Is the liftgate opening height adjustable on a 2011 Limited

topdri68

I purchased a 2011 Edge Limited a couple years ago. I am 6'1" tall. Can I adjust the height on the liftgate? I am not seeing anything online. I have seen some articles that say No. If not, could I install the mechanism that opens the liftgate from a newer edge. I think the adjustable liftgate started in 2012. I cal push mine higher manually but not automatically. Thanks for any help! Todd

I do not believe it is adjustable, as I do not see any mention of a process for it in the owner's manual. Weak struts can make the liftgate not open fully, so maybe new struts will help with full extension. That's what it did with mine (manual liftgate) before I installed new struts.

EDIT: 2015 was the first MY where you could adjust the height, AFAIK. Lower, not higher.

Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W

I have not seen that particular spec anywhere, though various body dimensions are listed, as they are important for alignment purposes. These of course are mostly independent of suspension and height off the road.

The struts I am referring to are the 2 struts, not the power arm. The power arm is used to simulate the manual effort you would initially apply to the opening of the liftgate, but the two struts do the rest of the work to lift.

EDIT: Other model lines received the adjustability feature earlier than the Edge. Case in point, the Escape, as seen in this video

Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W

Like Can't reset the height on the 2011 Edges. I think that started in 2012 probably following major complaints of tall people banging their heads :) And to akirby - yes you can manually push it up another inch or two. I was looking for the vehicle to do the work. As mentioned by WWPerfA above maybe replacing the two struts will help as they could be worn. All the power arm does is simulate a person limiting it - the struts do most the work. I ordered them and will put them on when I get a second and post back to the forum. Thanks for all of the advice thus far.

You would need new struts to go with, the oem sized struts for 2011 would not extend that far. plus there might be clearance issues between the roof and the edge of the liftgate (there is a weatherstrip there). These designs are kinda fixed in place. might be better to have swing door like they have on some Chevy SUVs or on vans. IDK ...

Thanks! Do you happen to know what the opening is supposed to be from the ground to the liftgate? Would I need to replace the two struts on either side or the strut / mechanism that pushes the liftgate up?

Mine measures 72-1/2". I was able to push it up to 75-1/2". (My old struts still open ok, but probably need replacing ad they can't get the liftgate all the way up).

What does your liftgate measure when open?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

BTW did you ever try resetting the opening height? Mine doesn't have this feature, but I belief that you open it, then manually set it to the height you want, then press and HOLD the soft button on the open hatch, until you hear a chime, indicating that the new height has been set.

• 1 month later...

I'm 6'2" and have been routinely banging the top of my head for a few years. But last week I hit my forehead!! Game changer. So I measured how high the liftgate was opening....68 1/2".

Lift support pair was $29.34 on Amazon Prime for the same Monroe's MacT used. An easy DIY job anyway, but made even easier by MacT's video (thanks MacT!).

BTW, if your'e doing this by yourself, my liftgate surprised me and dropped as soon as I pooped off the top of the first support. Wow, these things are shot! And the liftgate is pretty heavy. And puting the support on with one hand while trying to hold it up is not really an option. So I suggest you grab something long handled (I used a the telescoping pole I wash windows with and adjusted it to the perfect length to prop it open - but just about anything 6' long will do). A breeze to change by yourself after that

So new lift supports installed in less than 5 min. Now opens to 72 1/2". Now I'm back to like new - factory settings - just hitting the top of my head

:banghead:

• Like 1