2011 Edge 3.5L - Strange Noise when Applying Torque

SweetCandyEdge

Hi,

My wife's 2011 Ford Edge has started to make a sound when applying the gas pedal while driving. Initially I thought it was an exhaust issue however the sound does not exist if the car is not in gear (ie revving does not produce this sound). The sound only happens when in gear and is much more noticeable when starting for a stop. My wife describes this as the 'race car' sound as it is very noticeable in the car.

This does not seem like an engine issue. Could it be transmission, PTU, torque convertor or something else?

Any help is appreciated.

TIA.

Could be several itemp based on your description. Start by isolating: while slowing down (and making sound), take the car out of drive. This will eliminate sounds coming from the engine (power steering pump, and belt would be suspicious). If it continues, brakes, rotors, pads, transmission and ptu.

There is no noise when the transmission is not engaged. There is also no noise when the transmission is engaged but the brake is applied. The noise only appears when the gas pedal is applied and is worse when more gas is applied.

• 2 weeks later...