2008 Edge FWD drivers side axle seal leak.

NeckDlight

So I have replaced my transaxle seal on the passenger side twice now and I still have a drip. The first time I did it I am pretty sure it was my fault and didn't drive it in strait. The second time I'm pretty sure I buggered the seal because "here's the interesting part" I drove the seal evidentally too far in. It and I had to pop the seal back out and reinstall it. I'm pretty sure I buggered the seal taking it out. I hoping the third time is a charm. The second time around I even got the Ford seal with the plastic protector you put in when sliding the intermediate shaft in. It appears there is a area where the seal seats. Like a 3/4 of the way in the hole the intermediate shaft slides in and the diameter is smaller where it seats. I should have measured how far in the seal was in on the original seal removal. I'm hoping what I have described makes sense. This car has started to be a pain in the rear any info would be greatly appreciated.

Installing the seal correctly is usually the trick in the driveline, whether is it the axle or the PTU in question.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drCJmqBuWJQ

I wish there was a video on installing the driver side transaxle seal. On this on this video it looks like it is the driver side axle seal that they are replacing. I do believe the driver side seal is different than the passenger side seal. From looking at this video it appears there is a lip on the seal that you run flush with the housing itself. Almost like once that lip on the seal is flush with the housing you don't have to drive it in any further the passenger side is a little bit different. Again this is a front wheel drive Ford Edge and not a all-wheel drive.
  • Like 1