She’s dead :(

LUPID

My 2011 Sport was totalled while parked in front on my place on Thursday. Im devastated.

THE CRASH

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mdz3i4fkbj2av4e/File%20Jan%2012%2C%2008%2041%2002.mov?dl=0

THE DAMAGE

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e2zsjl8ftapqcwd/The%20damage.mov?dl=0

I have found 2 replacements, both 2013s. Which would you choose assuming similar condition?

A: 57k mi. No warranty. $19,500

B: 99k mi. 3yr/125k carmax warranty $19,800

Warranty vs miles. Where do you land?

Im leaning heavily towards the low miles.

Thanks

Heh.... "There's Corey (say hi Corey).. and there's my effing smashed to !@#$ car!" Sorry buddy, but yeah, that IS smashed to !@#$!! Terrible feeling but at least no one in your family was injured.

I would agree that the lower miles Edge would be the way to go. When I bought my '11 LTD it had about the same miles on it and was in great shape. I researched buying at CarMax and a general theme was that while they offer a 'CarMax Warranty' in reality they will do whatever it takes to NOT cover anything, or attempt to exclude whatever YOUR particular problem is. I think a Carmax warranty is worthless IMHO. Now they DO have a pretty good selection of cars to choose from, and you can get the one you want even if it is on another Carmax lot (for a shipping fee) but I would not consider their warranty an advantage.

Hope things work our for you.

• Like 2

Sorry to hear what happened. at least your fine. I'm also with chefduane, lower mileage is the way to go, especially with 40K difference. Then again, the lower mileage could have been abused & the higher mileage taken good care of (MacT style).

May I also suggest an alternative, a 2013 MKX (example) is about the same price of the Edge Sport. Same 3.7L Engine, but with more features.

• Like 1

W ... T ... F ....??? I have seen less damage from a deer collision. WOW! Glad you were far far away from the crash tho.

Later MY, Lowest mileage is def the way to go. 2014 would be best, being the last yr of the Gen 1.5. If you are handy with DIY stuff, prob don't need an extended warranty, tho I have found it invaluable to have 1 keeping cars as long as I do.

My 2011 Sport was totalled while parked in front on my place on Thursday. Im devastated.

THE CRASH

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mdz3i4fkbj2av4e/File%20Jan%2012%2C%2008%2041%2002.mov?dl=0

THE DAMAGE

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e2zsjl8ftapqcwd/The%20damage.mov?dl=0

What happened? did the car that hit yours drive away? i'd have a hard time imagining that.

maybe you explain in one of your videos but I'm getting the same video on both links above. am i doing something wrong?

I agree with the lower mileage edge.

this really sucks. i feel your pain. such needless waste.

Sorry.

Here the correct crash link.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/70vppzhzy3vmcut/Crash%20Footage.mov?dl=0

A 23-year-old kid was drunk and going 60 in a 25 mile an hour on a residential street. He hit a dip about five houses away from mine and then got 60 foot of lateral air before hitting the ground and crashing into my Ford. When I approached him he was conscious and asked me to, “get him out of here “. I laughed out loud and said, “nope buddy, you’re staying right here.”

He took a ride in an ambulance after eating an airbag and probably breaking some small bones

• Like 1

Sorry.

Here the correct crash link.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/70vppzhzy3vmcut/Crash%20Footage.mov?dl=0

A 23-year-old kid was drunk and going 60 in a 25 mile an hour on a residential street. He hit a dip about five houses away from mine and then got 60 foot of lateral air before hitting the ground and crashing into my Ford. When I approached him he was conscious and asked me to, “get him out of here “. I laughed out loud and said, “nope buddy, you’re staying right here.”

He took a ride in an ambulance after eating an airbag and probably breaking some small bones

Holy Carp!!!! He's lucky to have survived that at all. What an idiot.

thanks for posting and good luck with getting a replacement.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I would also go for the lesser miles, and if they don't provide one, definitely get a Carfax report.

We were in a similar situation last year with my wife's VW Eos, we bought same year, same mileage replacement (2012, 80K mi) so we could pay cash with the insurance payout. It passed inspection but then the problems started. So I would take your car to the dealer and have them look it over with a fine tooth comb. It's worth whatever they charge to look at the car. Then you can decide what to fix and what not to fix. We kinda wish we would have bought a newer Eos or even a brand new Audi.

You can also ask to be compensated for extra money to pay for that when you go through this idiot's insurance company. That's what we did and they agreed to it, but we did have to take a hard line with them, and it was a work van that hit her so she was able to call the company and tell them her demands.

Edited by Mirage52
  • Like 1

Sorry for your loss. I looked at the video before hearing he was drunk. First thing I said was He has to be "F" up. This looks like one of those small overlap crash tests by NHTSA.

I'm all for the low mileage option. If the low mileage car was serviced it should be great. You have no way of knowing if either one was taken care of. There isn't that much important major service needed before 50,000 miles so just have the fluids changed and you should be good. At 100,000 miles you may have missed the trans,PTO and coolant flushes needed. There are all of the auxiliary systems like charging and tons of electronics that can get funky later in their life.

Is the lower mileage car private sale or dealer? Definitely Car Fax is called for.

Good luck

Paul

Wow ... bummer. Very glad to hear like others that no one was in or around it when it happened. Believe you me, it don't feel good!

Lost my 2011 Limited to an accident, only I was in mine at the time. Also replaced mine with a 2013 Limited I found on car guru. And I went to my favorite Ford dealership [Fox Valley Ford in North Aurora, Il] and they hooked me up with the Ford ESP factory warranty out to 125K! BOOM SHACKA LOCKA!

So that would be something I'd research if I were you. And if you get a no or don't like the terms from one dealership, try another.

• Like 1