2008 ford Edge water pump blown apart

NeckDlight

You might be jumping a few steps blaming the waterpump right away.

I dont think a puff of steam when the waterpump lets go is very common because they often leak into the engine. Check Check Check everything else first, the old keep it simple stupid comes to mind. You dont want to spend the time changing the water pump or engine if it was just a hose or clamp that let go. Once the engine registers the overheat it will cut power, sounds like that is what you experienced. Running low on coolant can cause this, especially if you've been idling.

Tell tale signs that the waterpump is to blame is coolant disappearing into the oil and timing related codes. You've got to do lots of digging before you see the waterpump itself.

I've done the waterpump replacement in the Edge, I have the cam tools I can loan out if you don't want to buy a set. The harmonic balancer remover is a common loan a tool from the parts houses - they say it is for Chryslers but its the same tool.

^^^^^^ you were correct. From the day the vehicle overheated on me I was hoping it was something easy. I just automatically assumed I never have that such of good luck where it's something easy. Once I took a little deeper and I found the cooling fan wasn't kicking on. Turns out the cooling fans were worn out. Once I got my new cooling fan assembly in and turned the a/c on max the cooling fans turned on. Also I took that high pressure switch off the a/c line and the fans instantly kicked on. So as of right now I got her fixed. I'm not sure how long the fans weren't working but I can tell you back in the summer I remember getting out of the car at a gas station and hearing the fans kick off and thinking hey there's the fans turning off. The past couple months it's been cold and I haven't have the unfortunate opportunity to sit in traffic on the highway.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Water pump blown apart, OH!, I have a picture of that. So, reading through all the threads, I think, about what to replace, I still haven't been able to find the torque specs for all the bolts I've been taking off. I do have a calibrated elbow. I was able to vacuum most of the old water pump out by sticking the 37 amp shop vac to the timing gear side of the block and a water hose to the top of the heads. Used the same process for the heater core and radiator.

Recovered about 70% of the old impeller. That was alot of water. The local Ford dealer's parts department has been working with me on the cost with $390 spent on parts. They didn't have the secondary tensioners in stock. It's a damn good excuse to be hold up in the garage with an adult beverage. Torque specs would be greatly appreciated. Imagine having a 37 amp shop vac! Me too.

water-pump-parts-1.jpg

Specifications are for an 08 Edge 3.5 : Caveat emptor!

Oil pump bolts :  89 inch pounds

Water pump bolts : 89 inch pounds

Oil pan drain plug : 20 foot pounds

Right hand primary timing chain bolts : 89 inch pounds

Left hand primary timing chain guide bolts : 89 inch pounds

Primary tensioner bolts : 89 inch pounds

Left hand VCT housing bolts : 89 inch pounds

Right hand VCT housing bolts : 89 inch pounds

Engine oil filter : 44 inch pounds then 180 degrees