2011 Ford Edge SEL Shifting Issues

Gootz

My 2011 Ford Edge has 98k miles on it and has never had any clutch or trans issues until recently. It only happens under acceleration at the higher gears (like accelerating onto the freeway). Once it's in 4th or 5th gear it struggles to engage into the next gear(s). I checked the clutch and trans fluids, both were within normal operating range and neither were noticeably dirty.

I took it to AAMCO to have them check for any codes, they found none. They also drove it around, but could not replicate the mis-shifts, so they returned the car with no solution. The frustrating part is it almost always happens when I drive it, so maybe they didn't get on the freeway and just drove surface streets.

I was thinking of doing a trans fluid exchange, but I don't want to just start throwing money at it to see what fixes it. I'm not a mechanic by any means, but I used to work on my cars a lot and do most of the upkeep and service before I had more responsibilities like a family and what not. I'm guessing it is the trans given it only happens in the higher gears, but I'm open to any advice you have.

So I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this issue or if you have some advice on how to solve this. Is it more likely to be the clutch or the trans?

Thanks in advance!

That doesn't quite sound the same as my issue since the TSS/OSS sensors and the issues described in the related threads describe a reverse or 1st/2nd gear issue.

Would any codes be thrown if it were one of those sensors? Just curious if these would have registered as issues when AAMCO ran their OBD2 code sensor on it.

Doing a trans fluid exchange is hardly throwing money at the vehicle LOL. The 150K fluid life is way overrated, 60K from the getgo is a more decent interval. So I would do the exchange if there is no debris in the fluid AND the fluid is not burnt.

Not sure what you are referring to as clutch fluid, but I assume same as trans fluid.

The sensors will throw codes, but only after the condition has advanced significantly, possibly resulting in hardware wear and the need to change other electronic components as well.

Past due for plugs, and PCV valve. Clean the MAF sensor, throttle body. Any/all of these engine parts can cause problems that masquerade as trans issues.

• Like 1

Doing a trans fluid exchange is hardly throwing money at the vehicle LOL. The 150K fluid life is way overrated, 60K from the getgo is a more decent interval. So I would do the exchange if there is no debris in the fluid AND the fluid is not burnt.

Not sure what you are referring to as clutch fluid, but I assume same as trans fluid.

The sensors will throw codes, but only after the condition has advanced significantly, possibly resulting in hardware wear and the need to change other electronic components as well.

Past due for plugs, and PCV valve. Clean the MAF sensor, throttle body. Any/all of these engine parts can cause problems that masquerade as trans issues.

Ditto you are over due on a lot of maintenance. Time to start spending money on the plugs and ALL THE FLUIDS Brake, trans, powersteering and COOLANT!!

• Like 1

I just bought an OBD2 reader and saw that there was a #5 cylinder misfire. After reading these responses and thinking it through, I do believe it's overdue on the following services, so I'm going to set up an appointment asap.

Spark plugs

PCV valve
Clean the MAF sensor and throttle body
Change the power steering and engine coolant

This is my wife's car, so I'm guessing it's just getting neglected...

If I find anything else out I'll share. In the meantime, thank you for everyone who chimed in.

• Like 1