2008 Ford Edge Rattle and stall

ssander7

Hi Everyone, I'm new to the forum and just trying to get an idea on where to start with my investigation of my issue. My Edge started this rattling noise about a week ago. I noticed that during a cold start (I live in Florida) when we had a slight cold spell the car would start, but upon acceleration it begins a rattling sound and slightly stalls, I let up on the gas, give it a sec then it goes fine. As the car continues to roll and "warms up" I don't hear it as often.

Since it began, its gotten worse, with the rattling and stalling. It seems to happen up to about 40-45 mph. In other words, it doesn't happen at all once I'm on the freeway or traveling above that mph.

Any ideas. My husband mentioned the transmission as a possibility?

Thanks!

Welcome! The 2 most common culprits for rattles from the engine are

a] a non-Motorcraft oil filter, and

b] timing system, specifically stretched/loose timing chain(s)

Normally the filter rattle goes away after startup, but the timing system rattle can persist. First, try using the Motorcraft FL400S filter and see if that makes a difference. If it does not, checking with a mechanic's stethescope in the front cover/timing cover area will be worth it. If the rattle is confirmed as coming from there, a big job (can be DIY) likely lies ahead: timing chains, phasers, tensioners, VCT solenoids and water pump.

So, start with a new oil filter and go from there. Make sure the oil level is also at the top of the hashmarks on the dipstick, and that the oil is clean (not muddy or dirty).

• Like 1