Purchasing a remote start - way to increase range on the 1-way?

Hey guys,

Right about to buy a 2013 Ford Edge, great deal on it. SEL with 80K for $10k! No sunroof is my only complaint:(

Anyways im looking at buying the factory remote start kit. The one way kit, simple plug and play (and programming) that works with the 2 included factory remote start key fobs.

I know Ford has the 2 way system that requires a seperate fob and a more detailed expensive install, im shying away from that due to expense, involved install, and having a a separate remote start fob.

I know i cant get 2-way range out of the 1-way but are there any tips or tricks to increase the range of the 1 way system? Is there a special way to mount the antenna for better range? Maybe resting on the quarter trim in sight of the window instead of attached to the metal quarter. Or is there a beefier antenna option?

Part of me wonders if Ford actually limits the range on purpose, (as a security feature) like it can tell how far away the FOB is and limits it via software? If thats the case i'm boned.

Anyways any help would be greatly appreciated!

Edited by sgkukov

The one way kit (100 series) use the remote start antenna that is connected to the TPMS in the rear drivers side quarter panel. The use the factory IKT fob and limited to line of sight.

If you want to increase distance, hold the fob up to your chin.

If you want longer range (1000), then youll need the separate fob and aerial antenna.

Longest range? Would be the cellular based remote access kit.

No shenanigans on fords behalf. Simply a limitation of the key fobs range vs the stepping up to the aerial antenna and separate fob. The longer range kits need the VSS as they are beyond line of sight capable kits.

If yo want longer range, you need to select one of those options. The installation is really not that much more difficult, maybe an extra 30 minutes or so.

• Like 1

The one way kit (100 series) use the remote start antenna that is connected to the TPMS in the rear drivers side quarter panel. The use the factory IKT fob and limited to line of sight.

If you want to increase distance, hold the fob up to your chin.

Thanks for the response, ive read that the remote start function doesnt even have the same distance as the unlock/lock functions on the key fob. If it had the same distance that would be good.

The 100 series gets installed in the quarter... i wonder if there's any tips or tricks or mods to increase range a bit.

Do i need the hood switch on the 100 series?

Edited by sgkukov