few days! He also said that there isn't a need for a "second batch" group buy anymore! Anyone can call him (at 800-338-7015 x102) and order one!!! I hope this helps anyone who wanted one but missed out on the first group order.

Thanks for the info!

Edited by Nick Halstead

• 3 months later...

Anyone else having issues with the sway bar bushings? I barely have 5k miles on the bar and the bushings are already loose, causing a knocking sound.  

Was thinking of replacing with with Energy Suspension bushings but Id prefer to go back to OEM-style rubber if anyone knows of a source/part number.

Stock replacements

• Ford F2GZ-5484-B

Blue , RH/LH

Require Quantity: 2
    Package Quantity: 1
    Base Number: 5484
    Callout Name: 5484
    $4.88
    $3.40
  • Ford DG9Z-5K484-A

RH/LH

Require Quantity: 2
    Package Quantity: 1
    Base Number: 5K484
    Callout Name: 5K484
    $24.33
    $15.25
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, dmjarosz said:

Anyone else having issues with the sway bar bushings? I barely have 5k miles on the bar and the bushings are already loose, causing a knocking sound.  

Was thinking of replacing with with Energy Suspension bushings but Id prefer to go back to OEM-style rubber if anyone knows of a source/part number.

You should be using the new bushings that come with the bar and putting a VERY light coat of silicone or lithium grease at the bushing contact point. The bar should be allowed to move slightly.

In addition you should also have installed new links & link locks to reduce horizontal movement.

Ensure you've centered the bar horizontally before tightening the link locks...:hat_tip:

Edited by snmjim
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, dmjarosz said:

Yes I installed everything as you described and the setup was tight and noise free for the longest time. There is now probably .030" to .040" of radial play of the bar inside each of the bushings

Horizontal play is ok as long as the bushings are firmly holding the bar, if not buy better bushings but note that the bar diameter is larger than stock.

Recommendation:

If you haven't done so already...we highly recommend that you read this entire topic thread because several members have experienced a so called "Bonk" a few Wks after bar installation of which the common denominator so far tgat has been attributing to this is the curved outlet pipes on the muffler hitting somewhere on the car.

What one has to do with the other, we have yet to identify.

Edited by snmjim
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, dmjarosz said:

Ive been with this thread since almost the beginning,  its definitely not the exhaust hitting the car.  I can physically wiggle the bar inside the bushings.  I'm just a little stumped as to how they went bad so fast and has this happened to others.  

Were they ever snug to begin with?

I just took some advice dmjarosz gave me. There was a squeak coming from the bushings of my new rear sway bar and yes silicone grease was used when it was installed. What I did to stop the squeak was put plumbers teflon tape , (  you know that white tape used to seal threads  ) around the sway bar and greased that for insurance , then installed the bushings over it. This worked like a champ no more annoying squeaks. So thanks to dmjarosz ,:hat_tip: it works great :thumbsup:

Edited by Xtra

2 hours ago, Xtra said:

I just took some advice dmjarosz gave me. There was a squeak coming from the bushings of my new rear sway bar and yes silicone grease was used when it was installed. What I did to stop the squeak was put plumbers teflon tape , (  you know that white tape used to seal threads  ) around the sway bar and greased that for insurance , then installed the bushings over it. This worked like a champ no more annoying squeaks. So thanks to dmjarosz ,:hat_tip: it works great :thumbsup:

Ya know, I'm starting to wonder if using the tape is the cause of the bushings being loose now.

3 hours ago, snmjim said:

Were they ever snug to begin with?

Oh yeah, perfect fit, just like the Energy Suspension urethane bushings I installed on my summer car.  I didnt use Teflon tape and have to grease them once a year but they are still snug 6 years later. 

Problem solved.  There was ~.020" radial play between the bar and bushings.  The paint (or powdercoating, whatever it is) was worn away where the bushing was, allowing room for the bar to move around.  I simply took a razor blade to the bushing, removing a small strip so the bushing could close further.  Re-assembled and all is functioning well so far...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 2/21/2019 at 11:32 PM, Nate Courtright said:

Thinking about getting the rear bar. For those of you who have already,  is it worth it? Significantly reduced body roll and understeer? Or not really that big a difference?

Thanks

I don’t have one, just recently got my Edge, however I will say from my previous car (mazdaspeed3) you will feel a significant difference.  To be honest though, as soon as I put that thing on it was just one headache after the other.  Noises upon noises, plus I went through end-links like a hot knife through butter.  Unless you plan on doing track time with this thing I wouldn’t bother.  

On 2/21/2019 at 11:32 PM, Nate Courtright said:

Thinking about getting the rear bar. For those of you who have already,  is it worth it? Significantly reduced body roll and understeer? Or not really that big a difference?

Thanks

Hey there Nate great question!

If your not one for road racing or as some put it "driving passionately" of which the COPS still call speeding or driving recklessly...lol...you'll be fine running stock. It's for those of us who like to thrash our cars around those curvy roads every now & then.

Note: If I didn't have mine I wouldn't be able to hold those off & on ramps at 65-75 mph, that also includes the H&R lowered springs and 275/20 or 285/19 wheels & tires...:hat_tip:

Edited by snmjim
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, HockeyShot39 said:

ho do i purchase the rear sway bar?

Please read the thread, all info is literally right here....about 10 posts above your question:

On ‎10‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 7:25 PM, TheGrossman said:

• Like 1