2016 Ford Edge Sport AWD Powertrain Limitations

snmjim

Some Ford engineers believe the PTU problems are due to heat but not external heat - just friction from a buildup of tolerances in the different parts when put together in one unit. They also say the PTU fluid is fine for 150K as long as it doesn’t overheat. But once it overheats it’s toast. Since you can’t really tell when the PTU overheats to the point that the fluid goes bad, changing it frequently is a good idea. But if you’re not overheating the PTU it’s not necessary.

I had a PTU warning light come on that said AWD was temporally not available and that I should take it easy for a while . This was on a hot summer day while thrashing a canyon last summer. Within two days of that I had the PTU serviced and the fluids changed to be safe. So I have already changed my PTU fluid once within 8,000 miles. I also change my engine oil every 2,500 miles. I believe that if you run hard one of the best things you can do for your car is keep fresh lubricants. I service much more often than recommended The service people at the dealership will do it for me and say you don't need to do that for another .... miles. I reply do it anyway and they say well if it gives you peace of mind we will do it...LOL if they only knew.

• Like 1

I had a PTU warning light come on that said AWD was temporally not available and that I should take it easy for a while . This was on a hot summer day while thrashing a canyon last summer. Within two days of that I had the PTU serviced and the fluids changed to be safe. So I have already changed my PTU fluid once within 8,000 miles. I also change my engine oil every 2,500 miles. I believe that if you run hard one of the best things you can do for your car is keep fresh lubricants. I service much more often than recommended The service people at the dealership will do it for me and say you don't need to do that for another .... miles. I reply do it anyway and they say well if it gives you peace of mind we will do it...LOL if they only knew.

So a solution to this may be the explorers liquid cooled PTU. ill see if I can't get a part number.

• Like 1

The Ford 2016 Edge Brochure states that the 2.7L Ecoboost Edge Sport has a Selectshift Automatic transmission.

https://www.ford.com/services/assets/Brochure?make=Ford&model=Edge&year=2016&postalCode=65613

Scroll down to Engines/EPA - Estimate Rating and Dimensions and look at the Sport 2.7 EB

When I Google What is a Ford selectshift transmission I got this:

The SelectShift is a "dual-clutch" transmission, the same type used in some of the highest-end performance cars on the road today. A DCT is literally just two dry-clutch, computer-controlled manual transmissions placed side-by-side, connected to each other with a common input shaft and common output shaft. One transmission carries the odd-numbered gears, and the other the even-numbered gears. These transmissions have been around in theory for more than 70 years, but weren't practical without computer controls. In the 1980s, Porsche rediscovered the concept, and did the lion's share of modern development. Most DCTs, including the SelectShift, are direct inheritors of Porsche's design work.

Trust me - not google. Selectshift is not a type of transmission - it’s a feature. All Ford selectshift trasnsmissions are normal torque converter automatics just like every other electronically controlled normal transmission. I know the Ford transmission engineer who worked on the shift calibration for the first Ford selectshift automatic transmission in the 2000 Lincoln LS which was the 5R55N - same transmission used in Ranger and Explorer. It’s just software and a user selectable shifter.

Powershift is the dual clutch tranny used in the Edge Europe automatic diesel. It’s a wet clutch version whereas the North America Fusion and Fiesta got the dry clutch version which had many problems.

• Like 2

id rather be safe........ we will continue to do it at 20K since we like to toss her around a bit

The point is that the fluid breaks down immediately once it overheats. So if you change your PTU oil, then go out the next day and thrash it, you will ruin the brand new fluid and now be driving around for the next 20K on trashed fluid, the same thing as if you hadn't changed it at all.

• Like 1

Since the flashpoint of gear oil is about 400F, what is the point where it is considered overheated? I am thinking low to mid 200s, but IDK.

https://www.efficientplantmag.com/2013/12/lubrication-checkup-gearbox-overheating/

An oil-temperature rise reacts according to the Arrhenius rule—a temperature- change-dependent failure-rate rule—that states for every 18 degrees F (10 degrees C) increase in temperature of the oil, the lubricant life cycle is halved.

Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W

Some Ford engineers believe the PTU problems are due to heat but not external heat - just friction from a buildup of tolerances in the different parts when put together in one unit. They also say the PTU fluid is fine for 150K as long as it doesn’t overheat. But once it overheats it’s toast. Since you can’t really tell when the PTU overheats to the point that the fluid goes bad, changing it frequently is a good idea. But if you’re not overheating the PTU it’s not necessary.

The Sport has a temp sensor - not sure if there's an alert associated and at what temperature.

• Like 1

SelectShift is just ford's product name for the ability to select your gear in a torque converter transmission, aka "slush box."

i was wrong about the european models having a manual gearbox. i just looked at a european ford website and see that the edge there is available with 2 engine/transmission options:

- a 180 HP Duratorq Diesel I4 with a 6 speed manual, so a clutch pedal.

- a 210 HP is the same Duratorq Diesel I4 but with a 6 speed dual clutch "PowerShift" automatic transmission.

see this for info about the PowerShift: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_PowerShift_transmission

Edited by ben senise
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Well we got some bad news folks....on the topic of PTU... the type of fluid is an absolutely necessity to pay close attention to. We had a service Friday and flush trans and PTU fluid. On the way to work this morning dad (Snmjim) did a hard pull on to the highway and immediately after started to experience a very loud whine and an occasional clunky/chunky feeling. Having explained to him what a ptu failure feels like he turned around and went to ford. They put it up on the rack and pulled the drain plug, the wrong color fluid came out (confirming incorrect fluid) along with metal shaving and chunks.

They are replacing it under warranty, and till its replaced our R&D Pace will be slowed for a bit.

Sorry in advance,

Special_K & Snmjim

• Like 1

Wow, not good :swear: :gaah: You try to take care of your car and this happens. At least they will step up do the right thing and replace the PTU. Man this sucks, sorry for your loss and completely unnecessary.

Thanks Xtra, it was completely unnecessary however they have blown my father and I away in customer service!

Also, all parts are on hold for materials so I guess its better that I happened now than later.

• Like 2

That better not be covered under warranty (Ford Motor Company paying for it) and better be on the dealer's dime. Not Ford's fault the service wasn't done correctly.

Incidentally this is one of the main reasons why Ford does not recommend servicing the trans or PTU fluid.

• Like 1

That better not be covered under warranty (Ford Motor Company paying for it) and better be on the dealer's dime. Not Ford's fault the service wasn't done correctly.

Incidentally this is one of the main reasons why Ford does not recommend servicing the trans or PTU fluid.

So your saying that since their technicians are incompetent we should suffer with a less reliable part due to lack of maintenance ......yea not happening

• Like 1

So your saying that since their technicians are incompetent we should suffer with a less reliable part due to lack of maintenance ......yea not happening

He just said that’s one reason they make the recommendation.

And dealership technicians don’t work for Ford.

• Like 1

seems like a silly reason to skip maintenance imo. its haunting them on the police interceptors.

It’s a liability issue, nothing more. Also, Ford believes the factory fluid is good for 100K+ miles if it never overheats, which is probably true. And once the fluid does overheat, it’s toast, even if you just changed it last week. Regular fluid changes are all you can really do but it’s still a crap shoot as to whether you caught it in time.

• Like 1

I'm saying that the probability of screwing up the maintenance is greater than the probability of the maintenance preventing a failure. At least that's the theory. But your case just proved the theory true!

Edited by Waldo
  • Like 2