Intermittent no crank no start—new starter

bronxbomerss2

Im hoping someone can help before I have to take the car to the dealership. Out of the blue the other day my 2007 Edge SEL wouldnt start after getting gas. It was a no crank no start. Fuel pump primed and usual and I couldnt hear any audible sound from the starter. After about 10 minutes and numerous attempts the car finally fired right up without hesitation. Drove it home and tried to start it again and after working again I tried a few more times and on the 3rd or 4th try it wouldnt start again. I had the old/ordinal starter tested at autozone and it passed. Wanting to eliminate the possibility of an intermittent starter I replaced it despite my gut feeling. This is my wifes car and she uses it daily to take the kids around town so I dont want it causing issues. Ive used the other key and tried putting the car in neutral when this happens to get it to start and still nothing. Tried wiggling the key in the ignition to see if it was a starter ignitin switch issue but nothing. Im not very good with electricial issues but I suppose it could be a relay issue maybe but I pulled the old starter and all wires and connectors looked near new. This is a California car all its life until it was brought to Illinois last year so there is absolutely no rust or corrosion on any part of the body or undercarriage. Any additional thoughts would be appreciated. Also it appears the PATS system doesnt appear to be an issue either.

If the EVAP Purge Valve was failing wouldn't it throw a DTC? If not, would it do so when I'm able to get the engine running? Like I said i can usually get it to start up by waiting an extended period of time; around 15 minutes or so typically does the trick. I have no CEL and have scanner and came back with no codes when I ran it early today. Just curious if the EVAP would cause a no start versus a hard/rough start.

Very often no codes in the early stages. The valve failures have just started showing up on the Gen 1s. Showed up quite some time ago on the Gen 1.5. Actually the valve is more expensive for Gen 1 than 1.5, almost twice the price for OEM.

Vacuum test the valve. If it can't hold about 21 psi, it needs to be replaced.

I just performed voltage tests on the battery, starter, and starter relay terminal and all came back 12.74 V as they should. This tells me the starter is receiving the necessary power to operate normally and the starter is brand new so I know that can't be the culprit. My suspicion would be a faulty relay (didn't test it yet but did swap out blower motor relay to compare and both failed to start the car when it wasn't running), ignition starter switch, or something else electrical I haven't gotten to yet. Any other opinions are welcomed! If i can't get this figured out by tomorrow I'll have to give it to the dealership to diagnose as I'm mentally exhausted from this one.

well I may have just solved the problem (hopefully). On a last ditch effort I wanted to check the ignition starter switch to see if perhaps that was loose. Well lone and behold I noticed a blue blinking light under the drivers side foot well. I thought that was odd. I clicked the button and it honked the horn as if i was locking the doors. I pulled the trim paneling off and found a little black box. Digging even further I found spliced wires into existing OEM wire runs. I pulled the box and it has a logo that says "Pursuit" and I quickly googled it and see it's an aftermarket alarm system. I bought the car from the 2nd owner private-party so he made no mention of that to me. I disconnected the system and she fired right up! This was immediately preceding a no start! I can't find a part # but it appears many of these systems have a starter disrupt feature; which explains the no start dispute my many attempts of trouble shooting a non-issue! I'm guessing after a certain period of time the system restarts which allowed me to start the car. Fingers crossed this was the issue!!!

• Like 1