GPSM module location and replacement

I thought I would help someone else out after spending a lot of time trying to figure out how to replace the GPS module (GPSM) on 2012 Ford Edge Limited.

I had the red X gps icon on the nav screen and a compass stuck on last known direction. This occurred after having a weak battery which led to a failed start, jump start, and battery replacement.

Everything else seemed fine and operational except the compass and the nav location. Attempted all of the resets/master reset, pulling battery cables for extended periods of time in/out of garage and checked the gps fuse all to no avail.

Purchased new GPSM from ford (part: DT4Z10E893-A

Found a lot of conflicting information about where this module was actually located but knew that it would have to be located under the top of the dash. After tearing out the head unit and glove box with no success I ended up finding it behind the instrument cluster. Pretty simple to replace once located.

Many have posted that the module needed to be reprogrammed by the dealer, but after I installed the new module everything came back to life. The compass righted itself within a mile of neon driven and the nav was fully functional again.

My wife is happy to have her nav working again and the repair only cost me about $65 and an hour or so spent looking for the location of the module. In my research I found that some were quoted $500-$1,000 for the dealer to replace so I hope this information helps someone else some time and money.

• Like 3

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Yeah, so good luck with that, but I couldn't find any direct videos either. I had watched videos on how to remove the touchscreen, and then worked my way through it carefully on my own. You only need to remove the trim piece from the left side of the touchscreen, and then start moving pieces out of the way until you can get the cluster out. Also try looking for the video on removing the cluster from the 2011 MKZ. They are a little different, but may show some similar things to watch out for.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My location on the map was frozen to a fixed point from a few days ago. Nav was useless. Thanks to the forum and some Youtube searching, I followed a few other blog fixes and took a shot at replacing the GPS antennae module (DT4Z-10E893-B) mentioned here $48 shipped). IT had fixed a few others with this symptom

The MKX video above was not correct for my 2011 Edge. The closest thing to being correct was this very vague video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBE9lPqbFyY. (but thanks to the poster of that, it's still helpful)

In reviewing both of the videos, a reasonable method to remove the cluster was:

pull the left side trim off the console (shown in the first video)

using a non marring pry tool, pull the plastic housings up and out on both sides of the steering wheel (push button start switch on right, and seat memory on left)

with the housing dangling, remove 2 7mm screws hold in the trim piece around the cluster

the material that covers the gap between the adjustable steering wheel and the trim pops out easily at the attach point above the steering wheel (grab the material near the steering wheel attach point and pull up. Pops right out)

remove the trim piece

2 7mm screws hold in the cluster

after that, there's access to the GPS Antennae module. It really helped me to have the new part in hand to be able to identify it tucked up on the underside of the dash and to see how it mounts into the fixed holder . Pull left and up to remove (right side fits into a slot in the holder, on the install I bent the left side out enough to snap over the housing to hold it in place)

End result - GPS location now works, NAV now functioning!

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
On 1/10/2020 at 5:00 AM, Rizsin23 said:

Do you remember where exactly it was located? How could you tell?

The above information is incorrect if you have the OEM system in the vehicle yet.  A 2014 would have SYNC2 or MFT (MyFord Touch) in it.  The above info pertains to SYNC3 which came standard in 2016 and up Edges.

For SYNC2 most vehicles have the GPSM above and to the right of the instrument cluster.  I can't confirm this for the 14 Edge though as I don't currently have access to service manuals.

12 hours ago, jmr061 said:

I just verified with the 14 Edge service manual the GPSM is located behind the instrument cluster.  You need to remove to the instrument cluster to get access to it.

thanks for the info. I should have updated the post. You are correct, right behind cluster to the right. Very easy to get to. I unplugged mine, as I am running sync 3 and it doesn't use that gps module.