Another Headlight Complaint on 2014 Edge

Hello all, It's been a long time since I visited this site. I came back here to see if I can find some help with the poor lighting issue of the projector beams in my wife's 2014 Edge. While she has complained about it since it was bought new, she has really turned up the heat on the subject since our recent move. We now live in a rural community with dark,two-lane,narrow,and curvy roads. Is there something I can do myself to remedy the situation without breaking the bank. One of the service writers at the Ford dealer recommended HID type lights,I looked into this a bit and some are quite pricey. I've read some of the other comments here and looked around the internet trying to find a solution but was wondering if anyone here can offer some simple advice with a quick fix. While can do and have done a lot of my own mechanic work in the past I've never been real good with electrical issues so I'm hoping I can find a simple solution that I can do myself to make her happy.

On another subject related to lighting,this is her second Edge,her first was an '07 model we bought when they first hit the dealership. The '07 model had fog lights,the new one,her 2014 Limited model does not. Without changing the whole front fascia and wiring of the vehicle to add OEM fog lights are there any aftermarket fog lights I can add to her Edge without being too large and looking out of place making it look like she wants to go out run the Baja 1000. Many thanks to all that can help me remedy this.

Don't waste your time with fog lights, they are for the most part only cosmetic. HIDs are really your only option and work really well. Many people suggest the Morimoto HIDs, and even though they are well made (I have them myself), there are plenty of other options for half the price or less. It is not a hard install at all and you should be able to handle it as there are plenty of videos and instructions on how to do it.

If you want near plugnplay, you will need to stick with halogens. There are higher output halogen bulbs you can use, from brands like Philips and Osram. Avoid Sylvania.

https://www.hidconcept.com/collections/9012/products/9012-philips-crystal-vision-ultra-4000k-9012cvb2-bulbs-pack-of-2

There are also high quality LED bulbs meant for projectors, but they do come with a price tag.

http://www.vleds.com/shop-application/application-low-beam/9012-hir2/micro-9012.html

HID works in the projector housing (not as well as an OEM setup, but liveable), but a bit of legwork is required. Not all that bad. Drivebright.com is one option, TheRetrofitSource.com is another.

http://drivebright.com/home/shop/hid-headlight-replacement-kit-new/$89 on sale, cheapest I have seen I think!

You will want between 4000K and 6000K color temp for best output. the closer to 4000K the better. OEM is usually around 4300K.

If you want near plugnplay, you will need to stick with halogens. There are higher output halogen bulbs you can use, from brands like Philips and Osram. Avoid Sylvania.

https://www.hidconcept.com/collections/9012/products/9012-philips-crystal-vision-ultra-4000k-9012cvb2-bulbs-pack-of-2

I'm pretty sure Sylvania is a subsidiary of OSRAM, same company

I switched to these and am well satisied. Cheapest fix without going to HID and adding glare to oncoming drivers.

Philips 9005 X-tremeVision Upgrade Headlight Bulb, 2 Pack https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01C5QY7DW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_7-tyAbPZ3SMSA

I have looked all over the internet for these particular bulbs in your link and cannot find them to fit a 2014 model Edge,are these the bulbs by chance that have to be modified to work. I have watched a couple of videos on Youtube on modifying certain bulbs and it does not seem to be to complcated.

If you really need additional illumination I might suggest a light bar. Putting halogens or HID's in the existing housings is only going to make the existing spread pattern brighter and not provide significant greater/wider illumination. A switchable light bar would provide a greater spread and better road illumination. However, you would have to be aware of having to turn it on or off whenever an oncoming car approached due to potential blinding issues, and you would have to find a place to mount it and wire it up which might be too much of a hassle. Just throwing it out there are as possible solution.

Edited by chefduane
  • Like 1

Actually installed a set of these a week or so ago. Pretty decent difference.

I just ordered these bulbs for mine. Thanks for your review of them. I have been using Silver Stars, but honestly on a rainy night on a dark road, especially new pavement, the Silver Stars are useless. After using the HID look blue tinted bulbs for a little while I have been slowly switching all of our vehicles to high output but non-tinted bulbs. In my Sport Trac I do have Silver Stars, but they are no blue tinted so the output is nice. I thought about an HID kit for the Edge, but as I read about people having issues with the kits not working real well with autolamp and then people having to lower the aim of their lights due to people flashing them due to lights being too bright I just do not see any advantage to the HID kits. Maybe some day I will swap out my headlamp housings for OE HID, but for now the Vosla bulbs will have to do.

• Like 1

Update on the new Vosla +30 bubls I just installed. We had to run some errands this evening so I got in some night-time driving. Very pleased with the performance of the Vosla bulbs. They are not "white" like the Silverstars were, but the actual usable light is much improved, Definitely an improvement over the Phillips LL bulbs that the factory put in there! No regret on making the switch. The GM bulb # is 23342527. The only place I hah\ve found these bulbs as just Vosla bulbs is through a web site called candlepower. The "GM" bulbs are clearly marked as Vosla HIR2 +30 on the bulb base.

• Like 1