Performance vs. other "similar" SUV's

Bamm1

I have the M40i now (sold the Edge).

Interior wise the cargo is smaller, yes. Everything else is pretty much negligible.

It was $18k more then the Edge but comes with more features and safety.... along with a quick, quick 0-60 stock

Yes that's 4.52 to 60 on a stock vehicle with 1775 miles... with +1.0% slope and 93 octane with a VBox Sport

wxghvfE.png

Edited by GT500R
  • Like 3

The current Edge Sport already goes 0-60 in that same range. The ST is at least a few tenths faster. I would say maybe closing in on FuSpo territory for straight line performance.

Ford could put the Raptor motor in the Edge and charge M40i money. But I am not sure that makes business sense given the take rate for the Sport and the expected take rate for the ST.

If you are comparing the current Edge Sport to the M40i and think the 0-60 is in the same range.. we differ on how "range" is defined... 1+ second is not in the same range. I'll have to check but I assume it's almost two car lengths.

If you are comparing the current Edge Sport to the M40i and think the 0-60 is in the same range.. we differ on how "range" is defined... 1+ second is not in the same range. I'll have to check but I assume it's almost two car lengths.

But that only really matters on a drag strip - on the street I’d say the difference is negligible. Just like you think a couple of inches in interior room is negligible.

But that only really matters on a drag strip - on the street I’d say the difference is negligible. Just like you think a couple of inches in interior room is negligible.

Or on the street.... just pulled up the numbers using Vbox that was used on the street -

Stock Edge 0-60 ~ 299 ft

Stock X3 M40i 0-60 ~ 226 ft

Edge car length ~ 16 feet

299-226 = 73 feet / 16 feet = 4.5 cars. That's almost bus length territory... just to 60... not negligible.

I can send the vbox data to you if you want to check it out :)

• Like 2

Or on the street.... just pulled up the numbers using Vbox that was used on the street -

Stock Edge 0-60 ~ 299 ft

Stock X3 M40i 0-60 ~ 226 ft

Edge car length ~ 16 feet

299-226 = 73 feet / 16 feet = 4.5 cars. That's almost bus length territory... just to 60... not negligible.

I can send the vbox data to you if you want to check it out :)

You shouldn't be drag racing on the street, therefore it's negligible in daily driving.

You shouldn't be drag racing on the street, therefore it's negligible in daily driving.

Nice pivot, but there was no drag racing involved, and again shows the difference is huge when accelerating from a light or on a highway :shift:

The current Edge Sport already goes 0-60 in that same range. The ST is at least a few tenths faster. I would say maybe closing in on FuSpo territory for straight line performance.

But back to the original comment, not in the same range.

• Like 1

https://www.edmunds.com/bmw/x3/2018/m40i/features-specs/

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2018-bmw-x3-m40i-test-review

AWD, tho not apparent from the specs.

3.0-liter BMW M Performance TwinPower Turbo inline 6-cylinder, 24-valve 355-hp engine. Combines a twin-scroll turbocharger with variable valve control (Double-VANOS and Valvetronic) and high-precision direct injection

8-speed Sport Automatic transmission with Sport and Manual shift modes and steering wheel-mounted paddle shifters and Launch Control

Notes on cost from C&D

It’s nearly sinful that BMW charges $300 for Apple CarPlay integration when the feature is standard on numerous nonluxury vehicles (let alone BMW’s plan to charge an annual subscription fee come 2019). The M40i does include a stitched, faux-leather wrap for the dashboard; power front sport seats; three-zone automatic climate control; adaptive, full-LED headlights; and an M40i-specific body kit. Our loaded test car added Apple CarPlay, a $500 wireless phone charger, a $900 Driving Assistance package (blind-spot monitoring and lane-departure warning), a $2950 Premium package (navigation, a head-up display, and a heated steering wheel), plus $350 for heated front and rear seats, and a $2550 Executive package (gesture-based infotainment controls, a 12.3-inch digital gauge cluster, a self-parking system, and a 360-degree parking camera). Toss in the aforementioned adaptive suspension and bigger wheels, plus $550 Phytonic Blue paint, and the total came to $65,245. That counts as reasonable in this class these days. You can take a Porsche Macan to $100K and beyond, after all.

Premium Fuel is recommended, but not required

Drop in the MKZ's 3.0EB, may have an even contest, tho I think drivetrain/suspension design holds the Edge back somewhat. Remains to be seen what all the upgrades that snmjim, SpecialK, Xtra, etc are doing will result in.

Even when the Edge has enough power to hang with the X3 M40i u gotta keep pushing it to put the power down. I can hang with em at the track. On the street with launch control, I am not so sure.

But...nobody ever races on the street so no reason to even mention it.

Edited by 037

Well, this is a full second to 60. Could be a difference between an easy highway merge and a less fun one.

For people who never go over 20% throttle in any car, I'm guessing there is no difference.

You don't have to go 20% throttle. Pretty much anything less than WOT and you're not going to notice much.

I'm just arguing semantics here about the term "negligible" in relation to a slightly faster car vs. one with more interior room.

To the drag racer who likes to go WOT the extra power may be like night and day and the extra room is meaningless. But for most other buyers the extra room is significant and the extra power would go unused 98% of the time.

Edge only has 11 more sq feet cargo space. Estimate are putting ST 0-60 in mid 5-6s range. Ford could do better here. Go big, or go home.

This is the "range" I was referencing.

But back to the original comment, not in the same range.

My statement regarding the "range" was referring to the current 0-60 time range for the Edge Sport vs. the estimated 0-60 time range for the Edge ST posted by Nicksteer. Then I went on to talk about the new Edge ST likely getting closer to the times for the current gen Ford Fusion Sport. At no point did I state that any Ford product I referenced fell into the same range as the M40i.